Entertainment

How many streaming services is too many?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 9:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4531 posts
377 upvotes

How many streaming services is too many?

I recently added HBOmax to my streaming services. When I got rid of cable back years ago, I used to pay around $140 a month with all the good packages. So I've kept my budget around that for monthly entertainment for the family.

So currently I'm subscribed to the following.

Hulu
Disney+
Netflix
Crave with HBO
Amazon Prime with Starz
HBOMax

Some I pay for annually, while others are monthly. Rough cost is around $150 a month. It's just like having cable, but with the benefit of watching shows and movies anytime and anywhere without commercials.

Haven't factored in cost on Internet and VPN.

It sucks that its turned back into cable service where instead of packages you buy their streaming platform, but there's basically no way around it. All these corporations are after your money. Instead of licensing their content to already existing services, they're cutting out the middleman and going right after your wallet.

Finally I can watch Raised by Wolves and Ghosts on HBOmax and lot of classics like Seinfeld and newer movies. And can't wait for 'The Boys' to return on Prime.

Might cancel Crave now that I have HBOmax and Hulu for Disney +.

Haven't tried yet: Peacock, CBS, Paramount, or Apple TV. Heard Apple has some decent shows.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
1383 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, probably makes sense to cancel Crave if you have HBOmax. I hate Crave with a passion, lol. Terrible UI, no 4K or 5.1 audio. Definitely not worth the money in my opinion.
xpoint9 wrote: Haven't tried yet: Peacock, CBS, Paramount, or Apple TV. Heard Apple has some decent shows.
Apple TV + has some amazing original shows. Ted Lasso is the best! But they don't have a enough original content to justify keeping it year round. Can probably binge watch everything and then cancel. Can sign up again if they release a new show that you want to watch.
If you like scifi, they are releasing "Foundation" in Sept and "Invasion" in Oct.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
xpoint9 wrote: I recently added HBOmax to my streaming services. When I got rid of cable back years ago, I used to pay around $140 a month with all the good packages. So I've kept my budget around that for monthly entertainment for the family.

So currently I'm subscribed to the following.

Hulu
Disney+
Netflix
Crave with HBO
Amazon Prime with Starz
HBOMax

Some I pay for annually, while others are monthly. Rough cost is around $150 a month. It's just like having cable, but with the benefit of watching shows and movies anytime and anywhere without commercials.

Haven't factored in cost on Internet and VPN.

It sucks that its turned back into cable service where instead of packages you buy their streaming platform, but there's basically no way around it. All these corporations are after your money. Instead of licensing their content to already existing services, they're cutting out the middleman and going right after your wallet.

Finally I can watch Raised by Wolves and Ghosts on HBOmax and lot of classics like Seinfeld and newer movies. And can't wait for 'The Boys' to return on Prime.

Might cancel Crave now that I have HBOmax and Hulu for Disney +.

Haven't tried yet: Peacock, CBS, Paramount, or Apple TV. Heard Apple has some decent shows.
You probably have too many, but you may feel differently. Really it comes down to if you feel you're getting value from what you're paying. I have D+, Prime, Netflix, and AppleTV+ (free 6 month trial though). I also share some of those with my parents and inlaws. And I "supplement" the services with Kodi if there is a specific show that I can't find on them but I hardly use it, at least nothing in comparison than I did 10 years ago.
I think if you were spending $140 before and are at $150 now, that's pretty good, considering inflation. And I wouldn't consider internet as a part of the total because you probably had it before and would need it anyway, streaming or not. If anything you're getting more value from your internet now because you are streaming.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2016
1727 posts
813 upvotes
BC
I have;

netflix (4k turkey)
D+
paramount+ (got it discounted $30 for 1.5yrs from here in RFD but rarely used it, mostly for movies recently released)
ATV+ (havent paid for more than a year)
amazon prime (thru prime sub)
nba league pass (thru india)
youtube premium (thru india)
F1

but basically I only paid D+ ($90/yr) and F1 ($60/yr) in 'regular' price.. the rest thru tricks from here in RFD...
mainstay will probably be netflix and D+ due to kid-friendly shows... I use itunes for D+ and it still shows $90 annual, hopefully stays the same until my sub is over...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1999 upvotes
Bell Fiber 1.5Gbps ... $59.99+HST per month

That is it!

IMG_20210506_222443.jpg
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17728 posts
771 upvotes
I've been thinking about this a bit too. I don't have as much time on hand as I would like.

We have:

Netflix
Disney
Prime
Apple+

Netflix is well used and so is prime. Disney we get for like $70 a year so it is super cheap and is used by the kids a decent amount. Apple + is free too but won't be renewed after January 2022.

I find money isn't the issue, it's time.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2011
3322 posts
432 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
We have no cable only streaming. Internet connection is excellent with Telus unlimited data PureFibre Gigabit internet.

1. At&t Now with HBO Max and Showtime Anytime

2. Disney Package: Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+

3. Prime Video

4. Peacock

5. DirectTv with Starz and Epix and NFL Sunday Ticket

6. Paramount+ ....got on the prime day special

Used to have YouTube tv and Slingtv but At&t as double the channels so...Might get SN Now because they have NHL Live now
Images
  • 20210806_155615.jpg
  • 20210806_155631.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2626 posts
1182 upvotes
Montreal, QC
let's see, i have the following:

netflix
disney+
crave
amazon prime
criterion channel
mubi (using my student discount)

there's also kanopy but i need to reactivate my library sub to have it free
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8668 posts
5626 upvotes
Toronto
chaos1105 wrote: Yeah, probably makes sense to cancel Crave if you have HBOmax. I hate Crave with a passion, lol. Terrible UI, no 4K or 5.1 audio. Definitely not worth the money in my opinion.
Crave is an embarrassment and it's insane that's the only legit legal way for Canadians to access HBO content which for me is where all the good shit is. I don't pay for it directly and just have it through my condo corps included cable package but I literally just use it to find out what's new to pirate because the quality is so bad on Crave that I get a better experience just downloading rips.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
10229 posts
2187 upvotes
Victoria
We currently have:

Netflix
Disney+
Prime
StackTV
Discovery+

We share Disney+ with family, and family shares Netflix with us, so we're only paying for 1 sub between the 2. StackTV is temporary because I like a show called Alone on the the History Channel. I'll turn off the sub once the season is done.

