• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 8:37 am
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes

How much for Bathroom Renovation?

For anyone that has got one done or do renovations themselves, how much is it usually to renovate a bathroom with a new toilet, sink and bathtub, also would need new flooring/tiles, well basically everything needs to be done. It is a small bathroom and don't plan on getting anything fancy, just the bare minimum.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
Brandon26 wrote: For anyone that has got one done or do renovations themselves, how much is it usually to renovate a bathroom with a new toilet, sink and bathtub, also would need new flooring/tiles, well basically everything needs to be done. It is a small bathroom and don't plan on getting anything fancy, just the bare minimum.
Varies wildly based on materials and size of your bathroom. Also depends if you're planning to DIY or contract some stuff out. Let me toss some numbers out:

New toilet: $250
New vanity: $500
New bathtub: $500
New non-fancy wall tiles for bathtub area: $20/sqft
New flooring: $10/sqft
New paint: $150
New light: $150
New mirror: $150
Demolition: find a kijiji dude for about $500.
:confused:
[OP]
Penalty Box
Jul 21, 2019
346 posts
652 upvotes
iEyeCaptain wrote: Varies wildly based on materials and size of your bathroom. Also depends if you're planning to DIY or contract some stuff out. Let me toss some numbers out:

Thanks, that doesn't seem bad, seems like I should be able to do for about $5000. Never done a renovation, do I have to buy everything myself or if I hire a contractor do they buy all the things like the toilet, bathtub etc.
May 9, 2006
873 posts
184 upvotes
Mississauga
Brandon26 wrote: Thanks, that doesn't seem bad, seems like I should be able to do for about $5000. Never done a renovation, do I have to buy everything myself or if I hire a contractor do they buy all the things like the toilet, bathtub etc.
contractors usually likes to bring in their own stuff, they will send you to their affiliated store to pick items. I have been looking for the same and all the quote I am getting are in neighborhood of 12000K with their basic materials and labor.
Feb 20, 2017
322 posts
98 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Keep in mind except the toilet most of those are budget/low quality and might not look good.

For our main bathroom we're having issues finding a budget vanity. We redid both powder rooms this year and found one for under 200, but for the main bathroom 2 sinks min is around 1-1.5K.

Both toilets fell under the price but both gotten on sale.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
Zombly wrote: Keep in mind except the toilet most of those are budget/low quality and might not look good.

For our main bathroom we're having issues finding a budget vanity. We redid both powder rooms this year and found one for under 200, but for the main bathroom 2 sinks min is around 1-1.5K.

Both toilets fell under the price but both gotten on sale.
Try Ikea for vanity.

OP said basic, nothing fancy, so I gave him basic, nothing fancy prices.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
Brandon26 wrote: Thanks, that doesn't seem bad, seems like I should be able to do for about $5000. Never done a renovation, do I have to buy everything myself or if I hire a contractor do they buy all the things like the toilet, bathtub etc.
Find a contractor who will work with the materials you buy.
Feb 20, 2017
322 posts
98 upvotes
Barrie, ON
iEyeCaptain wrote: Try Ikea for vanity.

OP said basic, nothing fancy, so I gave him basic, nothing fancy prices.
Thanks for the idea I always forget about Ikea.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
Zombly wrote: Thanks for the idea I always forget about Ikea.
I like the Walnut finish with a black or gold faucet.

Be warned though, Ikea vanity requires your pipes to come out from the wall, and also cut very short.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3835 posts
852 upvotes
centre of universe
iEyeCaptain wrote: Varies wildly based on materials and size of your bathroom. Also depends if you're planning to DIY or contract some stuff out. Let me toss some numbers out:

good post. And you there is no limit how much you can spend other than the credit card limit.
LOL I liked that last one. Kijji guy.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1297 posts
1009 upvotes
+1 to the quoted prices above, however this is scraping the bottom in most cases. Depending on how long you're planning on staying/using this bathroom may want to invest in at least some middle of the line items.

+1 on Ikea vanities. Also, if you want to dress up the vanity, get the ikea kitchen lowers with a custom countertop and then buy other hardware, it will look great and still be cheap.

