Careers

How much can you make per hour driving Uber?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2018 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13814 posts
1329 upvotes

How much can you make per hour driving Uber?

I'm talking, if you average a 24hr period, not 2am on a Friday night. I'm also asking what you make after gas, insurance and wear on your vehicle. It obviously has to be higher than minimum wage, even if you're an average driver..

.. and before you tell me to Google it, I was actually surprised at how difficult it was to find data on this. There was a recent MIT study that looked at why it's so difficult to calculate what Uber drivers earn. Apparently Uber and Lyft have been very coy about this, and steadfastly refuse to release their data.

I figure if we can get just a handful of anecdotal data points, we can plot a fairly average wage in Canada.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
11 replies
Nov 15, 2016
301 posts
181 upvotes
Uber takes a giant cut of the profits, a buddy and I tried to calculate this as he was interested in being a Uber Black driver or their executive driver (can't recall the name). We came to the number crunching conclusion that you tend to average anywhere from $20-25/hour. Albeit there are so many external factors to really cost this out correctly.
Sep 1, 2018
53 posts
6 upvotes
Toad99 wrote: Uber takes a giant cut of the profits, a buddy and I tried to calculate this as he was interested in being a Uber Black driver or their executive driver (can't recall the name). We came to the number crunching conclusion that you tend to average anywhere from $20-25/hour. Albeit there are so many external factors to really cost this out correctly.
Better than minimum wage...
Penalty Box
Feb 16, 2013
1087 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
Rayflygon wrote: Better than minimum wage...
You can sleep at work doing security and you can make 17-19 an hour.
Also GST after 25K.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2005 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
cowbunpants wrote: You can sleep at work doing security and you can make 17-19 an hour.
Also GST after 25K.
Majority of Uber drivers work part time. Probably a few hours at night on weekdays and then a big chuck on a weekend so they probably don't need to worry about GST.

The flexibility they have at their rate is pretty good IMO. If you don't feel like working that day, well you don't have to. If you want to work that day, you get somewhere in the neighbourhood of $25 an hour.
Jul 21, 2009
893 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
Syne wrote: I'm talking, if you average a 24hr period, not 2am on a Friday night. I'm also asking what you make after gas, insurance and wear on your vehicle. It obviously has to be higher than minimum wage, even if you're an average driver..

.. and before you tell me to Google it, I was actually surprised at how difficult it was to find data on this. There was a recent MIT study that looked at why it's so difficult to calculate what Uber drivers earn. Apparently Uber and Lyft have been very coy about this, and steadfastly refuse to release their data.

I figure if we can get just a handful of anecdotal data points, we can plot a fairly average wage in Canada.
Way to many variables out there to to get a clear $/hr. You will make some bucks if you already own an older car and are doing this in your spare time.. time that would otherwise be spent on your couch on amazon. No one should ever buy a car just to drive for uber

Its likely around or under minimum wage for the casual uber drivers.
Sep 28, 2013
605 posts
285 upvotes
not really as much as people think because for a significant part of their pay, they're just monetizing upfront a future loss in depreciation on the vehicle
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
8736 posts
6096 upvotes
Uber works in certain areas to make a good living (downtown Toronto).

i've only taken uber like a couple of times as mostly i just take taxis when im needing to go to the airport and such (dont really need it otherwise) but the one time I took it the uber driver told me it's not worth being one in the suburbs, too many drivers and not enough volume to be worth it full time... taxis still have more penetration in the burbs.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
angrybanker wrote: not really as much as people think because for a significant part of their pay, they're just monetizing upfront a future loss in depreciation on the vehicle
Depends on how you view your car in life.
If you drive your reliable japanese car for 10 years, there is no difference between having 250k or 350k on the odometer - the resale cost will only vary by $1000-2000.
Sure, if you change your car every 4 years, then yes the figure on the odometer will make a difference of potentially several thousand dollars, but if you racked up that many KM's on your odometer, it would have earned you much much more than that several thousand dollars.
Dec 12, 2006
81 posts
18 upvotes
yellowtrash wrote: Depends on how you view your car in life.
If you drive your reliable japanese car for 10 years, there is no difference between having 250k or 350k on the odometer - the resale cost will only vary by $1000-2000.
Sure, if you change your car every 4 years, then yes the figure on the odometer will make a difference of potentially several thousand dollars, but if you racked up that many KM's on your odometer, it would have earned you much much more than that several thousand dollars.
I believe Uber requires the vehicle to be new, as in maximum 5 years old. I could be wrong, but this is the reason why you end up eating all the depreciation.
Jul 1, 2017
216 posts
87 upvotes
Namael wrote: I believe Uber requires the vehicle to be new, as in maximum 5 years old. I could be wrong, but this is the reason why you end up eating all the depreciation.
No, that's wrong unfortunately. I just checked last month, and Uber requires your car to be 2011 or newer (or newer than 2011, I forget)
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17667 posts
5596 upvotes
Toronto
It's total after gas, car wear/tear and insurance?