Home & Garden

How much can I expect to pay for plumbing to accommodate these changes?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2020 1:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON

How much can I expect to pay for plumbing to accommodate these changes?

I am trying to change the layout of my basement bathroom.
The idea is to rotate the tub 90 degree around the drain point (which I am told might not be filled in and I might not need to open the floor again)
The other think that changes is the position of the sink as you can see in the second picture. It will be a single tap sink not a two tap as shown in the second picture
The room is 112"x78"
The main vent is located probably along the vertical between the toilet and the bat tub in the second picture

new layout

Note: I will do the demolition required myself, I would expect the plumber to do only plumbing work
Last edited by CuriousC on Aug 1st, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
78 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11956 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
In the second picture, is the wall where the vent is gone?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
where you see blue that is glass
yes in the top picture there is wall but I don't think that the drain from the above bathroom comes down through that wall
I would like to believe that the drain and the vent are in the external wall...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11956 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
CuriousC wrote: where you see blue that is glass
yes in the top picture there is wall but I don't think that the drain from the above bathroom comes down through that wall
I would like to believe that the drain and the vent are in the external wall...
Drain and vent will be in interior wall. Your vent stack is easy to find when you look at your roof.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Jerico wrote: Drain and vent will be in interior wall. Your vent stack is easy to find when you look at your roof.
yes it is indeed on that vertical and probably in that wall
can it be relocated on the exterior wall (by relocated I mean rerouted for its lower part
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11956 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
CuriousC wrote: yes it is indeed on that vertical and probably in that wall
can it be relocated on the exterior wall (by relocated I mean rerouted for its lower part
Very unlikely.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
why unlikely?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4263 posts
3399 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
CuriousC wrote: why unlikely?
The external wall is probably concrete or block. I'm going to assume that the first image you posted shows the main floor toilet location. Assuming the window in the last image is in the proper position, the waste line from the main floor would have to run right through it.
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
499 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
If the walls are drywall framed in front of the concrete then there may be room for the pipes.

Potentially you could also leave a "box" along the exterior wall beside the glass wall to contain the vent/drain work. Like an L connected to the soffit box you left for the main floor toilet.

TBH though it doesn't look like that much of a functional change to the space to really be worthwhile. You could put a glassed-in shower where the existing tub is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Yes there is framing insulation and drywall in front of the cinder bloks
The position of the wall behind the toilet indicates where the cinder blocks level is, there is no insulation there
Currently there is a ugly separation wall at the end of the bathtub ...a nonsense creating a niche there less than 1ft wide ...
The new layout allows a widwr cabinet and sink , woder than the one that I can fit where the existing si nk is
Removing that wall next to the toilet will allow some light to reach the area where the new cabinet/sink sits
The position of the new sink cabinet also alows one pwrson in the shower and one at the sink at the same time Grinning Face

I am not clear on how the venting is connected, here is the larger context
the top bath tub is going away but for the moment is has the shower toward the center of the room end of the tub
in a wall that is part of the closet in the adjacent room
That closet has to go to allow more bathroom space on the main floor

Last edited by CuriousC on Aug 1st, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1171 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
I have nothing to add, but incredibly impressed that you provided mockups of the pre/post situation. We've had threads in Automotive where users ask for advice without even mentioning which make/model their car is.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11956 posts
7123 upvotes
Paris
HammerRFDer wrote: I have nothing to add, but incredibly impressed that you provided mockups of the pre/post situation. We've had threads in Automotive where users ask for advice without even mentioning which make/model their car is.
Search user post history.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
U ok jerico?
U sound kind of cryptic and frustrated by something here...any way I can fix that Grinning Face?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7366 posts
3077 upvotes
Shaidin wrote: TBH though it doesn't look like that much of a functional change to the space to really be worthwhile.
Agreed
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Hold on, besides slightly changing the layout an update is overdue, everything is 15-20y old with some of the things not working properly anymore.
so I am not doing it just to change the layout
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7366 posts
3077 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: Hold on, besides slightly changing the layout an update is overdue, everything is 15-20y old with some of the things not working properly anymore.
It seems to be a lot of work to make a relatively minor change, that doesn't really improve the space usage. That how it seems to me, at least.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15507 posts
10148 upvotes
Toronto
Jerico wrote: Search user post history.
that made me lol but OP is remarkably good with sketchup.

I just use paper/pencil.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
499 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
CuriousC wrote: Hold on, besides slightly changing the layout an update is overdue, everything is 15-20y old with some of the things not working properly anymore.
You can update update the fixture etc without changing their locations.

But if framing space is available then shouldn't be that hard to move I think. As long as your drains in the foundation line up. The key one being the tub/shower drain. Otherwise you'll be chipping up concrete to move them
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Shaidin wrote: You can update update the fixture etc without changing their locations.

But if framing space is available then shouldn't be that hard to move I think. As long as your drains in the foundation line up. The key one being the tub/shower drain. Otherwise you'll be chipping up concrete to move them
I have been told that that opening in particular is not completely filled up with concrete and that room is left to properly adjust the P trap to fit the bath tub that was installed there so there might be some room or not that much concrete to break
HOwever it will be under 1f which is reasonable, not like other projects that I have seen where they had to break the floor for a couple of feet

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)