• Aug 19th, 2019 9:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5318 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto

How much damage is this to fix

Looking to buy a 2016 RAV4. There's some slight damage to the bumper, he said he glued it back. How much would it cost to fix this approximately?

Does it seem like just cosmetic?
Images
  • Attach26301_20190818_145419.jpg
  • Attach26303_20190818_145419.jpg
14 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1655 posts
2060 upvotes
GTA
That's not going to be cheap. What exactly is there to glue back?

Since it's going to require paint and potentially bonding; you're looking at $1000 in my experience. They will likely repaint the whole bumper sill to make it look even. If you are picky about looks, i wouldn't trust a $500 Macco job.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4563 posts
2078 upvotes
georgecantstandya wrote: That's not going to be cheap. What exactly is there to glue back?

Since it's going to require paint and potentially bonding; you're looking at $1000 in my experience. They will likely repaint the whole bumper sill to make it look even. If you are picky about looks, i wouldn't trust a $500 Macco job.
I agree.
$1,000 for getting it back to OEM as much as possible (but it is a repaint job).
$500 for for Macco (but it is a repaint job).
$400 for tree shade mechanic + junkyard part (bumper of exactly the same color)
$200 for DIY + junkyard part (bumper of exactly the same color)

$0 for leaving it like it is. It is not going to get worse than that.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16800 posts
18496 upvotes
Oakville
Probably $2k for good as new replacement. Buy why bother on a generic commuter soccer mom vehicle?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5318 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto
It's a lease takeover. With only a $750 wear and tear. So I'm guessing we'd have to fix it before we give it back?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4563 posts
2078 upvotes
engineered wrote: Probably $2k for good as new replacement. Buy why bother on a generic commuter soccer mom vehicle?
Exactly. I would ask for some money off the sale price, and then just leave it as is. Later on.... maybe... just maybe.... Search for an OEM bumper of exactly the same color, and install it myself

We are totally fixated on the cosmetic looks of the car we drive. It is a 2016. It has some scratches, digs, etc. No one cares
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16800 posts
18496 upvotes
Oakville
Gotoff wrote: It's a lease takeover. With only a $750 wear and tear. So I'm guessing we'd have to fix it before we give it back?
Oh, in that case it could easily be over $2k to fix properly. Especially since there may be damage underneath. Probably only bumper cover and foam underneath need to be replaced ($2k+ at dealer), but possibly some metal damage s well. Only way to know for sure is to remove and inspect.
You could have a body shop touch it up well enough so that the dealer won't notice, and that would probably be $200-500. You could replace the bumper cover at a body shop for probably under $1k.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16645 posts
14931 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This kind of damage isn't just a respray since there's sharp creases in the "dent". Shops can heat it up and massage it back out but will probably still be wavy. Would require new parts + paint.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5535 posts
3052 upvotes
Toronto
Gotoff wrote: It's a lease takeover. With only a $750 wear and tear. So I'm guessing we'd have to fix it before we give it back?
You sure price of lease wear coverage wasnt $750? Usually the plan covers upto say $5000 in damages. MB for example only covers $3000.
Aug 19, 2008
297 posts
159 upvotes
Was going to say not to worry about it, just use it in the negotiation untill you said lease takeover... I’d walk away.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16580 posts
5204 upvotes
London
Walk away. If the repair quality isn't "like factory new", the leasing company will bill you additional $$$$ to redo the repair to "like factory new" condition. They use their standard of repair quality, not yours
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
buy a entire new rear bumper. i think can be picked up at a reasonable price.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4565 posts
3792 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Gotoff wrote: Looking to buy a 2016 RAV4. There's some slight damage to the bumper, he said he glued it back. How much would it cost to fix this approximately?

Does it seem like just cosmetic?
Likely just cosmetic, but may be damage underneath that cannot be seen. Yes - that’ll need to be dealt with. Either get it fixed yourself then return it, or leave it as is when you return and they’ll charge you the cost of the repair at their preferred shop less the $750 wear & tear coverage. You’ll probably be on the hook for $250 to $750 out of pocket assuming it’s a $1,000 to $1,500 repair estimate.
Aug 19, 2008
297 posts
159 upvotes
Just to be clear for people giving the OP advice - this is a lease takeover he is looking at taking over... consider that before giving advice please.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5318 posts
1374 upvotes
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: You sure price of lease wear coverage wasnt $750? Usually the plan covers upto say $5000 in damages. MB for example only covers $3000.
You're right, I looked at the price for the WT. Gotta find out how much it actually covers.

We're 50/50 on whether we'd be keeping it or not after the lease

Figured I'd ask you guys incase we do decide to return it so we don't have any surprises.

Thanks everyone