Computers & Electronics

how much should I expect to pay for a mid-range gaming PC? And where to go for custom gaming PC in GTA?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2021 4:03 am
[OP]
Oct 22, 2016
280 posts
94 upvotes

how much should I expect to pay for a mid-range gaming PC? And where to go for custom gaming PC in GTA?

Hello all,

I always play games on consoles like playstation and xbox. I will be getting PS5 to upgrade from my ps4 and xbox x once PS5 become widely available. But I am getting into PC VR games since I have a Occulus quest 2 headset. I want to play Half-Life: Alyx VR which require a pretty powerful gaming PC. So I am in the market for gaming PC for first time. How much should I expect to spend on gaming pc? where to go for custom gaming PC in GTA?

Thank you!
29 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
208 upvotes
YYZ
Canada computers and Mike's computer shop
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1294 posts
866 upvotes
bas00m wrote: Canada computers and Mike's computer shop
Avoid CC at all costs, anyone else is better, Memory Express, Mikes, Newegg (not sure if NE builds customs though).
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
208 upvotes
YYZ
iamsiege wrote: Avoid CC at all costs, anyone else is better, Memory Express, Mikes, Newegg (not sure if NE builds customs though).
Why? Cc has good deals from time to time
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1294 posts
866 upvotes
bas00m wrote: Why? Cc has good deals from time to time
Because they are by far the worst retailer in Canada, other than that, no reason.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12462 posts
3699 upvotes
There's no reason. He's just being a hater.
bas00m wrote: Why? Cc has good deals from time to time
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
208 upvotes
YYZ
iamsiege wrote: Because they are by far the worst retailer in Canada, other than that, no reason.
personal bad experience? i never had a bad experience with them honestly
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1294 posts
866 upvotes
bas00m wrote: personal bad experience? i never had a bad experience with them honestly
Yes, me and many others on RFD. I had a $600 CPU shipped via Canada Post that was lost and I had to resort to disputing the charge on my credit card and having them go after them because after 3 weeks they still hadn't responded. **** that company.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15902 posts
7476 upvotes
Ottawa
right now the problem is getting the parts. You'd want one of the new graphics cards like the 3060 Ti or 3070 and the new AMD CPUs where are nowhere to be found. So you might need to put in an order and be backordered on some of the parts.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/cnBD4 ... ming-build (note: they did NOT include the price of the processor in the total, so count on $350-450 more depending on which processor you get)

You could downgrade to a 3060 Ti and save a bit from this build.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
208 upvotes
YYZ
iamsiege wrote: Yes, me and many others on RFD. I had a $600 CPU shipped via Canada Post that was lost and I had to resort to disputing the charge on my credit card and having them go after them because after 3 weeks they still hadn't responded. **** that company.
Ok but with the dispute if you can prove to your cc company that the package was lost then you have nothing to worry about. I'm not defending them but mail do get lost.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1294 posts
866 upvotes
bas00m wrote: Ok but with the dispute if you can prove to your cc company that the package was lost then you have nothing to worry about. I'm not defending them but mail do get lost.
I had nothing to do with the mail getting lost, it had to do with CC not picking up their phone or returning emails for well over 3 weeks. Forcing me to dispute it when they could have shipped a replacement since I went to the trouble of opening the ticket with Canada Post and doing all the work for them when CP admitted it was lost and they just needed to file a claim. Only after I disputed the charge did they respond, so, I did prove it to my credit card company and they refunded it immediately but it's a step that I shouldn't have had to do. I told them to close my account with them as it was my first and last experience with them.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1294 posts
866 upvotes
sexyj wrote: There's no reason. He's just being a hater.
Yeah I do have a reason and yes I am a hater for the previously mentioned reason.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12462 posts
3699 upvotes
uh huh
iamsiege wrote: Yeah I do have a reason and yes I am a hater for the previously mentioned reason.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15070 posts
2657 upvotes
So I am in the market for gaming PC for first time. How much should I expect to spend on gaming pc?

where to go for custom gaming PC in GTA?

For a mid-level gaming rig, I would say around $1400 - $1600. I am sure there will be a few people who will chime in with a lower budget, but I am considering future upgrades. This will give you a fairly good platform for moving up.

For a pc retailer, I would go with CC and Mike's as already mentioned.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1124 posts
208 upvotes
YYZ
iamsiege wrote: I had nothing to do with the mail getting lost, it had to do with CC not picking up their phone or returning emails for well over 3 weeks. Forcing me to dispute it when they could have shipped a replacement since I went to the trouble of opening the ticket with Canada Post and doing all the work for them when CP admitted it was lost and they just needed to file a claim. Only after I disputed the charge did they respond, so, I did prove it to my credit card company and they refunded it immediately but it's a step that I shouldn't have had to do. I told them to close my account with them as it was my first and last experience with them.
why would you try this long with any vendor .. you have proof that delivery company lost your package. a quick call to your CC bank with that proof and it will be refunded and you buy it somewhere else. no need to boil your blood with the venodr
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1294 posts
866 upvotes
bas00m wrote: why would you try this long with any vendor .. you have proof that delivery company lost your package. a quick call to your CC bank with that proof and it will be refunded and you buy it somewhere else. no need to boil your blood with the venodr
I haven't tried this long, after 10 days I sent the info to my CC company and they refunded me immediately after I sent them proof it was not delivered because I was not getting any responses from Canada Comp. My blood isn't boiling either, I just want to warn people to stay away from them. I don't doubt some people have had good experiences with them but the trust pilot score shows how bad they are not to mention their employees being caught scalping video cards and cpus on ebay/kijiji.

[OP]
Oct 22, 2016
280 posts
94 upvotes
Looka like Mike computer is based in Hamilton. Do they do shipping for custom build computer?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12462 posts
3699 upvotes
LOL, still with the "you work at CC" insults LOL

:facepalm:
iamsiege wrote: How long have you worked at CC? It appears I am not the only one who has had issues.

https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/www.ca ... puters.com

A whopping 1.4 stars out of 5.