Entrepreneurship & Small Business

How much is the Pandemic going to cost you to reopen?

• Last Updated:
  • May 29th, 2020 6:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9732 posts
4890 upvotes
Markham

How much is the Pandemic going to cost you to reopen?

Curious for those who are closed right now...how much is it going to cost you to reopen when you get the green light?

I'm not asking about lost revenue, I'm asking real $ that you have to spend before you are allowed to open.

I was speaking to a dentist (they might have even higher requirements than a hospital as you're up close and personal with fluids) and the costs are astronomical.
>Sealing off treatment rooms (building walls, putting in doors),
> installing purification systems (leaving treatment room vacant for 8min to 3.5 hrs)
> full on PPE etc.
> very extensive cleaning between patients - presume you change from soiled PPE to new and then clean and then change again before next patient?
I'm not saying this is not reasonable...but how does a dentist make any money doing all of these things?

If your dentist is reopening, would you go for a cleaning right now?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1967797

Ontario requirements are much much higher
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4959820

Dental guidelines
https://az184419.vo.msecnd.net/rcdso/pd ... n_Care.pdf

If you can please post profession, perhaps size of business (number of staff), things you have to do, costs you're bearing etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
4 replies
Apr 2, 2020
119 posts
45 upvotes
I own a therapeutic massage therapy clinic. We employ 23 registered therapists. So far our costs are over $10,000 to reopen.

I'd like to see some tax credits for small businesses. If the government wants to set all of these restrictions and new requirements, they should pay for them.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9732 posts
4890 upvotes
Markham
Pronoia wrote: I own a therapeutic massage therapy clinic. We employ 23 registered therapists. So far our costs are over $10,000 to reopen.

I'd like to see some tax credits for small businesses. If the government wants to set all of these restrictions and new requirements, they should pay for them.
Agreed. They should have a special tax write off for capital type improvements related to COVID.

Is your governing body also asking for air purifiers, waits before next client etc?

Apr 2, 2020
119 posts
45 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Agreed. They should have a special tax write off for capital type improvements related to COVID.

Is your governing body also asking for air purifiers, waits before next client etc?
Luckily massage isn't regulated in my province so our requirements are reasonable. We have to stop the spread of the virus and keep everyone safe, but we aren't getting carried away with things.

We do have to limit how many people are in our clinic at one time.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9732 posts
4890 upvotes
Markham
Pronoia wrote: Luckily massage isn't regulated in my province so our requirements are reasonable. We have to stop the spread of the virus and keep everyone safe, but we aren't getting carried away with things.

We do have to limit how many people are in our clinic at one time.
The Ontario dental body is the most stringent of the provinces I think. In some respects is not bad but they needs to be some reasonableness.

To be honest these rules are there to protect you as much as it is to protect the clients, so in my opinion trying to implement guidelines that may be more than required is not a bad thing.

Personally I'm not going to see my RMT for a bit. Going to wait and see how things shake out.