Shopping Discussion

How much money would you waste if Amazon didn't show you that you already purchased an item?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2019 8:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1342 posts
2327 upvotes
Toronto

How much money would you waste if Amazon didn't show you that you already purchased an item?

You know, this is one of those "quality of life" things that retailers don't need to do, but in the end likely saves them a lot of grief, and ends up costing them some sales.

Far too often when it comes to blu-rays or video games, I see something on sale and think to myself "that's a good price, I should get it". Then once I click on it, I see the little banner on the top say "You purchased this item on..." and I think to myself "I was literally just about to buy that!"

It's a small detail I appreciate. And obviously it's usually just smaller items I forget about, but it's still appreciated that they do this. Because the reality is that if I bought second copy of a movie for $5, I'd likely never go through the trouble of trying to return it. And even though it would leave me annoyed with the retailer, I'd know the responsibility should end with myself.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1873 posts
1351 upvotes
Montreal
I remember what I buy so this do nothing for me.
Feb 11, 2007
745 posts
237 upvotes
I do the same thing and do end up buying something a second time but it is because I bought it from someone other than Amazon. I like how Amazon tells me I bought it. It is hard to keep track of the over 1000 Blu Ray movies I have.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1327 posts
971 upvotes
British Columbia
Yikes. I remember what I buy so do not have this issue. The only thing that banner does for me is to confirm it's the same item I previously ordered so I feel confident in reordering the item.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4120 posts
923 upvotes
Sask.
This happens to me with books, so I like that Amazon does this.

Sad to admit I have purchased a duplicate once from Chapters, my bad.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17685 posts
5611 upvotes
Toronto
Ya it's a good feature for sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4048 posts
906 upvotes
This could work for them too. If it's something that can be used up, if the site tells me I already ordered, I'll re-order without having to make sure it's the right item. ebay does the same thing.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1342 posts
2327 upvotes
Toronto
recordman wrote: This could work for them too. If it's something that can be used up, if the site tells me I already ordered, I'll re-order without having to make sure it's the right item. ebay does the same thing.
True. There's not too much that I use Amazon for re-ordering, but I agree it's always good to know that it actually the same thing you ordered last time.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4781 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
Skilas wrote: True. There's not too much that I use Amazon for re-ordering, but I agree it's always good to know that it actually the same thing you ordered last time.
I don't know if it costs them sales in the long run, because Amazon is too big to care about one-offs or an extra sale because someone made it by accident. They're trying to encourage a habit, so that people buy from Amazon because "that's where my history is" rather than search google for the cheapest store each time. In some ways I find it comforting because there are so many things on there now, it can get confusing whether this is actually what you bought last time (e.g. the same size/fragrance of detergent).

Also from their perspective, you're right that sometimes people who make an accidental double-order don't return it, but those that do end up costing Amazon more in shipping. I don't think it's in their best interest to have customers that order things accidentally, overall.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
1342 posts
2327 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: Also from their perspective, you're right that sometimes people who make an accidental double-order don't return it, but those that do end up costing Amazon more in shipping. I don't think it's in their best interest to have customers that order things accidentally, overall.
Is this an option to return the item, and get free shipping? I know you can say something like "defective" and get it done free (which I do not encourage), but I'm not sure about accidental purchases. I tried returning an item once where my option was "not what I wanted" (or something) and was told I would be charged shipping.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4781 posts
1594 upvotes
Toronto
Skilas wrote: Is this an option to return the item, and get free shipping? I know you can say something like "defective" and get it done free (which I do not encourage), but I'm not sure about accidental purchases. I tried returning an item once where my option was "not what I wanted" (or something) and was told I would be charged shipping.
Yeah, I don't encourage it either, but I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of "defective" or "not fit for purpose" returns are just code for "I don't want to pay for return shipping". And as data driven as Amazon is, I'm sure they know that too.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26047 posts
11519 upvotes
Also $0 because I'm usually looking to buy it again.
Either that or I bought it and now have no idea where it went so I want a 2nd one.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2005
1284 posts
69 upvotes
i remember what I purchased but last time I forgot to check the quantity
so like i have 3 of those Aukey phone clip-on macro lenses.