• Sep 13th, 2020 10:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1779 posts
1115 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…

How many reusable masks?

I have been buying/making masks since before the recommendations. Part of it was to find the best/most comfortable masks. I am curious on how many masks people have especially those with kids in school. I feel we have a lot.

Kid- use 2-3 (usually two) masks at school and on the bus ride there and back a day. We also send 3 disposables as emergencies if they are finding it extra stuffy that day or if someone forgets a mask. For their after school activity (hasn't started yet) we will also send a mask, this also include medical appt (one of my kids is recovering from an injury so we have lots of those) Then on weekends if we go out, we always have one or two during the weekend. ~20 masks
Me - I work from home most of the time, but still volunteer, run errands, shop, take the kids to their appointments, occasionally go into the office. I use about a mask a day (on average).
Spouse - works from home but has two in person meetings, playing a sport, plus the occasional errand.

When I calculate if I only want to do laundry once a week for the masks, we use up to 60 (max) masks a week. It seems closed to about 30 right now.

Just totally curious what others are doing. I am beginning to think I have a mask addiction.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2171 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
Having a lot of spares is a good thing but if you have 60 I would stop there. It's like how you have extra clean clothes in the closet or dresser. I think for a family of 3 we have around 15 to 20 but my son uses disposable masks because the reusable ones are too big him (the elastic bands are too big and the mask droops down below his mouth). I bought like 300 of them for the school year just in case.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jun 4, 2013
472 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
I have about 400 surgical mask and KN95 mask since Feb/March. Now I have about half of them left. Me and wife use them almost daily. We do have reusable mask that we can put a filter inside. Had about 300 or so reuseable filter. I was thinking of switching to the reuseable mask but things got worse around Aug so Surgical/KN95 mask is still better. Might start using the reuseable mask once I am actually working from the office instead of WFM.

I usually have them stock since wife and I tend to go back to China twice a year and the air quality isn't the best around the winter time so using a mask is pretty normal for us.
Jul 24, 2019
604 posts
749 upvotes
Canada
Macx2mommy wrote: I have been buying/making masks since before the recommendations. Part of it was to find the best/most comfortable masks. I am curious on how many masks people have especially those with kids in school. I feel we have a lot.

Kid- use 2-3 (usually two) masks at school and on the bus ride there and back a day. We also send 3 disposables as emergencies if they are finding it extra stuffy that day or if someone forgets a mask. For their after school activity (hasn't started yet) we will also send a mask, this also include medical appt (one of my kids is recovering from an injury so we have lots of those) Then on weekends if we go out, we always have one or two during the weekend. ~20 masks
Me - I work from home most of the time, but still volunteer, run errands, shop, take the kids to their appointments, occasionally go into the office. I use about a mask a day (on average).
Spouse - works from home but has two in person meetings, playing a sport, plus the occasional errand.

When I calculate if I only want to do laundry once a week for the masks, we use up to 60 (max) masks a week. It seems closed to about 30 right now.

Just totally curious what others are doing. I am beginning to think I have a mask addiction.
Just a suggestion. Maybe stop volunteering for a bit. Would help keep you safe. IMHO
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13415 posts
8373 upvotes
Think of the Childre…

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5697 posts
1506 upvotes
Mississauga
ds2chan wrote: Having a lot of spares is a good thing but if you have 60 I would stop there. It's like how you have extra clean clothes in the closet or dresser. I think for a family of 3 we have around 15 to 20 but my son uses disposable masks because the reusable ones are too big him (the elastic bands are too big and the mask droops down below his mouth). I bought like 300 of them for the school year just in case.
how old is your son? mine is 3... turning 4...

mine has a small face so I've tried a few cloth masks... the ones from old Navy fit great...5 for $15
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2171 posts
812 upvotes
Toronto
Ducky wrote: how old is your son? mine is 3... turning 4...

mine has a small face so I've tried a few cloth masks... the ones from old Navy fit great...5 for $15
My son is 10. His head has always been large. Ever since my son was 4 he's been wearing an adult touque and baseball cap (he's wearing the same ones now but the cap is adjustable with velcro so I am able to make it larger when needed). So, adult masks are a tad large but kids masks are too small. The disposable masks seem to be the best option. The disposable masks are not drooping that much in front of his face but you can tell that they are a little loose.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5138 posts
1939 upvotes
Toronto
Oh tons, but most of that is essentially due to buying a new type of clothing item for the first time that also happens to be non-returnable. Bought a couple packs of the Old Navy ones because those were one of the first reusable ones out and masks were still in short supply at the time, but they don't fit very well and aren't that comfortable (they ride up under my glasses a lot). So it's been trial and error, buying different ones from different places. I probably have close to 20, but half of those I'll probably never wear again. It hasn't really been a success from the eco-friendly aspect of buying reusable masks.