Travel

How much do you pay for car rentals in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 10:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1989 posts
1092 upvotes

How much do you pay for car rentals in Canada?

Heading to Calgary in 3 weeks and I have 0 clue about pricing. Currently, I'm seeing $530 for a mid-size SUV (Rav4, Escape) for 5 days but is that a good deal?

I'm filtering for cancel-able and unlimited mileage, but unsure what else I should be looking for (furthest we'll go is probably Jasper)

Edit

I was able to get a mid size SUV with Thrifty for $315.62/5 days which I think is decent
Last edited by Biscayne05 on Sep 7th, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
6 replies
Aug 24, 2015
130 posts
168 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The prices are very high now due to huge demand this Summer and shortage of new cars in rental locations. Optimally prices should be lower by the time you arrive. Also consider Turo as a plan B.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1989 posts
1092 upvotes
aalqaraghuli wrote: The prices are very high now due to huge demand this Summer and shortage of new cars in rental locations. Optimally prices should be lower by the time you arrive. Also consider Turo as a plan B.
So youre saying I might get a deal at the counter upon my arrival? Sounds tempting but also what if they have a bigger more expensive cars only ☹ Ill be screwed, not RFD-like.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4911 posts
1505 upvotes
Mississauga
If you have Costco, try booking through. I have never used them, but they seem to be mentioned a lot.

If you work for a large company, such as the banks, they have corporate codes for National that give really good discounts.

Regardless, I don't $100/day after taxes and fees for an midsize SUV to be overly expensive.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2008
1261 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
Your booking is cheaper than mine.
Two months ago I booked a rental for 5 days as well for a trip coming in two weeks.
Nissan Kicks size for $700.
Been checking every few weeks and the prices only got higher or section went to none.
Mine is a pickup/return at YYC airport though, if you were willing to travel to the city then it could be for about 500 range but I had other factors into play.
Compared with kayak and other websites cheapest was with Costco for cancellation and unlimited mileage.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1989 posts
1092 upvotes
greenkiwee wrote: Your booking is cheaper than mine.
Two months ago I booked a rental for 5 days as well for a trip coming in two weeks.
Nissan Kicks size for $700.
Been checking every few weeks and the prices only got higher or section went to none.
Mine is a pickup/return at YYC airport though, if you were willing to travel to the city then it could be for about 500 range but I had other factors into play.
Compared with kayak and other websites cheapest was with Costco for cancellation and unlimited mileage.
Check out my question here + code

where-can-i-find-best-deal-rental-cars-gta-2486991/

And Ive been trying to shop all night. Seems like they all have the same search engine. If youre too hung up on what type of car, forget the Kicks. It's tiny inside compared to what Im trying to get.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2008
1261 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto
Biscayne05 wrote: Check out my question here + code

where-can-i-find-best-deal-rental-cars-gta-2486991/

And Ive been trying to shop all night. Seems like they all have the same search engine. If youre too hung up on what type of car, forget the Kicks. It's tiny inside compared to what Im trying to get.
Wow! Thank you so much! I picked the Kicks cause it was the cheapest available. But with yours literally just found an SUV for 500 range.