Fashion & Beauty

How many undershirts and boxers do you own?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2018 5:52 pm
Jun 12, 2016
715 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
mebiuspower wrote: 5 pairs of underwear one for each day of the week.
and go commando on weekends! Awesome...
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1883 posts
4598 upvotes
FHill
I have 30+ pairs of various styles of underwear as I business travel weeks at a time and don’t have to rush to do laundry. I don’t own true undershirts as I use tees when I need.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
roblombardi wrote: Wait a second... do you wear the same socks two or three days without washing them??? Astonished Face

To answer the thread... i got like 20 trunks and 12 undershirts
2 or 3 days without washing? I go 2-3 weeks without washing socks. That includes gym socks. Why would I wash merino wool socks more often than they need to be washed? They don't stink easily so what's to wash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: If you did laundry once a month (for example), where do you store all the dirty laundry? Isn't that just requiring more hampers and space etc?
My clothes don't need to be washed more than once a month. My underwear take up very little space. I don't wash my clothes after just one wear (except underoos), unless they're visibly dirty. It takes about a month for me to put enough stuff into the hamper for it to be full. [My husband's pile up quicker so he does our laundry about once every 2 or so weeks. If it was just my stuff, he could easily let it pile up for a month.]
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Gee wrote: Once a month? What about towels, bed sheets? When do you wash those? Once a year?
My reply was about clothing.

Not sure why you'd assume towels and sheets get washed once a year.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
amz155 wrote: Not sure why you'd assume towels and sheets get washed once a year.
I assumed laundry was done once a month, if you spend the one day to do clothing, when do you do the rest?
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Gee wrote: I assumed laundry was done once a month, if you spend the one day to do clothing, when do you do the rest?
Speaking of towels...i have more than 1! I can throw an old towel into the laundry pile and wash it once a month too.

Bedsheets is something I have not thought of yet. Although we don't wash them too often anyways
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
flyingnurse wrote: Speaking of towels...i have more than 1! I can throw an old towel into the laundry pile and wash it once a month too.

Bedsheets is something I have not thought of yet. Although we don't wash them too often anyways
Bed sheets need to be washed at least once a week.

Your body sheds dead skin, if left unchecked, bed mites will have a feast and you will be rolling around in their fecal matter for an entire month or more.

You also sweat and create a nice warm environment for other pests.

People think that by using a towel after a shower or bath it should remain clean. You have no idea what happens to a damp towel sitting in your bathroom. I would describe it to you, but it is too disgusting to discuss.

I'm all for saving the environment, but washing a towel once a month is just wrong.

The part I don't understand, assuming you're a nurse, don't they teach you the importance of sterilization? Cleanliness?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1982 posts
1028 upvotes
Vancouver
It also depends on your your washer and dryer. Living in an apartment my washer/dryer is small so I have to do my laundry once a week(max 1.5 weeks).
In terms of wasting water. If you have the newer washer that's front loaded they actually are very water efficent and don't waste much water.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand why everyone is getting on the OP's case. I live in an apartment and I don't get enough clothes dirty every week to do a full load of laundry for whites/colours/etc.

- I have about 25 pairs of underwear. 5 stay in my emergency/travel bag and the others stay in the drawer.
- I have maybe 6 undershirts in the 'only wear it under your work clothes' sense, but I have another 3 or 4 plain t-shirts I can wear outside plus another 7 dark solid-color gym shirts I can wear underneath before going to the gym at night. 5 of these are in the bag too, the rest in the drawer.
- I don't know exactly how many socks I have, but it's a lot. 5 pairs in the bag and the rest in the drawer.
- I have 5 towels. I change them every week and put the old one in the hamper dry when I put a new one in the bathroom.
- I have 4 bed sheets and change them once a week (though a lot more frequently if I have my girlfriend over) along with my pillow cases

Laundry is expensive ($3 per wash cycle and $2.50 per dry cycle, x3), and the machines here are big. I need to wait until I have enough dirty laundry to fill one up before I take the time and money to do laundry. I do it every 2-3 weeks, and my dirty clothes sit in the hamper (towels/t-shirts/underwear) or on their hangers/shelves in the closet (actual clothes) before I wash them.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
Gee wrote: ...The part I don't understand, assuming you're a nurse, don't they teach you the importance of sterilization? Cleanliness?
The BC nurses union had been running tv ads about how nurses r struggling to even wash residents once a week.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Gee wrote: I assumed laundry was done once a month, if you spend the one day to do clothing, when do you do the rest?
I was talking about my clothing.

