Shopping Discussion

How much brokerage fees will UPS charge for a package with a declared value of $5 USD?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2022 7:08 pm
May 13, 2014
765 posts
450 upvotes
Vancouver

How much brokerage fees will UPS charge for a package with a declared value of $5 USD?

I have a package coming via UPS for a replacement part under warranty and it seems the RMA department didn't declare it correctly (no surprise there). Would it be best to:

1. Just let UPS handle it? This is worrisome as google indicates that UPS might charge a fortune in brokerage fees but there's also contradicting info that packages under $20 go through for free.

2. Call the shipper and get the paperwork fixed? This is also worrisome as googling also indicates that they might charge ridiculous brokerage fees for warranty replacements, I'd just be saving a couple cents in taxes.

3. Self-clear? Given the hassle involved I'm honestly not willing to do this, especially when option 4 exists.

4. Refuse delivery ASAP? I am still within the 30 day return to store period for the item itself, it's just a hassle because it's heavy/bulky.

What I'm most worried about is accepting delivery and being lulled into a false sense of security due to not being charged upon delivery and then receiving a letter in the mail 2 weeks later asking for $50+...
2 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
^ That is indeed the correct answer to the question in the title of the thread.

But I think OP knew that and what was really being asked was,
is UPS likely to override what is on the shipper's declaration for a large and heavy item that is clearly worth more than $5?

My take is, if the shipper is a recognizable company that is known to ship replacement parts, then UPS will just let it pass and no clearance fee, tax or duty assessed.

Like OP, I would be slightly anxious that they might later pose a problem, but having your documentation available should quickly resolve that if and when necessary.
Meanwhile forget about it and get on with life,

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)