Careers

How much does your company invest in you?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2018 11:29 am
[OP]
Jun 19, 2007
793 posts
756 upvotes
Halifax

How much does your company invest in you?

I'm just curious what the average company out there is willing to put into their employees. I've worked for 4 different companies, and honestly curious if the current one is an aberration compared to the other 3, or if I got lucky because they were all huge companies.

I've worked a major car company, and a major mining company, and both were about the same. Would spend about a week on training when hired, would pay 50%-100% for boots, other basic safety gear. Most of my job history however was working for a major oil and gas service company, (blue), and literally had 6 months of training investment before I made them a dollar, any safety gear no question, winter coveralls etc provided, then usually about 1-2 courses a year where you'd fly somewhere.

My current employer literally did a first aid course (after 3 months and my pushing), and that's it. We're a mining contractor frequently around helicopters. Riding 30 minutes offshore required a 1 week course in the oil industry, here it was a 10 minute youtube video.

Another friend is literally having an MBA from Oxford being paid for by his company, and this place is fighting with an African coworker because he was shipped to Northern Sask at company request, bought $1000 worth of winter gear, and now expect the company to pay for it, but they think otherwise. Along side another worker's bag getting stolen in a truck break in, and then being told "too bad", this degree of cheapness is contributing to me being on my way out, but am curious if it's the norm? especially with small, private companies?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2344 posts
710 upvotes
New Brunswick
Outside of comp, I think many would say nothing except for the mandatory yearly training. Other would be lucky to get an education help.
Nov 8, 2006
864 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
my company pays for everything....

Dental: $25 deductible, 100% afterwards
Safety gear: 100% - no max limit
Health: 100%
School: 100% as long as you get a pass
[OP]
Jun 19, 2007
793 posts
756 upvotes
Halifax
raichu1 wrote: Outside of comp, I think many would say nothing except for the mandatory yearly training. Other would be lucky to get an education help.
Once you've reached a point in life where money is secondary, why would you ever work then?
marketb wrote: my company pays for everything....

Dental: $25 deductible, 100% afterwards
Safety gear: 100% - no max limit
Health: 100%
School: 100% as long as you get a pass
This is sort of what I was used to, with the schooling being on a case-by-case, and sometimes with stipulations like you need to stay on for 1-2 years. What size company do you work for? What industry? Public/Private?

I was also talking to another engineer who said they wanted him to pay for his flight/hotel up to interview (mine was over phone - cheaper, but riskier, it didn't come up, but I'd absolutely refuse to pay to fly up to interview), and another who the company would ask if he'd pay for his own flights overseas (and make a vacation out of it!). I'm leaning towards leaving, and I hope I'm not just acting spoiled, but it seems like such short-shortsightedness on their part. These sorts of policies will end up driving good people away so that your ranks are filled with the leftovers. I guess really it's just a question of extended, indirect benefits.
Nov 8, 2006
864 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Large pharma, got interviewed once in the US with a limo from site to site.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2344 posts
710 upvotes
New Brunswick
seadog83 wrote: Once you've reached a point in life where money is secondary, why would you ever work then?

Many firms don't invest in there work force. Many also do not train.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
2266 posts
1018 upvotes
Alberta
seadog83 wrote: Once you've reached a point in life where money is secondary, why would you ever work then?

This is sort of what I was used to, with the schooling being on a case-by-case, and sometimes with stipulations like you need to stay on for 1-2 years. What size company do you work for? What industry? Public/Private?

I was also talking to another engineer who said they wanted him to pay for his flight/hotel up to interview (mine was over phone - cheaper, but riskier, it didn't come up, but I'd absolutely refuse to pay to fly up to interview), and another who the company would ask if he'd pay for his own flights overseas (and make a vacation out of it!). I'm leaning towards leaving, and I hope I'm not just acting spoiled, but it seems like such short-shortsightedness on their part. These sorts of policies will end up driving good people away so that your ranks are filled with the leftovers. I guess really it's just a question of extended, indirect benefits.
Ya paying for an interview is ridiculous. The company that recruited me for my current position here in the states, was going to fly me out for an interview (after having 2 phone interviews), after they found out I had a family they flew my wife and two kids out here including hotel and food for 3 days. Their rationale was that, the family had to sign off on the move as well. No way I would ever pay to go out to an interview.
Jan 4, 2017
366 posts
272 upvotes
National telco, training as a frontline phone monkey was 3 weeks with full benefits package in effect as of day 1 (dental/medical/etc). Even the phone monkeys get pension match and shares match, and the other perks like big discounts on handsets and $15 for cell plan (unlimited everything, nationwide calling etc, except data; 3gb), almost half off the wireline services if you take the bundle, etc. As a phone monkey I found the overall initial investment into employee was quite good. I've since moved on to bigger and better within the same company, but the company has not otherwise invested a cent beyond the standard compensation. I have not been successful in making them honour the established company policies with regards to paying for relevant education towards my path in the company either. Too bad!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9608 posts
1860 upvotes
Toronto
raichu1 wrote: Many firms don't invest in there work force. Many also do not train.
This is true of my company and many in general.
Which is why companies are looking for so much experience and training, you either gained yourself or at the expense of former employers.
I think employers are also mindful that you may leave the job after their investing in you.
This unfortunately is a risk and how my brother got to the top in his field.
Also depends on the field, example computer related jobs are more likely to have training and upgrading.