How much it cost to build a deck?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 8:31 am
Tags:
Nov 22, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes

How much it cost to build a deck?

I am planning to build large deck for my house. But really don’t have any idea how much should it cost. If anyone have any idea, specifically from New Brunswick Saint John that will be ver helpful. Also if you could suggest material for deck that will be highly appreciated
48 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Material options (high to low)

1- Composite
2- Cedar
3- Pressure Treated

Decks are not cheap to build.
Especially if you hire someone to do it.

If you intend it as a DIY Project
Best to at least do it alongside someone who has done it before

Here’s the Home Depot info on Decks 101
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/ideas- ... cking.html

I know some of their stores, maybe even Lowes / Rona too
Do weekend workshops for DIYers
You go do a bit of listening & hands on learning
So at least back home you have some clue on what needs to be done

Also... most municipalities require a Building Permit if the deck is attached to your house
Or a certain elevation off the ground
Usually, No permit if it’s a floating deck

Same with footings
Some require permits (poured)
Others do not (deck blocks)

So before you even start you need to read the Bylaws on if a Permit is required for what you have in mind
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Literally impossiable to even give you an $/sqft range without having more information.

X-factors are design, height, stairs, and soil conditions.
Let's hug it out
Nov 22, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
500 sqft two level deck is what I am thinking at a high high level. Might be 3 level as well. Even a range will be helpful.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
logicalperson wrote: 500 sqft two level deck is what I am thinking at a high high level. Might be 3 level as well. Even a range will be helpful.
Somewhere between $1000 and $50,000 should cover it.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
logicalperson wrote: 500 sqft two level deck is what I am thinking at a high high level. Might be 3 level as well. Even a range will be helpful.
With a 3 level deck you're most likely going to need that to be engineered.

It'll easily be north of $25k. The stairs are going to cost a fortune.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
logicalperson wrote: I am planning to build large deck for my house. But really don’t have any idea how much should it cost. If anyone have any idea, specifically from New Brunswick Saint John that will be ver helpful. Also if you could suggest material for deck that will be highly appreciated
How long is a piece of string?
The logical person in me would have a couple deck builders come and give me estimates.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
My father in law just built a 330 sq ft flat one level pressure treated deck with 3 steps down to the ground and with a railing for around $4k. That's nothing compared to what it sounds like you want to do. For something up high like that, unless you have a construction background, no way would this be a DIY project.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Seems lots of folks reading this to mean ...

That the deck is perhaps at the back of the house (walk out basement type scenario) 3 stories high in the air, with lots of stairs joining all the levels
Like this = https://decks.blob.core.windows.net/img ... 182567.jpg

Not how I necessarily read it

It could also be a 3 level deck, with the highest level say 3 or 4 feet off the ground, and a step down of one foot, to each lower level

Like this = https://www.patioplus.ca/patio-paliers. ... =1&slide=9

If nothing else, think it might be worthwhile OP if you elaborate on what this deck might look like
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
I like the detail multi levels give but it should be avoided if at all possible. One level is far safer when your drunk BIL is walking across the deck in evening after helping himself to another of your beers.
A step down mid deck to another level, both levels same colour, evening, booze, unemployed BIL is a large insurance claim.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
logicalperson wrote: Hi PointsHubby,

Thanks for the links. This is something resembles what I am looking for:
https://www.patioplus.ca/patio-paliers. ... =1&slide=9

Which is your second link.

Thanks,
Zia
What did you mean by "high high level" then? Build quality, wise?

For a ground-ish level deck like that, I'd expect $10/sqft as a base cost for PT wood & labour. Extra if you want fancy railings, stain, or need a lot of site prep.
Let's hug it out
Nov 22, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
mentioning high twice was typing mistake. As I have not thought about every detail of the deck, I said it is 500sqft. Just ignore the word high level. And thanks for mentioning the sqft price for ground level deck.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
One of the big box stores provides a service on deck building . You bring them the dimensions . They will put them into their PC and give you the parts list and cost of the parts including nails or screws . I just cant remember if it was HD or Lowes .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Nov 22, 2018
7 posts
3 upvotes
pfbmgd wrote: One of the big box stores provides a service on deck building . You bring them the dimensions . They will put them into their PC and give you the parts list and cost of the parts including nails or screws . I just cant remember if it was HD or Lowes .
Thanks for the information. I shall try both of them. Do they have any on-line tool or I just have to go there with my measurement and ask them?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2625 posts
1620 upvotes
Alliston, ON
logicalperson wrote: Thanks for the information. I shall try both of them. Do they have any on-line tool or I just have to go there with my measurement and ask them?
This is the software Home Depot uses. It's pretty good, but requires the user to know a bit of the code for proper joist/beam/post sizes
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
Vancouver, 3 years ago, quoted in general $15/sqft for materials, $14/sqft for labour. 2-level deck about 350 sqft. That's for basic pressure treated, more for cedar, more for composite, more for custom metal deck rails etc.. Specific quotes were consistent with that, running from about $8-$12K depending on details. Instead I built just a 250 sqft single-level floating deck, did the work myself, cost under $2K for materials and a few new tools.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
logicalperson wrote: Hi PointsHubby,

Thanks for the links. This is something resembles what I am looking for:
https://www.patioplus.ca/patio-paliers. ... =1&slide=9

Which is your second link.

Thanks,
Zia
Piece of cake. Should be able to do it in a weekend, maybe 3-4 days if you haven't done one before.

I would say go composite or cedar, make it look.good and your all set. Hopefully you have the basic tools.
You could even make a little storage area underneath the deck too.

If it was me in my place, I would put some tempered glass for sides with some nice SS rails (easy to bolt and then weld em up to make it look flush, grind the cap smooth) and then get some solar powered string LED lights and light around the whole deck

Have fun doing it, great easy little project.
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1115 posts
233 upvotes
How about for a 20/14 deck with pressure treated material, no railings, , may be just 2 steps, ground level (1.5 feet) ? Which place is the best to buy materials in Durham region, Ontario ?
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
logicalperson wrote: Thanks for the information. I shall try both of them. Do they have any on-line tool or I just have to go there with my measurement and ask them?
Yes have the measurements of what you want build .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)