Wheels and Tires

How much of a compromise is it to drive winter tires all year round?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2017 3:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4312 posts
406 upvotes
Calgary

How much of a compromise is it to drive winter tires all year round?

I have a set of winters that has been through two winters, and a set of all season tires that requires replacement. I am thinking of getting a new set of winters to replace the all seasons and using it this winter, then when spring rolls around replace it with the used set of winter tires and driving them the rest of the three seasons, wearing them down and then garbaging the for another set of all seasons. Bad idea? Worse off financially in the long run?
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
3 replies
Sep 7, 2007
263 posts
115 upvotes
Woodstock
Dedicated winter tires aren't the best for summer driving, but I see a lot of cars with what looks like winter tires on black steelies driving around, probably because the owners didn't want to buy new all seasons just yet and their winter tires probably wouldn't be very good for another winter. My advice would be to get a new set of all weather tires and run them all year. See this thread
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
11658 posts
6224 upvotes
Brampton
Depends on how long you plan on keeping the car if it's for another year then meh run the winters.

If it's a keeper for at least 2-3 more years. I wouldn't I can't stand how mushy and sloppy the car is with winters in the warmer months.

That's not even factoring the worse gas mileage and accelerated wear.

in Your situation it doesn't sound like your plan would make sense as the winters are only 2 seasons old.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4312 posts
406 upvotes
Calgary
Instead of replacing the all seasons right now I think it's best to run the winters I have for another winter, then run then down during the summer and get a new set of winters next winter, and another set of all seasons after that winter is over. As mild as winters are in Calgary, I often am the first ones on the road after a snowfall in the wee hours of the morning, so having winter tires performing at their best in the winter is more important than poor handling characteristics during the summer. I think either way I'll run the winter tires for one more winter and the residual thread use them in the summer to finish them off.
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"