Food & Drink

How many packs of seaweed (Nori) can I eat a day?

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2018 9:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2003
1570 posts
168 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

How many packs of seaweed (Nori) can I eat a day?

I'm referring to the Nori/Kelp packs that are sold as individual snack packs of 5gs.

I snack on 2 packs daily. Any issues of having too much iodine eating like this?
24 replies
Member
May 13, 2010
377 posts
156 upvotes
Ottawa
Can't speak to Nori but my relatives in New Brunswick used to eat dulse by the fistful without apparent ill effect. They also smoked and chewed and many lived to mid 90's. In the end I don't think it will be weed that takes you away.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 2, 2006
6004 posts
676 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
qabloona wrote: Can't speak to Nori but my relatives in New Brunswick used to eat dulse by the fistful without apparent ill effect. They also smoked and chewed and many lived to mid 90's. In the end I don't think it will be weed that takes you away.
Dulse while a local delicacy, is f***ing disgusting. To quote a fat friend who eats anything upon his first time trying dulse "i've eaten some nasty p***y before but that was the worst thing I've ever tasted"
--
I like detailing cars!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2003
1570 posts
168 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
m4gician wrote: Dulse while a local delicacy, is f***ing disgusting. To quote a fat friend who eats anything upon his first time trying dulse "i've eaten some nasty p***y before but that was the worst thing I've ever tasted"
lol, you don't say
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2007
1142 posts
570 upvotes
Toronto
Read the ingredients list, and you'll be eating zero per day.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9610 posts
3879 upvotes
Toronto
m4gician wrote: Dulse while a local delicacy, is f***ing disgusting. To quote a fat friend who eats anything upon his first time trying dulse "i've eaten some nasty p***y before but that was the worst thing I've ever tasted"
might be a difference in flavour between different brands but i've had dulce before and it's far from the worst tasting thing i've ever tried.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
ChiGGz wrote: I'm referring to the Nori/Kelp packs that are sold as individual snack packs of 5gs.

I snack on 2 packs daily. Any issues of having too much iodine eating like this?
2 packs is fine
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: 2 packs is fine
Unless one might be on a strict sodium watch: 65 mg sodium per 5g package.
Fat=2g.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Unless one might be on a strict sodium watch: 65 mg sodium per 5g package.
Fat=2g.
If you weren't able to consume 65mg of sodium, then you'd know. You'd have to have an extremely severe health condition to not be able to consume 65mg of sodium. Which is less sodium than a pinch of salt has and the amount of sodium in a Diet Coke at mcdonalds.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: If you weren't able to consume 65mg of sodium, then you'd know. You'd have to have an extremely severe health condition to not be able to consume 65mg of sodium. Which is less sodium than a pinch of salt has and the amount of sodium in a Diet Coke at mcdonalds.
130 mg when you eat two.
It adds up if you desire more.
It also takes away from other foods when watching sodium intake, especially soups.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: 130 mg when you eat two.
It adds up if you desire more.
It also takes away from other foods when watching sodium intake, especially soups.
Not sure what soup has to do with this, but 130mg is still less sodium than a pinch of salt has.
It's ridiculously low, if you were on dialysis, I'd think you know. Or something as severe as that.

All this salt fear mongering is getting a bit overboard.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9608 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto
m4gician wrote: Dulse while a local delicacy, is f***ing disgusting. To quote a fat friend who eats anything upon his first time trying dulse "i've eaten some nasty p***y before but that was the worst thing I've ever tasted"
Sound like a great idea for a blind taste test.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 9, 2006
12065 posts
2672 upvotes
2 packs is nothing. OP you shouldn't worry, unless the rest of your diet is horrible.

But for science, the average amount of sodium one should consume is 2300mg per day. If each pack is 65mg of sodium, then that's 35 packs. OP you can eat up to 35 packs per day.

Each pack is only 5g, so it should be noted that the sodium is really high. Those 35 packs are about the same weight as McDonald's large fries... but in terms of sodium, the seaweed has roughly 6.5 as much sodium as the large fries.

EDIT: Grammar
Last edited by joeyjoejoe on Feb 6th, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: Not sure what soup has to do with this.
If the restriction is 700mg per day and the soup is 680mg, then both the soup and seaweed snack together are over 700mg.
The missing information would have to be what the maximum intake of sodium per day is when watching such a thing.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: If the restriction is 700mg per day and the soup is 680mg, then both the soup and seaweed snack together are over 700mg.
The missing information would have to be what the maximum intake of sodium per day is when watching such a thing.
Still has nothing to do with the OP asking if he can eat 2 packs of seaweed or not. Not to mention 700mg's of sodium per day is extremely low. People on dialysis are recommended to keep intake under 2000mg's. What you're suggesting is not logical. Nor is your random assumption the OP is consuming soup that has an extreme amount of sodium. In fact, if anything you should be recommending the OP to leave 1 tablespoon of the high sodium soup in the bowl instead of telling them to not eat 2 packets of seaweed.

Also to note he was concerned about the iodine content. Also no clue why you listed 2g of fat, once again thats nothing to worry about.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: Still has nothing to do with the OP asking if he can eat 2 packs of seaweed or not. Not to mention 700mg's of sodium per day is extremely low. People on dialysis are recommended to keep intake under 2000mg's. What you're suggesting is not logical. Nor is your random assumption the OP is consuming soup that has an extreme amount of sodium. In fact, if anything you should be recommending the OP to leave 1 tablespoon of the high sodium soup in the bowl instead of telling them to not eat 2 packets of seaweed.

Also to note he was concerned about the iodine content. Also no clue why you listed 2g of fat, once again thats nothing to worry about.
I think you missed my point all together, or maybe you are just over thinking this.
I never said do not eat seaweed.
I simply suggested that from what I can see, sodium has a higher potential to be the issue, but mainly for people who prefer to keep their sodium count down.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13578 posts
2375 upvotes
City of Vancouver
ChiGGz wrote: I'm referring to the Nori/Kelp packs that are sold as individual snack packs of 5gs.

I snack on 2 packs daily. Any issues of having too much iodine eating like this?
I have never tried this. Where do u buy it? Is it expensive?
De gustibus non est disputandum
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 8, 2003
1570 posts
168 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Becks wrote: I have never tried this. Where do u buy it? Is it expensive?
You'd find it in most asian grocery stores. Buy the ones that are separated into individual servings, not the big sheets.
Since you're in Vancouver, check out T&T.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16830 posts
3978 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote: I have never tried this. Where do u buy it? Is it expensive?
ChiGGz wrote: You'd find it in most asian grocery stores. Buy the ones that are separated into individual servings, not the big sheets.
Since you're in Vancouver, check out T&T.
The one I was actually speaking of earlier in this thread is this one: http://shop.gimmehealth.com/Organic-Roa ... lth@Sheets

But yes, there are other choices out there...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Top