Wheels and Tires

How much do All Terrain tires affect fuel economy? Help me choose all-weather v.s. all-terrain

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2017 4:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43702 posts
6932 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

How much do All Terrain tires affect fuel economy? Help me choose all-weather v.s. all-terrain

I don't care about road noise or comfort. Mostly... Fuel economy.

I recently got a AWD SUV, and live in Toronto proper. 2007 Toyota Rav4 Base V6 only 152,000km (sob...).
Roads are cleared quickly and frequently. Around these parts. The only challenge is that my parking spot is off a lane way. So these lane ways seem to be plowed LAST.

For that reason... I've decided on getting a set of ALL WEATHER TIRES!
(In-case some people are mistaken... These are different from all-seasons in that they are good enough to have the snow flake symbol Imagefor severe winter service, but are designed to be safely driven in the summer time). Both of the selections I narrowed down have the mountain snow flake. They're also both designed to be driven during all 4 seasons.

There are two choices for my vehicle model.

Nokian Nordman WR SUV. This is an ALL-Weather tire.
http://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/nordman ... th&start=2
ImageImage
$170 each reg price, no sale right now.

Or the All Terrain Tire.
Yokohama Geolander G015
ImageImage
Reg. price 195
On sale for 184 each
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1942 upvotes
Montreal
It's a RAV4, don't bother with AT tires, you aren't suppose to go off pavement. ;)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1942 upvotes
Montreal
UrbanPoet wrote: As unconventional as it sounds... You can. Albeit mildly.
It does have a differential lock, but no 4low setting.
That's the central diff lock, better than nothing, although I don't believe that gen has brake assisted traction control so in slippery condition you still have 2 wheel drive.

But think about how often you will use it, you don't need AT tires for gravel roads or mild dirt trails, only when things get muddy and rocky when they start to shine over street tires. On the other hand you will pay for it every minute you drive on the road with worse acceleration, worse braking, worse fuel economy, worse traction, more noise, and way worse winter performance compare to the Nokian.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1942 upvotes
Montreal
Adding to my previous post, this is AT territory, will you take RAV4 to places like this? (admittingly I had MT on in the photo but AT would work just fine)

Image
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43702 posts
6932 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
jzmtl wrote: Adding to my previous post, this is AT territory, will you take RAV4 to places like this? (admittingly I had MT on in the photo but AT would work just fine)

Image
No way. It is what it is. A cuv. I'm just saying a neat feature. Capable for the maybe 4 times a year i hit a dirt road. Which i did with a car anyways... very bumpy.
Or maybe the occassional suburban snow storm lol
So yeah its overkill & unneeded for its purpose... overkill.

Im just wondering how much penalty it is in road noise and economy.

The yokohama does seem like the better tire at that sale price you get a lot more tire. But that more tire is excessive i suppose.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3119 posts
1942 upvotes
Montreal
UrbanPoet wrote: No way. It is what it is. A cuv. I'm just saying a neat feature. Capable for the maybe 4 times a year i hit a dirt road. Which i did with a car anyways... very bumpy.
Or maybe the occassional suburban snow storm lol
So yeah its overkill & unneeded for its purpose... overkill.

Im just wondering how much penalty it is in road noise and economy.

The yokohama does seem like the better tire at that sale price you get a lot more tire. But that more tire is excessive i suppose.
Depends on the tires, but the one you are looking at appears to be more road oriented. I would say you'll lose a liter or two per 100km over good road tires. They work decent in soft snow, but suck on packed and ice, also tend to have shorter life since they need softer rubber for grip, so take a look at the treadwear rating too.

FWIW I'm in a CUV now too and I have no intention of putting AT tires on it ever.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 15, 2014
913 posts
792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
You definitly don't need, or should get all terrain tires. They won't perform well on pavement. All weather is a good choice and since you are in Toronto they should be enough to cope with our winters. Expect all weather tires to wear faster than all season or summer tires though.
Please respond
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8612 posts
3045 upvotes
I have owned pretty much every AT tire by all of the big manufacturers over the years. All had their ups and downs.

Best year round tire I ever owned, hands down was the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. Winter rated with the mountain and snowflake. Great on pavement, great in the snow and ice, decent off road. Had them on a RAM 1500 with a real 4 mode, 2 speed transfer case.

Problem with recommending them, I am not sure Goodyear still makes that exact model anymore. However if they did discontinue them, it would have been replaced with an alternative similar model. So look the wrangler ( not the Duratrac, although if you can afford those.........) that has the mountain and snowflake. That will be the one.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
43702 posts
6932 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I'm gonna go against conventional wisdom and go for the all terrain. Only because this specific model is good on the road and is designed more for pavement.

Theres a lot of reviews commenting on how they arent aggressive at all for a/t.

The price is right (compared to other all weather offerings).
604jay wrote: Although not considered a true all weather tire I just bought some Yokohama Geolander G015 AT tires for my Honda Pilot. They do have the snowflake symbol on it and have a 100,000 km tread wear. So far I'm very happy with these tires. Not as aggressive as other AT tires on the market (Duratracs, KO2). They're surprisingly quiet and feel stiffer than the stock Michelin MXV4 they replaced. Wet weather performance is excellent. Can't comment yet on snow or ice. Good alternative to the other all-weather tires listed here.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 3, 2011
3242 posts
18415 upvotes
Have you checked out TireRack and their reviews for AT tires?

Supposedly the link I posted from here doesnt work for some strange reason.

Here are your top 4

Image
Newbie
Mar 15, 2017
29 posts
11 upvotes
The Yokohama G015 is a great tire and so far I love them. Road noise is comparable to my old stock michelins. Traction has been fantastic so far and I definitely notice the stiffer sidewall when I tow my tent trailer. As mentioned the tread is not super aggressive so it doesn't make my pilot look like a wannabe off-roader. Fuel mileage is a little worse. I averaged 13l/100 km on my stock michelins. Now I average 13.7l/100km. I use to have Goodyear duratrac on my 05 4Runner and loved those also but took a 10-15% hit on fuel mileage. Didn't help that I also up sized those tires the stock size is 265/65/17 to 265/70/17.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 28, 2007
8065 posts
4459 upvotes
Alberta
UrbanPoet wrote: I don't care about road noise or comfort. Mostly... Fuel economy.

I recently got a AWD SUV, and live in Toronto proper. 2007 Toyota Rav4 Base V6 only 152,000km (sob...).
Roads are cleared quickly and frequently. Around these parts. The only challenge is that my parking spot is off a lane way. So these lane ways seem to be plowed LAST.

For that reason... I've decided on getting a set of ALL WEATHER TIRES!
(In-case some people are mistaken... These are different from all-seasons in that they are good enough to have the snow flake symbol Imagefor severe winter service, but are designed to be safely driven in the summer time). Both of the selections I narrowed down have the mountain snow flake. They're also both designed to be driven during all 4 seasons.

There are two choices for my vehicle model.

Nokian Nordman WR SUV. This is an ALL-Weather tire.
http://www.kaltire.com/en/tires/nordman ... th&start=2
ImageImage
$170 each reg price, no sale right now.
I would buy this tire, you don't need an AT tire for where you are. More sipes on this tire will be good for winter driving. We have a Honda Civic and they don't plow the roads around here and the wife never has any problems getting around on a set of Michelin X-ice xi3 tires. My Honda Odyssey runs on a set of a Blizzack WS60's and I don't have any problems getting around in winter either. All weather is what you want but you can't beat a winter tire for snow and ice traction.

Top