My husband does the rest whenever it needs to be done. We have multiple sets of towels and bedsheets. We could still leave them to sit and do laundry just once a month.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Gee wrote: Bed sheets need to be washed at least once a week.

Your body sheds dead skin, if left unchecked, bed mites will have a feast and you will be rolling around in their fecal matter for an entire month or more.

You also sweat and create a nice warm environment for other pests.

People think that by using a towel after a shower or bath it should remain clean. You have no idea what happens to a damp towel sitting in your bathroom. I would describe it to you, but it is too disgusting to discuss.

I'm all for saving the environment, but washing a towel once a month is just wrong.

The part I don't understand, assuming you're a nurse, don't they teach you the importance of sterilization? Cleanliness?
What does this have to do with laundry? Do you know what sterilization means? Nobody needs to sterilize household laundry lol.

Most of the world doesn't wash their bed sheets (and especially their clothes) once a week or more often. Humanity does just fine.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Becks wrote: The BC nurses union had been running tv ads about how nurses r struggling to even wash residents once a week.
You're comparing what they have time to do while on shift with what they do in their personal time?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
amz155 wrote: Do you know what sterilization means? Nobody needs to sterilize household laundry lol.
I am not asking anyone to boil their sheets or laundry. It is a general comment about cleanliness. No germs, bacteria etc. Things that matter in a medical setting.

But, if you're okay with changing your sheets once a month or once a year, then that's your prerogative.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Gee wrote: I am not asking anyone to boil their sheets or laundry. It is a general comment about cleanliness. No germs, bacteria etc. Things that matter in a medical setting.

But, if you're okay with changing your sheets once a month or once a year, then that's your prerogative.
I didn't state that.

This thread isn't even about medical settings. And medical settings certainly aren't void of pathogens. Sterility is irrelevant for laundry.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
amz155 wrote: This thread isn't even about medical settings. And medical settings certainly aren't void of pathogens. Sterility is irrelevant for laundry.
It’s not about a medical setting. As I stated, it’s about cleanliness. My point was that someone that works in a medical setting @flyingnurse should have better habits.

I’m sorry that my reply is such a challenge for you to comprehend.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
7972 posts
9093 upvotes
Toronto
Be careful, guys... I know people who pride themselves in not washing their clothes because "they don't stink"... but in reality they do, and that person is no noticing the odour.

Same as a co-worker who says he doesn't sweat that much, so he only takes a shower at night, and he said that was more than enough... but the sad part of the story is that the guy reeks, and has become a joke at the workplace... he even got reported to HR because of the stink

You might think you're not stinking,... but beware, your own BO concentrates, and starts to spread in a very gross way, even if you don't notice it.

speedyforme wrote: 100%.

In fact my hiking merinos socks I wear almost 2 weeks with washing, no odour, nothing.

Gym socks can go about 3 uses but I have to break the habit of just washing them over and over, most likely they can go longer...
speedyforme wrote: Try Merino Wool socks, that may change your mind.

Went to the gym today to a hardcore aerobics class. Sweaty socks came off and it had no odour and aired out in 10 min and is ready for us again.

I also wear merino wool dress socks to work and love it as I only end up washing the gym sock pair and work sock pair once a week. Less laundry.
amz155 wrote: 2 or 3 days without washing? I go 2-3 weeks without washing socks. That includes gym socks. Why would I wash merino wool socks more often than they need to be washed? They don't stink easily so what's to wash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