Home & Garden

Locked: How much to install a dishwasher?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2009 10:12 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
892 posts
27 upvotes

How much to install a dishwasher?

I am moving into a new place in Toronto. We want to replace the existing dishwasher with a new one. is this something that is easily done ourselves (no plumbing experience)? How much should it cost to hire a handyman for a job like this?

Also need to install an over the range microwave.

thanks
Share:
8 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2399 posts
360 upvotes
I'm not much of a handy person at all and I performed both those tasks in my house, so unless you are REALLY afraid of tools I'd say it's something you can do yourself (well, you'll need a helper with the microwave).

That said, for the next 6 months I was paranoid that my dishwasher would leak and ruin my floor, or that my microwave would fall and destroy the glass top, so if you think you might be the same way, it might be worth it to spend the couple hundred and sleep better at night!
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2746 posts
515 upvotes
if its just replacing an old unit, its not difficult, double check that the drainage tubes are the same fitting.

Even installing a new unit alltogether is not difficult, Home depot also sells installation kits, around $40, includes new tubes, fittings etc.

not sure where abouts you live, but lot of the new subdivisions usually have handyman post/flyers, to install a dishwasher, its something like $60-100 labour
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5159 posts
691 upvotes
South of Ottawa
My mother and I replaced her old dishwasher ourselves. I hired a plumber to install my new one in my new house. $150 for the plumber.
[OP]
Oct 31, 2002
892 posts
27 upvotes
thanks everyone.
maybe i'll try to do the dishwasher myself. not sure about the microwave OTR. it's pretty heavy...
Jul 9, 2006
356 posts
77 upvotes
Tasco is charging me $135 for the dishwasher
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17025 posts
7360 upvotes
If you are worried about it, remove your old one ahead of time and take pictures of each connector that goes into it.

Then check if your new one has those same connectors, because if it doesn't, it's as simple as disconnecting and reconnecting.

Also, double check all the measurements!
Oct 28, 2007
634 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
igk wrote: thanks everyone.
maybe i'll try to do the dishwasher myself. not sure about the microwave OTR. it's pretty heavy...
If you get a friend to help you carry it, it's a fairly straightforward process. Just did mine over the weekend and as long as you're two, it's not too hard. The hardest part was trying to drill through the tile backsplash. We purchased a carbide drill bit specifically for tile and it melted completely after 1 1/2 hole :/ Still we managed to hook up it without too much fuss!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6544 posts
1297 upvotes
Sears charges $222 for dishwasher, $145 for OTR, and $107 for fridge water line install, IIRC. They can be talked down though....we had some delivery issues so they are giving us all three for $252 tax in. I figure if they screw up the appliances, per chance, that I bought from them I'll have a bit more recourse than if I got someone else to do it.