Automotive

How much insurance going to increase for a no left turn infraction?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 9:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4524 posts
3003 upvotes

How much insurance going to increase for a no left turn infraction?

Never got an infraction for over 10 years now, bit today I got fined for making a left turn where it was from 3pm to 6pm. So how much my premiums going to shoot up now?
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
38220 posts
24396 upvotes
Center of Universe
Do an online quote with and without the conviction to compare.
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
It shouldn't increase at all, its not speeding or dangerous driving.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1559 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
MusicBox wrote: It shouldn't increase at all, its not speeding or dangerous driving.
It's still a minor conviction. It's probably Disobey Sign with 2 demerit points.

While it's true some insurances companies don't raise your premiums for the first offense or don't run your convictions every renewal, you never know...
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18942 posts
6122 upvotes
London
cristianosham wrote: Never got an infraction for over 10 years now, bit today I got fined for making a left turn where it was from 3pm to 6pm. So how much my premiums going to shoot up now?
What's the infraction written on the ticket? (i.e HTA Section XX or bylaw)

Also, you should use this thread.....
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-me- ... tc-945928/
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15098 posts
11832 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
10%

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19708 posts
20194 upvotes
Richmond Hill
$10,000,000.00
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19708 posts
20194 upvotes
Richmond Hill
carmaster wrote: Fight it. Go to court.
Yes. Fight it for sure. Blame DST as the cause.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3874 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto
Check your insurance policy and see if you see a conviction free discount. If there isn't, chances are your insurer would not charge for a single conviction. From what my actuarial friends tell me, for insurer to file for a surcharge, generally they ask for an offsetting discount.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
A small minor traffic conviction is generation 10% increase on your next insurance's renewal.
Not the end of the world, read the sign carefully next time.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18942 posts
6122 upvotes
London
Don’t forget that for ON, I think there are two different flavours of that ticket:
A regular HTA ticket which could impact insurance
OR
A bylaw ticket which is similar to a parking ticket
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4866 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Don’t forget that for ON, I think there are two different flavours of that ticket:
A regular HTA ticket which could impact insurance
OR
A bylaw ticket which is similar to a parking ticket
Yes and the one OP got is the first one since he is actually driving the car and I assumed he pulled over by Police.
The other one that doesn't affect insurance is like parking ticket, red light ticket by camera (not pulled over)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18942 posts
6122 upvotes
London
MP3_SKY wrote: Yes and the one OP got is the first one since he is actually driving the car and I assumed he pulled over by Police.
The other one that doesn't affect insurance is like parking ticket, red light ticket by camera (not pulled over)
No, see the rfd link below

No turning between x time and y time is not in the HTA, it is actually a municipal bylaw. Cops could give either a bylaw ticket or an HTA ticket

Edit:
left-turn-ticket-under-bylaw-350570/
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18942 posts
6122 upvotes
London
cristianosham wrote: Here is the infraction.
http://legisquebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/showdoc/cs/C-24.2
Le Code de la sécurité routière =
C-24.2 - Highway Safety Code - Government of Quebec
This Code governs the use of vehicles on public roads, private roads and lands, pedestrian, cyclist and other road ...
310. Every person must comply with every road or traffic sign or signal erected under this Code.

Looks like you are SOL,

QC version of HTA

Ask in the other thread

Is the sign “No turn between x and y time” a valid traffic sign that can be erected under the QC Highway Safety Code?
Last edited by l69norm on Oct 11th, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 9, 2007
53 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I had one of these tickets years ago when I used to live in Toronto. Just ask for a court appearance, the court prosecutor makes a deal right before you see the judge and it typically results in no points and a reduced fine.

It’s an inconvenience to go to court, but essentially you get a slap on the wrist and no points .
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9968 upvotes
Edmonton
iainmcdee wrote: I had one of these tickets years ago when I used to live in Toronto. Just ask for a court appearance, the court prosecutor makes a deal right before you see the judge and it typically results in no points and a reduced fine.

It’s an inconvenience to go to court, but essentially you get a slap on the wrist and no points .
And in many jurisdictions, it doesn't matter that you get "no points", with regards to the OP's question. A conviction is what counts.

OP, you'd need to ask your insurance company about your policy. Some companies offer a discount for not having any convictions, some offer "first ticket amnesty". Not sure how things are done in QC.

C