I guess it does add up. I do think people were daft when they thought streaming would be cheaper. On the flip side even if it works out similar to cable there's a few benefits of streaming. No Commercials (StackTV you really need to remove your own content commercials), on demand, and you can easily cancel/resume whenever you want. No having something stuck into a bundle, or having to call the cableco and wait on hold. This makes it way easier to sub when there's something you want to watch, then cancel it when there's not. Then you have a few core subs like netflix, and rotate the other ones in/out.

It would also be nice if we got direct access to thinks in Canada like Discovery+ or HBO Now. Cut out the middle man and get the content directly. Hopefully as time progressed, the content providers will stop licensing the writes to Canadian telco/cableco's and opt to sell their wares directly.

That would also create an interesting future. What would Canadian channels look like if they couldn't license US/Foreign content.. lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3677 posts
747 upvotes
Kingston
I have:

- Netflix (shared with parents to keep costs down)
- Disney+ (which I get for free from a friend)
- Plex (which I share with the friend that I get Disney+ for free from)
- Prime (I never use it, but it is included with my Prime subscription for buying things off of Amazon)

Streaming services are nice and all but when you have a Plex server and can get any content from any streaming service for basically free, why would you subscribe?
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2865 posts
1343 upvotes
Burning B.C.
I have a bunch of streaming services. But they include a number from other countries that you can access for free (because they're free in the country in question) when you use a VPN. You'd really be surprised at what you find on these services. For example, "The Good Fight" and "The Handmaid's Tale" come to mind. Both are on SBS, the Aussie service. There are also lots and lots of movies and series from all over the world. And lots of sports. You have the option of using the app or watching on the Web site. The ones I use are:

BBC iPlayer (Find a Brit post code and answer "Yes" when they ask if you have a TV licence)
From Australia:
SBS
Seven Network
Nine Network
TVNZ from New Zealand
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
4531 posts
377 upvotes
TheHans wrote: I have a bunch of streaming services. But they include a number from other countries that you can access for free (because they're free in the country in question) when you use a VPN. You'd really be surprised at what you find on these services. For example, "The Good Fight" and "The Handmaid's Tale" come to mind. Both are on SBS, the Aussie service. There are also lots and lots of movies and series from all over the world. And lots of sports. You have the option of using the app or watching on the Web site. The ones I use are:

BBC iPlayer (Find a Brit post code and answer "Yes" when they ask if you have a TV licence)
From Australia:
SBS
Seven Network
Nine Network
TVNZ from New Zealand
Hmm I'll have to look into those
Nov 13, 2014
581 posts
607 upvotes
Westmount, QC
I personnaly have Netflix, Disney+, Prime and my GF has Hayu. I use Plex for whatever else.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2563 posts
770 upvotes
Lévis
Wow, I have netflix and crave. Will eventually cancel crave. Despite being superior than Netflix in some ways, it's expansive for what you get IMHO. Neither impressed me anyway.
Last edited by SPARTACVS on Aug 12th, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20758 posts
6575 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: Bell Fiber 1.5Gbps ... $59.99+HST per month

That is it!

IMG_20210506_222443.jpg
No Bell where I am. No Rogers where I am. Currently up for renewal on Shaw. Offered 500/100 which is worse in the DL department than what I got for what I am paying now for 600/20 ($100) or else I can get 1 Gig/100 for $115/ month. Take it or leave it...
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4474 posts
4642 upvotes
GTA
DougO wrote: No Bell where I am. No Rogers where I am. Currently up for renewal on Shaw. Offered 500/100 which is worse in the DL department than what I got for what I am paying now for 600/20 ($100) or else I can get 1 Gig/100 for $115/ month. Take it or leave it...
Geez I hope someone else sets up shop in your area soon. I'm sure Shaw will suddenly become a bit more competitive then...
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
20758 posts
6575 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Geez I hope someone else sets up shop in your area soon. I'm sure Shaw will suddenly become a bit more competitive then...
TBaytel (our indie phone company) is it. No one is coming here. Outlying areas being serviced by Tbaytel paying same price as me for 5 - 10 Mbps, so $100 a month. Most people i know have switched to Starlink now when it became available and are enjoying a 2000% increase in speed. Tbaytel says they will enter those areas in the next 5 years but most people I know up there are in their 70s. How long do they figure everyone has to live? My best bud in that area is chomping at the bit as his unit has been delayed. He was supposed to get it in June but it was delayed until "sometime this summer". It's still not there. I think Shaw is trying to lock in as many customers as possible as the prices *might* go down if/when Rogers absorbs them...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18852 posts
2535 upvotes
Woodbridge
It's great to have friends who hook you up. lol

Technically, not paying for any. I didn't sign up for amazon Prime for streaming but for the other reasons.

It's actually the least used...

YouTube Premium (4 months free)
Netflix
Disney+
amazon Prime

I only get Crave for Billions. It's back next month! I also get DAZN for 4 months, look at my avatar. lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)