• May 3rd, 2020 5:32 pm
[OP]
Dec 17, 2009
565 posts
503 upvotes
Toronto

How much do you tip for takeout order?

How much do you tip for takeout order?

I usually give ~5%, is it too less or too much.
I don’t tip McDonald or KFC, so don’t know should I tip take out order.
62 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9677 posts
5494 upvotes
tofubb wrote: How much do you tip for takeout order?

I usually give ~5%, is it too less or too much.
I don’t tip McDonald or KFC, so don’t know should I tip take out order.
15%-20%. They take more risk per order (traffic / road / weather conditions), more time to get to you per order...than at the restaurants.

If it's a delivery for the family (multiple meals), then I factor in the gas and time I saved. 25%-28%.

Edit: I just re-read the question. "Takeout" - You're doing the taking, right? That's 8%-10%.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6297 posts
2730 upvotes
I hope you mean delivery service. Nobody in their right mind would tip for driving/walking over to a restaurant and ordering takeout.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
620 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
badOne wrote: I hope you mean delivery service. Nobody in their right mind would tip for driving/walking over to a restaurant and ordering takeout.
So much this. However, I will tip 10-30% for delivery (depending on weather and difficulty for the driver)
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Nov 11, 2013
543 posts
476 upvotes
Calgary
I tip zero when I pick up the order. For deliveries it’s 10-20% based on if there was a delivery fee or not.
Mar 6, 2015
335 posts
1063 upvotes
New Brunswick
What exactly are you tipping for? You had to place the order. You had to go to the establishment to get your food. You have to deal with the cleanup/trash.

The only thing you could possibly justify tipping for is them not screwing up your order.....which you likely won't know about until it's too late, thus defeating the purpose of a service based tip. I would never tip takeout.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1487 posts
1420 upvotes
GTA
badOne wrote: I hope you mean delivery service. Nobody in their right mind would tip for driving/walking over to a restaurant and ordering takeout.
In normal times I would agree with you. But with the reduced business these establishments and servers are getting I have been tipping 15% on my pickups. Basically for the risk these servers are taking and a thank you for doing it. My restaurant spending is down two thirds during these times so I am still saving big time.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5270 posts
2563 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m tipping as well for take out orders. I look at it this way: under normal times when you tip a waiter a portion of that usually goes to the kitchen staff. I’m just helping those workers by making up for that loss.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33002 posts
18764 upvotes
Ottawa
As a regular at one particular establishment, where the staff and I know each other's name, I always tip when I take out.
The tip is negated by the fact that that I get a 10% discount.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1311 posts
300 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote: In normal times I would agree with you. But with the reduced business these establishments and servers are getting I have been tipping 15% on my pickups. Basically for the risk these servers are taking and a thank you for doing it. My restaurant spending is down two thirds during these times so I am still saving big time.
This is us right now. I never tipped before when I picked up food. But in these times I figure it's danger pay for them.
Dec 28, 2009
226 posts
49 upvotes
mrweather wrote: I’m tipping as well for take out orders. I look at it this way: under normal times when you tip a waiter a portion of that usually goes to the kitchen staff. I’m just helping those workers by making up for that loss.
I've never worked in the restaurant business but don't cooks make a full salary as opposed to the wait staff who depend heavily on gratuities?

On a side note....I've noticed more & more tip jars at fast food establishments recently. I have no problem showing my appreciation but why am I tipping the cashier when my food could take too long or not be prepared properly?
Jan 19, 2018
720 posts
476 upvotes
I tip zero for take out. I still tip 10% for delivery.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8403 posts
2204 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
Ninja15 wrote: I've never worked in the restaurant business but don't cooks make a full salary as opposed to the wait staff who depend heavily on gratuities?
Commonly tips are pooled using some method. Everyone who is involved in the diners’ experiences gets a portion of tips, except that provincial laws may prohibit the owner from taking a portion of the tips.

Workers can decide their own system for splitting tips, commonly based on a point system. The people who have the most direct dinner contact but contact with the fewest dinners (e.g., servers) get the most points of a tip, but from fewer tips. The people who have the least direct contact, but who affect the experience of more dinners (e.g., kitchen staff) get the least points from each tip, but get points from more of the tips.

Here is an example of a 10 point system with three servers.

Server gets 4 points.
Cook gets 2 points
Greeter gets 1 point.
Bus person gets 1 point.
Kitchen cleaner, dishwasher gets 1 point.
Server pool gets 1 point

Of you are a server and get a $10 tip, you get $4, the cook gets $2, the greeter gets $1, etc. One dollar goes into the servers’ pool and at the end of the shift, it gets split equally among the servers. That is a simple description. Systems vary with the number of employees in various roles, etc.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Nov 24, 2013
937 posts
391 upvotes
Toronto
Zero on a pickup order
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4041 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
Gave a store owner $40 for $32 worth of food. He's a great guy and his store sells amazing takeout food. We had a small chat about how business was going and he said business is 95% down and the landlord is hounding him daily for the rental payment. I felt bad for the guy so I tipped him. It's the least I could do for someone who remains open to help feed people.