Automotive

How much does my 1994 Honda Accord worth now?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 4:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London

How much does my 1994 Honda Accord worth now?

I bought the accord new and it is a EX-R, the following are not working right now (The engine and transmission still works very good, only 240,000km): by the way, no accident.

1) ABS
2) Air Conditioning
3) Driver window can not open/close, the switch is broken for this window and the motor may not work as well.
It was still ok to drive the car until the following
4) if the gas tank is full, I can smell gasoline if I park the car inside the garage, I will not smell gas if the tank is about 3/4 full, anything above I can smell gas but I don't see any gas on the ground, so no idea.
5) The radiator fan is not working, I tested it according to a youtuber and it is most likely a sensor is not working plus there is a leak on top of the radiator, it will not leak if the engine temperature is normal.

Since I can no longer drive the car because it will overheat within 10 minutes, I am thinking of selling it to junk yard or anyone who is interested in fixing it.

How much do you think it worth or it don't worth anything, Thanks.
61 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19287 posts
7441 upvotes
Toronto
Junkyard or try one of those services that picks up your car and gives you a tax receipt.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3697 posts
1233 upvotes
Edmonton
Easy fixes if you still want to drive the car

The A/C might be a bit more expensive depends what's wrong with it but if you know what your doing it still should be fairly cheap.

Question is, so you still want to drive it? And if so, what's the max your willing to spend to get it up and running?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London
tmkf_patryk wrote: Easy fixes if you still want to drive the car

The A/C might be a bit more expensive depends what's wrong with it but if you know what your doing it still should be fairly cheap.

Question is, so you still want to drive it? And if so, what's the max your willing to spend to get it up and running?
No more than 1k, I did change the sensor but the fan still don't turn on when the engine is hot, Rockauto send me another one but I did not try that one yet. To be honest, after all these years, we no longer need two cars, the only thing that is stopping me from selling is because this is the 1st new car that we bought after marriage and my wife kind of sad when she heard that I am going to get rid of it.

By the way, mechanic told me it may be the gas tank is leaking, I may need to replace a new gas tank.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
$200-250? You might find a sucker to give you $500 though.

ABS and air con always to failed on that era of Hondas (Accords, Civics, Integras, Preludes) like 3 days after the 3yr warranty was over. Then people just drove around with the ABS light on indefinitely and used 2-60 air conditioning, lol. So many Honda owners did that back in the late 90s/early 00s. The ABS fails because they used high-pressure ABS in a time/application when they didn't need to because these cars didn't have TC, never mind ESP. 90% of the time what fails is a tiny o-ring underneath the nitrogen cannister on the ABS module. Stealers would tell people then needed new $1000 ABS units, lol...which is why no one ever fixed them. The thing is you can't fix it without removing the ABS module because it's on the bottom. So you basically have to remove the whole thing and drain brake fluid and bleed the whole system top to bottom--ABS unit, MC, etc. It's a a bit of a job. So those things are pretty much expected (A/C, ABS) whether it's 2021 or it was 1998 lol.

Now the engine should not overheat in 10 mins just because the rad fan is not working, there's going to be more to the story here.

What will be most surprising is if the car is not rusted to shit, lol. Granted the Accords and Preludes were a little better than "ultra rustbuckets" Civics and Tegs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote: $200-250? You might find a sucker to give you $500 though.

ABS and air con always to failed on that era of Hondas (Accords, Civics, Integras, Preludes) like 3 days after the 3yr warranty was over. Then people just drove around with the ABS light on indefinitely and used 2-60 air conditioning, lol. So many Honda owners did that back in the late 90s/early 00s. The ABS fails because they used high-pressure ABS in a time/application when they didn't need to because these cars didn't have TC, never mind ESP. 90% of the time what fails is a tiny o-ring underneath the nitrogen cannister on the ABS module. Stealers would tell people then needed new $1000 ABS units, lol...which is why no one ever fixed them. The thing is you can't fix it without removing the ABS module because it's on the bottom. So you basically have to remove the whole thing and drain brake fluid and bleed the whole system top to bottom--ABS unit, MC, etc. It's a a bit of a job. So those things are pretty much expected (A/C, ABS) whether it's 2021 or it was 1998 lol.

Now the engine should not overheat in 10 mins just because the rad fan is not working, there's going to be more to the story here.

