Home & Garden

How much does weeping tile / blue skin or a like job cost these days?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2019 5:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3853 posts
2619 upvotes
Ontario

How much does weeping tile / blue skin or a like job cost these days?

I'm in a smaller home that is 800 Sq Feet. Downside I have a big tree that needs to go, Front Deck, Back Deck, and the one whole side is an old pretty much abandoned home with raised land / barrier about 2 feet or so away from my home that would have to come down to fix the side of the home. Clearly very expensive and lengthy cost.

I'm wondering would I be looking at something more like 10k or like 20-30k?

I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and looking sort of an idea what people might been quoted in the past to get any kind of barrings on it.

Thanks.
---
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3287 posts
2265 upvotes
Toronto
Only way to get a good answer is have some estimates done. You've got around 120 linear feet of foundation (assuming 20 x 40 foot bungalow or something like that). Depth of foundation, amount of grading needed to be done... lots of variables.

Sounds like you need some heavy equipment to move earth and improve the grade one one side at least, dig the entire house down to the footings, put in new weeping tiles, waterproof and backfill.

Not sure what you mean by 'one whole side is abandoned home...' Is one side worse than the others? You're getting water in the basement?

I'd expect at least $20K.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12209 posts
8612 upvotes
Edmonton
kanechart wrote: I'm in a smaller home that is 800 Sq Feet. Downside I have a big tree that needs to go, Front Deck, Back Deck, and the one whole side is an old pretty much abandoned home with raised land / barrier about 2 feet or so away from my home that would have to come down to fix the side of the home. Clearly very expensive and lengthy cost.

I'm wondering would I be looking at something more like 10k or like 20-30k?

I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and looking sort of an idea what people might been quoted in the past to get any kind of barrings on it.

Thanks.
I think you need to get someone to take a look at it. Whoever does that can explain what they're including in the quote and what's not included. Sounds like you've got a bunch of demo work and tree removal and... All those things are possibly outside the scope of a "weeping tile" job...

You could also look at getting the drainage tile done from the inside instead. Probably not ideal, but likely much cheaper if you're talking about demo'ing an old house to do it from the outside.

C
Feb 25, 2018
567 posts
213 upvotes
Hire someone with an excavator for around $60 a hour. It should take less than a day. After that it is pretty easy. You might hire someone to dig by hand @$15 would work too. Some people can really dig!
Then pressure wash the walls and paint with blue seal or tar, install the weeping tile, problem is where to drain it out, to your sewer would be ideal. Then fill mostly with gravel, put landscape fabric over it and fill it in. It is actually an easy job, imo.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6560 posts
1109 upvotes
I think basement waterproofing job is like $200+ per linear ft and that's if you live in GTA. Plus your middle of nowhere factor and other stuff like tree removal. It's not going to be cheap.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10063 posts
5325 upvotes
Paris
golden wrote: I think basement waterproofing job is like $200+ per linear ft and that's if you live in GTA. Plus your middle of nowhere factor and other stuff like tree removal. It's not going to be cheap.
There is a “middle of nowhere” sweet spot I find. GTA is typically the most expensive, with a dip out near KW where rents and so on are cheaper, then it rises again as you go north (or south coast of 519) towards cottage country and even just quoting is at least 60 mins of driving.

The biggest issue we have with a reasonable cottage is that our $10k foundation jobs are a non-starter when guys are able to do $50k-$250k foundation jobs for new cottages. There just isnt the labour force even available and getting someone, anyone to quote is a nightmare. Our old neighbour got his septic license and did us a favour doing some foundation work last fall. He delayed doing a huge job somewhere else and fit us in where and when he could. Dad had been trying for a few years to find someone and no one would come.

My favorite was a guy who we wanted to fix our steel roof. He quoted us 2 weeks, hotel rooms, and $800 of gas. I could not understand why the gas and hotel.