Art and Photography

How much for lens cleaning?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2019 12:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world

How much for lens cleaning?

I have an old Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D that got mold inside.
I wonder how much is the price range for cleaning?

I watched a YouTube video and it looks very tricky to do by myself.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15917 posts
8786 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Depends on how much mold.... A good rule of thumb is if you can see visible mold damage to the coatings, it's not worth it as there would be a lot of mold and you probably won't be able to clean out all of the spores so the mold will probably return.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
craftsman wrote: Depends on how much mold.... A good rule of thumb is if you can see visible mold damage to the coatings, it's not worth it as there would be a lot of mold and you probably won't be able to clean out all of the spores so the mold will probably return.
There are about 4 to 5 spots only.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15917 posts
8786 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gontori wrote: There are about 4 to 5 spots only.
How big are the spots and are you sure it's mold?
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
craftsman wrote: How big are the spots and are you sure it's mold?
A bit smaller than a dime.
Similar to this pic (not my actual lens)
Image
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15917 posts
8786 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gontori wrote: A bit smaller than a dime.
Similar to this pic (not my actual lens)
Image

If it's similar to what you have then there's a good chance that at least some of the lens elements are toast as you can see the mold basically breaking down the coatings.
Sr. Member
Apr 24, 2012
533 posts
700 upvotes
Vancouver
gontori wrote: I have an old Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D that got mold inside.
I wonder how much is the price range for cleaning?

I watched a YouTube video and it looks very tricky to do by myself.
It's not that tricky at all to DIY. You just need to order one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Profession ... B00J5F6ZI2
and the rest of tools, such as heat guns and screwdrivers can be bought from any hardware store. Couple hours and you are done. You'll probably have to pay $200 - $300 for someone to do it for you.
Have faith in your self! you can do it. Post your results here :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
craftsman wrote: If it's similar to what you have then there's a good chance that at least some of the lens elements are toast as you can see the mold basically breaking down the coatings.
I'll take a pic of my lens on the weekend and post it.
It doesn't look like as damaged as the pic I showed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
zaporozhets wrote: It's not that tricky at all to DIY. You just need to order one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/Neewer-Profession ... B00J5F6ZI2
and the rest of tools, such as heat guns and screwdrivers can be bought from any hardware store. Couple hours and you are done. You'll probably have to pay $200 - $300 for someone to do it for you.
Have faith in your self! you can do it. Post your results here :)
I could do with the screwdrivers and the dual tip wrench.
I'm worried more about the heat gun and not being able to glue back the components, besides the electronic bands that pop out.
I could take them off, but to put everything back on and functioning it's another game.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15917 posts
8786 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gontori wrote: I could do with the screwdrivers and the dual tip wrench.
I'm worried more about the heat gun and not being able to glue back the components, besides the electronic bands that pop out.
I could take them off, but to put everything back on and functioning it's another game.
The key is how many elements and which elements have the mold. If it's the front element, then it's going to be easy to get to.
Sr. Member
Apr 24, 2012
533 posts
700 upvotes
Vancouver
gontori wrote: I could do with the screwdrivers and the dual tip wrench.
I'm worried more about the heat gun and not being able to glue back the components, besides the electronic bands that pop out.
I could take them off, but to put everything back on and functioning it's another game.
Don't worry about glue. If it dries out and doesn't stick, you can use rubber glue that cyclists use for patching tires. And, if you watch the repair video carefully, you'll see that electronic ribbon cables don't just pop out by themselves. Take your time and follow the video and you should be fine. Approach it like a learning experience, if you can fix this lens, then you can fix more lenses in the future if needed and in unlikely scenario that you fail, you gained experience, so you loss is just a price of education.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
craftsman wrote: The key is how many elements and which elements have the mold. If it's the front element, then it's going to be easy to get to.
It looks like it's just the front element... and hopefully it will be the only piece that will need the cleaning.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
186 posts
50 upvotes
GVRD
gontori wrote: It looks like it's just the front element... and hopefully it will be the only piece that will need the cleaning.
You need to clean thoroughly even though it is only visible on the front element. Mold.. travels with the air.
Camera shops usually charge between $200~$300 depending on the lens.
"NOTHING HAUNTS US LIKE THE THINGS WE DON'T SAY."

-MITCH ALBOM

Top