What will be most surprising is if the car is not rusted to shit, lol. Granted the Accords and Preludes were a little better than "ultra rustbuckets" Civics and Tegs.
it will not heat up fast if it is just sitting there idling, 10 minutes is if I drive it around. The big problem is I can smell gas if the tank is more than 3/4 full. The body of the car is still ok and quite good, always in the garage and rust proof every two years.

By the way, do you know how long I can keep my plate number after I sold the car. Thanks.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
apvm wrote: it will not heat up fast if it is just sitting there idling, 10 minutes is if I drive it around. The big problem is I can smell gas if the tank is more than 3/4 full.
99% you have a gas tank leak. Other 1% is it's just the filler neck leaking/disconnected but with a car that old almost certainly the tank. If you had a 96 or newer you'd have the MIL on due to the leak for sure. However since yours is a '94, it would be on OBD-I and there wasn't really any codes and stuff for that back then. (Gasoline in the atmosphere is a major pollutant hence why cars have evap systems and hence why the MIL would be on in a newer car for either an EVAP leak, non sealing gas-cap, or leaking tank--anywhere it senses gas could be escaping.)

Anyone buying this car would be buying it for parts as the price of a new tank is probably nearly as much as the whole car is worth, if not more lol.
apvm wrote: The body of the car is still ok and quite good, always in the garage and rust proof every two years.
That's pretty good. Yeah like I said the Accords were a little better, but it has been many years at the same time. Many Civics, Integras rusted to garbage even being "rustproofed" because there's no way in hell you can rustproof those rustbuckets lol.

Anyway yeah car is really old and has a lot of problems, your best bet is to sell as-is/for-parts and hope you can get a few hundred out of it. Better idea is just let them take it for charity as mentioned, get a tax receipt for it and get rid of it quick and easy and no weirdo people to deal with off kijiji, autotrader, etc.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote: 99% you have a gas tank leak. Other 1% is it's just the filler neck leaking/disconnected but with a car that old almost certainly the tank. If you had a 96 or newer you'd have the MIL on due to the leak for sure. However since yours is a '94, it would be on OBD-I and there wasn't really any codes and stuff for that back then. (Gasoline in the atmosphere is a major pollutant hence why cars have evap systems and hence why the MIL would be on in a newer car for either an EVAP leak, non sealing gas-cap, or leaking tank--anywhere it senses gas could be escaping.)

Anyone buying this car would be buying it for parts as the price of a new tank is probably nearly as much as the whole car is worth, if not more lol.


That's pretty good. Yeah like I said the Accords were a little better, but it has been many years at the same time. Many Civics, Integras rusted to garbage even being "rustproofed" because there's no way in hell you can rustproof those rustbuckets lol.

Anyway yeah car is really old and has a lot of problems, your best bet is to sell as-is/for-parts and hope you can get a few hundred out of it. Better idea is just let them take it for charity as mentioned, get a tax receipt for it and get rid of it quick and easy and no weirdo people to deal with off kijiji, autotrader, etc.
Thank you so much, do you know how long I can keep the plate number after I sold the accord. Thanks again.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29736 posts
10454 upvotes
apvm wrote: Thank you so much, do you know how long I can keep the plate number after I sold the accord. Thanks again.
You can keep the plates forever. In Ontario the plates go with the owner not the car. I'm not sure about other provinces. In some US states the plates go with the car, for whatever reason, but here in ON you own the plates [separately]. In fact you can't sell the car with the plates at all--next owner (if they want to put it on the road, will have to get their own plates).

If you want a refund of whatever sticker portion is remaining I believe you have to turn in the plates or at least bring them into the MTO for them to take the sticker off or whatever. Also if you want to use the plates on another car, you may do that as well, just head to MTO and let them know you want to register the plates on a new/another vehicle.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 2, 2018
934 posts
796 upvotes
Toronto
An oldie, how is the body after 27 years? Is it all rusted or amazingly survived in great shape.

I would think rusted at which point the car is best suited for some kid who wants to buy if for a couple hundred to take to a crash up derby. Not kidding....I got rid of my 1968 Ford Falcon to one such kid, car got a sendoff worthy of a trusted vehicle...better than getting crunched in the scappers jaws of death.

