• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2019 10:48 pm
[OP]
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
15 posts
3 upvotes

How money does one get in Welfare?

Due to the tough luck with the jobs, is it possible to be on welfare? How much money does one get in Welfare? Does it pay enough for food and shelter?

Please help :(
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6928 posts
4093 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've never been on it, but it isn't much. The numbers can be found easily online with a quick Google search. It will vary by province.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6275 posts
1032 upvotes
Scarborough
apply right away , its better than nothing
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2265 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
Its pretty low if you are single, healthy and male i mean by welfare and other programs. I believe its around $7XXs for Ontario works. Also, how much of assets you have?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2467 posts
1784 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: Its pretty low if you are single, healthy and male i mean by welfare and other programs. I believe its around $7XXs for Ontario works. Also, how much of assets you have?
Male and females get same amount , it doesn't differ by gender

https://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/prog ... tives.aspx
Last edited by StatsGuy on Dec 30th, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2265 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Male and females get same amount , it doesn't differ by gender
There are programs for women that they can access. Hence, I said other programs.

Forgot to say no dependents.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2467 posts
1784 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: There are programs for women that they can access. Hence, I said other programs.

Forgot to say no dependents.
What other programs of Ontario works is women only?
I can see how Pregnancy/Breast-Feeding Nutritional Allowance are women only
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2265 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: What other programs of Ontario works is women only?
I can see how Pregnancy/Breast-Feeding Nutritional Allowance are women only
Once you are on Welfare, you can access other programs outside of Ontario Works. Just have to show proof that you are on Welfare. If OP is disable, then they would get ODSP. Also welfare programs differ from province to province and city to city at all level or government.

I used Ontario Works as an example of a dollar figure.
Penalty Box
Feb 16, 2013
1092 posts
943 upvotes
Toronto
I don't mean to be a dick but how hard are you looking at jobs when the unemployment rate is south of 5%?
It's a legitimate question to ask yourself.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2265 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
cowbunpants wrote: I don't mean to be a dick but how hard are you looking at jobs when the unemployment rate is south of 5%?
It's a legitimate question to ask yourself.
The unemployment rate has become a political tool with the formula changing.
Penalty Box
Nov 10, 2018
3111 posts
3407 upvotes
It is shocking to me how much money one can get on EI. If it were me, and I have NEVER been on EI in 42 years of working, I think I might just stay unemployed for a bit and milk this program for all that it's worth. After all if I don't use it, I believe I lose it, and since I've been paying into it forever, I might as well do what 33% of Canadians do which they think is fair and fine which is to milk the public for all that they are worth.

This country is messed up.

$2000 a month pre tax? Holy moly that is so wrong. I yearn for a country without EI where if one doesn't save then tough frigging luck.
Last edited by angryaudifanatic on Jan 1st, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5525 posts
4848 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: It is shocking to me how much money one can get on welfare. If it were me, and I have NEVER been on welfare in 42 years of working, I think I might just stay unemployed for a bit and milk this program for all that it's worth. After all if I don't use it, I believe I lose it, and since I've been paying into it forever, I might as well do what 33% of Canadians do which they think is fair and fine which is to milk the public for all that they are worth.

This country is messed up.

$2000 a month pre tax? Holy moly that is so wrong. I yearn for a country without EI where if one doesn't save then tough frigging luck.
EI is not welfare. What are you talking about?
Penalty Box
Nov 10, 2018
3111 posts
3407 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: EI is not welfare. What are you talking about?
You're right. Post edited.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5525 posts
4848 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: You're right. Post edited.
So you think it's okay to use and abuse EI? I don't think that's the sentiment around here (RFD), nor is it the point of this thread... So I don't really know where you're going with that. If you're trying to be sarcastic, it certainly isn't coming through like that.

Good luck finding a new job when your EI ends in 9 months...
Penalty Box
Nov 10, 2018
3111 posts
3407 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote: So you think it's okay to use and abuse EI? I don't think that's the sentiment around here (RFD), nor is it the point of this thread... So I don't really know where you're going with that. If you're trying to be sarcastic, it certainly isn't coming through like that.

Good luck finding a new job when your EI ends in 9 months...
If you seriously think I'll stoop to that low after 42 years of never taking any sort of government assistance like EI/welfare....