Careers

How much should I charge for my services?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2012 7:37 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 3, 2008
549 posts
75 upvotes

How much should I charge for my services?

So, I'm thinking of starting a side business where I do online marketing for small businesses. I have a business degree, and about 5 years of experience with online marketing, as that's what I do for my full time job.

I'm on a salary here in my full time job, so I don't know what I should charge a small business owner for my services and time. Let's say I have a client who doesn't know much about online marketing and hires me to take care of this for him/her. I then do some SEO, Adwords campaigns, social media management for them, etc.

What's all this worth???? I'm just thinking about doing some freelance stuff, but am unsure of what people would be willing to pay in a small business.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
manyapples wrote: So, I'm thinking of starting a side business where I do online marketing for small businesses. I have a business degree, and about 5 years of experience with online marketing, as that's what I do for my full time job.

I'm on a salary here in my full time job, so I don't know what I should charge a small business owner for my services and time. Let's say I have a client who doesn't know much about online marketing and hires me to take care of this for him/her. I then do some SEO, Adwords campaigns, social media management for them, etc.

What's all this worth???? I'm just thinking about doing some freelance stuff, but am unsure of what people would be willing to pay in a small business.
To be honest, because you're doing this on the side, you should individualize you pay according to the client, his/her needs/wishes and what your time is worth to perform those services.

Also, check the market rate.
Banned
Jun 30, 2012
513 posts
21 upvotes
manyapples wrote: So, I'm thinking of starting a side business where I do online marketing for small businesses. I have a business degree, and about 5 years of experience with online marketing, as that's what I do for my full time job.

Its like 10-15$ an hour I think, but still it depends on your skill and the task you will do.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
49 upvotes
valinrace wrote: Its like 10-15$ an hour I think
$15 is what part-time phone girl in immigrant office gets. I'd say this is lowballing, although OP can make up the difference on charging more hours than he really spent doing the job.

I'd say the better estimate would be a honest estimate of time OP needs to spent on the project, multiplied by $25.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10154 posts
2731 upvotes
We get IT consulants every now and then that charge 100-150/per hour. 25$ per hour is very low to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2010
2764 posts
178 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: We get IT consulants every now and then that charge 100-150/per hour. 25$ per hour is very low to me.
Then you get some from Deloitte/IBM/Oracle/SAP charging 250+ an hr (some not even worth half of that).
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
3615 posts
49 upvotes
rocking23nf wrote: We get IT consulants every now and then that charge 100-150/per hour. 25$ per hour is very low to me.
What we're talking about here is a moonlighting, and he would be competing with scores of kids who truly believe that knowledge of adwords settings is all you need to succeed. Yes, the rate is low but realistic. Would he be overwhelmed with customers, he might start to charge more...
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
607 posts
38 upvotes
TORONTO
You can start by low prices and when you create a good portfolio you can charge more.