If the car miraculously is rust free it is possible an enthusiast might pay a few dollars to restore as if gives him a memory of his first car. Dont think many would want a 94 Accord in very poor shape, pile in more money than the thing is worth for sentimental reasons.

Call one of those scrap places, forget any cash let them tow it away and if you get that for free you are up on the deal truthfully.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: An oldie, how is the body after 27 years? Is it all rusted or amazingly survived in great shape.

I would think rusted at which point the car is best suited for some kid who wants to buy if for a couple hundred to take to a crash up derby. Not kidding....I got rid of my 1968 Ford Falcon to one such kid, car got a sendoff worthy of a trusted vehicle...better than getting crunched in the scappers jaws of death.

If the car miraculously is rust free it is possible an enthusiast might pay a few dollars to restore as if gives him a memory of his first car. Dont think many would want a 94 Accord in very poor shape, pile in more money than the thing is worth for sentimental reasons.

Call one of those scrap places, forget any cash let them tow it away and if you get that for free you are up on the deal truthfully.
There are rust but not all rusty, on both side panel behind the passenger doors and above the rear wheel.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London
ES_Revenge wrote: $200-250? You might find a sucker to give you $500 though.

ABS and air con always to failed on that era of Hondas (Accords, Civics, Integras, Preludes) like 3 days after the 3yr warranty was over. Then people just drove around with the ABS light on indefinitely and used 2-60 air conditioning, lol. So many Honda owners did that back in the late 90s/early 00s. The ABS fails because they used high-pressure ABS in a time/application when they didn't need to because these cars didn't have TC, never mind ESP. 90% of the time what fails is a tiny o-ring underneath the nitrogen cannister on the ABS module. Stealers would tell people then needed new $1000 ABS units, lol...which is why no one ever fixed them. The thing is you can't fix it without removing the ABS module because it's on the bottom. So you basically have to remove the whole thing and drain brake fluid and bleed the whole system top to bottom--ABS unit, MC, etc. It's a a bit of a job. So those things are pretty much expected (A/C, ABS) whether it's 2021 or it was 1998 lol.

Now the engine should not overheat in 10 mins just because the rad fan is not working, there's going to be more to the story here.

What will be most surprising is if the car is not rusted to shit, lol. Granted the Accords and Preludes were a little better than "ultra rustbuckets" Civics and Tegs.
You are right, the ABS light was on after a few years (can't remember exactly when maybe between (2003-2005), took it to Markham Honda and they quoted about $3,000 to fix, I said no and they threatened to keep my car in their garage due to safety regulation of the Government, I had to fix it before I can drive it. I told them "I will tow the car to another shop" and they release the car back to me and no more saying I could not drive it.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 23, 2004
9051 posts
2060 upvotes
London
tmkf_patryk wrote: Easy fixes if you still want to drive the car

The A/C might be a bit more expensive depends what's wrong with it but if you know what your doing it still should be fairly cheap.

Question is, so you still want to drive it? And if so, what's the max your willing to spend to get it up and running?
Yes if no problem with gas tank, the radiator fan is an easy fix and won't cost much. Nonetheless, a gas tank leak is too dangerous and it is not cheap to fix. Thanks.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 29, 2019
612 posts
474 upvotes
If you have an OEM catalytic converter, then probably $600 is given to you to scrap it. If it is not an OEM, probably $200.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2007
1708 posts
596 upvotes
Vancouver
Owning a car for that long is hard to give up. I owned a 1990 Acura Integra for 20years looking back now I wished I had put the money in to fix it up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
35637 posts
4474 upvotes
Winnipeg
those are some major issues, scrap and move on
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
30049 posts
16061 upvotes
Toronto
slap on a bunch of vtech stickers and it would be priceless.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3697 posts
1233 upvotes
Edmonton
divx wrote: those are some major issues, scrap and move on
What part is major?

He has no major issues from his post
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3697 posts
1233 upvotes
Edmonton
apvm wrote: Yes if no problem with gas tank, the radiator fan is an easy fix and won't cost much. Nonetheless, a gas tank leak is too dangerous and it is not cheap to fix. Thanks.
If you are handy you can get it all done in under $500.

Get some nitrogen to pressure up your a/c system and then put it under vacuum. See what's leaking in your system
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8

Top