Lastly, I think the most important and costly consideration is what trades you are going to use. I'd probably first figure out what trades you can handle yourself and are comfy with and then look at all the costs of DIY vs hiring. A plumber for a simple bathroom reno with all the fixtures can easily charge $1500-2000 to show up. The same is true for a lot of other trades with expensive minimums. Do you need drywall, do you need trim? etc etc. If you don't feel conformable with something, don't do it. Also, pay for a permit and get the inspections. The City inspectors are just there to make sure you don't kill yourself or endanger the house. In most cases they will point out things to help you, so if you don't know what you're doing or don't have someone certified looking over it, make sure you get it inspected.

Lastly Lastly, the quote for $12k does not surprise me at all. In that quote you are probably paying $8-9k for labour and $3-4k for materials.

I have a few spreadsheets from a few bathrooms I've done, however it probably is just best to make your own and keep track of everything. I could list all my items later for everything I tracked if you want to see all the little items that add up that you might be missing.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
I have been unimpressed with the Ikea vanities. They don't really seem all that inexpensive to me, and their choices are limited. More like you get what you pay for, with big box hardware store vanities in the same price range often about the same quality (at least when the big box hardware stores have stuff on sale).

After visiting Ikea, I ended up buying a vanity for $425 from Lowes actually, the one in this thread. It probably isn't to the taste of some people here, but it suited our needs and there wasn't anything comparable at Ikea.
Oct 30, 2017
530 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
I did two of my bathrooms (and a powder room) about a year ago. The simpler bathroom (5x9 size) cost me about 9 grand including labour - that includes getting all the materials including Schluter kerdi panels. If I recall correctly 5-6 grand was the materials cost (I don't recall exactly by now as it was many items).
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9336 upvotes
Toronto
$10000
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7488 posts
4788 upvotes
Victoria, BC
That didn't include labour (I don't think). So, unless you are doing it all yourself it will be considerably more than the materials cost.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19680 posts
5766 upvotes
Toronto
MetalGear wrote: I did two of my bathrooms (and a powder room) about a year ago. The simpler bathroom (5x9 size) cost me about 9 grand including labour - that includes getting all the materials including Schluter kerdi panels. If I recall correctly 5-6 grand was the materials cost (I don't recall exactly by now as it was many items).
Yeah, the Schluter shower kit alone costs something like $600-700, and aside from the drain, you can't even see any of it since it's behind the tiles.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2008
1633 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
ive done 2 bathrooms in toronto.

1 was fully done by a contractor and ran me 20k .

1 i did completely myself and it cost 4k. ( i used off the shelf stuff. nothing custom. )

The biggest challenge doing it yourself will be plumbing and electrical.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9529 posts
2127 upvotes
Somewhere
redzone wrote: ive done 2 bathrooms in toronto.

1 was fully done by a contractor and ran me 20k .

1 i did completely myself and it cost 4k. ( i used off the shelf stuff. nothing custom. )

The biggest challenge doing it yourself will be plumbing and electrical.
Call in a plumber and electrician for those things. Not even because of the money issue, but because if you mess it up and something goes wrong, it'll cost A LOT more to fix. Not to mention for insurance reasons you want a licensed technician for water and electricity things.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3799 posts
2789 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
iEyeCaptain wrote: I like the Walnut finish with a black or gold faucet.

Be warned though, Ikea vanity requires your pipes to come out from the wall, and also cut very short.
Ikea vanities are a PITA to install. Someone who has zero experience is in for a world of pain. The drain assemblies are nothing like "standard" systems you'll find here.
Add a multiplier of ten to the pain factor for a newbie DIY'er if they want to get all fancy and hang the cabinet off the wall.

That said, they are way better quality than some of the garbage sold at Big Box stores. Nice finishes and Blum hardware.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3799 posts
2789 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
EugW wrote: Yeah, the Schluter shower kit alone costs something like $600-700, and aside from the drain, you can't even see any of it since it's behind the tiles.
And, if you installed it properly, was money well spend.