• Jan 27th, 2022 12:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1145 posts
16 upvotes

How to mirror my computer to a large without physical cable

Hi there

I have a computer with a 19" screen and I would like to mirror what I see on my 19" monitor to a large TV mounted on the wall. Is it possible to do it without using any physical cable ?
Images
  • z11.jpg
  • z12.jpg
Trade with me 100% confidence and my feedback on RedFlagDeals, eBay and Revscene.net :

Feedback on RedFlagDeals.com

Feedback on EBay.com

REVScene Feedback Ratings
13 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1200 posts
932 upvotes
Ottawa
Chromecast. Easy, reliable, and dirt cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6306 posts
1461 upvotes
Montreal
If your TV is smart, it could have mirroring or casting built into it.
For example, my daughter's Roku TV has casting built in.
Phils
Jun 28, 2011
352 posts
637 upvotes
Phils wrote: If your TV is smart, it could have mirroring or casting built into it.
For example, my daughter's Roku TV has casting built in.
I agree, Smart TVs will give you the option to mirror what is on your Desktop. All browsers also support this option where it allows you to share the entire desktop as long as both the TV and the PC are on the same network.

If not a Smart TV then Roku or Chromecast works best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5477 posts
3490 upvotes
SW ON
ramsrd wrote: All browsers also support this option where it allows you to share the entire desktop as long as both the TV and the PC are on the same network.
Not Firefox I think. Can you share the whole desktop from a browser including what's not in the browser? Sounds like a security problem with the browser.
Jun 28, 2011
352 posts
637 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Not Firefox I think. Can you share the whole desktop from a browser including what's not in the browser? Sounds like a security problem with the browser.
What security issue? Smiling Face With Open MouthYou have to click on cast and then select a device to cast to. This is not automated.

I don't use firefox, but I did try it just now after googling.

To enable casting: Connect to the same Wi-Fi as the Chromecast. Enter about:config in the URL, and set browser. casting. enabled to true.
To cast content: Tap the Cast icon on the video. Choose the device to cast to.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5477 posts
3490 upvotes
SW ON
ramsrd wrote: What security issue? Smiling Face With Open MouthYou have to click on cast and then select a device to cast to. This is not automated.

I don't use firefox, but I did try it just now after googling.

To enable casting: Connect to the same Wi-Fi as the Chromecast. Enter about:config in the URL, and set browser. casting. enabled to true.
To cast content: Tap the Cast icon on the video. Choose the device to cast to.
Are you talking about Firefox here? I don't have this browser.casting entry. Maybe it needs to be created.

I thought browsers are supposed to run in a sandbox. If you can access the system from a browser by clicking something maybe someone will write a script that can do the same without you clicking anything. That would be a security issue for me. Maybe I am wrong.
Jun 28, 2011
352 posts
637 upvotes
You can google this and can find tons of information.
The screen sharing via browser follows different protocols that sharing it via screen sharing applications such as logmein or anydesk. But again, I am just going by what I know since this broswer sharing works only via your home network.
Feb 23, 2004
834 posts
130 upvotes
Richmond
Is Miracast (formerly WiDi) still a thing in the Windows world? It used to be the universal standard solution to use if you dont have a Mac and didn't want creepy uncle Google spying on you. Unlike Chromecast it didnt require internet service or 3rd party installs to work. Both of my circa 2014 TVs have Miracast support built in.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes
1madman1 wrote: Is Miracast (formerly WiDi) still a thing in the Windows world? It used to be the universal standard solution to use if you dont have a Mac and didn't want creepy uncle Google spying on you. Unlike Chromecast it didnt require internet service or 3rd party installs to work. Both of my circa 2014 TVs have Miracast support built in.
Yes, Miracast support is built into Windows since 8.1. Amazon's newer FireTV Sticks support Miracast for screen mirroring. I think most Android devices newer than 8 years also support Miracast. It also works with my ChromeOS devices as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
6546 posts
6850 upvotes
Vancouver
ShinNoodles wrote: I think most Android devices newer than 8 years also support Miracast.
I thought that too, but it turns out that recent Moto cell phones don't support Miracast. Moto made a deal with Google to go exclusively with Google apps, and part of that is that they dropped support for Miracast and support only Chromecast.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1916 posts
1178 upvotes
Scote64 wrote: I thought that too, but it turns out that recent Moto cell phones don't support Miracast. Moto made a deal with Google to go exclusively with Google apps, and part of that is that they dropped support for Miracast and support only Chromecast.
I just did some quick reading up on this and you're right. Looks like Google pulled Miracast support in general a while back and it's up to the manufacturer of each device whether they re-enable that feature.
Now that makes me question whether my Chromebook is connecting via Miracast or Chromecast on my TV....I have both and didn't really pay attention to which it's actually casting to. I should go check.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)