Automotive

How much should I expect to pay for these repairs?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 8:53 am
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice

How much should I expect to pay for these repairs?

I have a 2010 cobalt which has been off the road since Sept. It was off the road due to no need for the car. Now I am going to need it and it had a few repairs that need to be done. I know nothing about what these repairs cost so want to get an estimate of what I am looking at.

1. New Battery
2. Rear break pads were at 2MM
3. Lower control arm bushings to be replaced
4. O2 Sensor replacement
5. Rattle in steering column when breaking from high speeds(No idea what's wrong yet)

It will be done by a friend so probably half shop rate. I'm really hoping it's around $1000.

Thanks!
19 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
If those repairs are costing you $1000 while being done by a "friend" they really are not much of a friend.

#5 will be the most expensive to repair because it is vague and requires troubleshooting. I hesitate to say it - but will - it might be a repair you ask their opinion on and whether it's actually worth investigating. Sometimes you have problems that you just live with because figuring out what is wrong may take hours and hours, while in the opinion of a mechanic, might not pose any safety concerns.

With having no knowledge of a 2010 Cobalt I would think that repairs #1 through #4 should each cost $200 or less at a real shop, so a friend should be able to do it for that as well.
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
TrevorK wrote: If those repairs are costing you $1000 while being done by a "friend" they really are not much of a friend.

#5 will be the most expensive to repair because it is vague and requires troubleshooting. I hesitate to say it - but will - it might be a repair you ask their opinion on and whether it's actually worth investigating. Sometimes you have problems that you just live with because figuring out what is wrong may take hours and hours, while in the opinion of a mechanic, might not pose any safety concerns.

With having no knowledge of a 2010 Cobalt I would think that repairs #1 through #4 should each cost $200 or less at a real shop, so a friend should be able to do it for that as well.
Thanks for the reply! I'll probably install the battery myself so that'll just be 150ish.

The control arm bushings I was quoted at 400 just because it is labor intensive apparently.

The steering column noise has been an ongoing issue for years. Last time I drove it though the wheel felt tense. It was off the road from July-Sept, then I drove it once to move. Wheel felt tight.
Dec 26, 2011
101 posts
111 upvotes
GTA
You should just head to Canadian Tire or Costco if you can and get a new battery yourself and put it in. No need to pay anyone to do that.

I’ve changed my own brake pads before, it isn’t that labour extensive. I’ve been quoted $300 for all 4 including labour and parts, so I would estimate $100-$150. Pads are cheap, rotors are more expensive if you need to change them too.

I’ve had lower control arms (not bushings) done at a reallly expensive shop, two of them and they charged me $700. So JUST for the bushings on one side I wouldn’t pay more than $300 parts and labour.

That’s all I could speak too though. Maybe see if the rattling goes away after your breaks are changed, since you only feel it while breaking. I wonder if the breaks are giving out trying to slow down higher velocity. Good luck!
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
The steering column issue is def to do with something in there. It's a known issue for cobalt. If it goes beyond audible idk. It might be something I don't need to fix.

If bushings, brakes, battery cost about 500 I'll be happy. I think the O2 sensor is about 70 for the part.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
How good is the condition of the body?

That's a lot of money to put into the car
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
george__ wrote: How good is the condition of the body?

That's a lot of money to put into the car
Body is good. I bought it new 7-8 years ago. Only 130k on it.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Trix77 wrote: I have a 2010 cobalt which has been off the road since Sept. It was off the road due to no need for the car. Now I am going to need it and it had a few repairs that need to be done. I know nothing about what these repairs cost so want to get an estimate of what I am looking at.

1. New Battery
4. O2 Sensor replacement
5. Rattle in steering column when breaking from high speeds(No idea what's wrong yet)

It will be done by a friend so probably half shop rate. I'm really hoping it's around $1000.

Thanks!
1. T5 Battery @ Costco around $140+HST+Core, DIY 10min work

2. Rear brake pads and rotor
Performance Pads: RAYBESTOS SP1095EUH @ $65 rockauto
Performance Rotor: POWER STOP AR82141XPR Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted @ $48 each (needs 2) rockauto
Shipping & Taxes: $50

3. Not sure front or back, but buy one from MOOG from rockauto for between $10 to $40, lump it into shipment with the brake stuff.

4. Not sure which O2 sensor, but between $45 and $140, lump it into shipment with brake stuff.

5. Could be a manufacturers' problem, but most likely shitty rotors/brake pads. #2 should fix this problem.

All in all, even if we take the most expensive analysis here, you're looking at around $550 for all the parts. Now all you gotta do is haggle out the amount of labour you wanna give your buddy. I'd say $60 an hour, perhaps 3-4 hours of work. If I were you, I'd just buy all the stuff, and pay your bud $200 straight and call it a night.

The upside of all this, the brakes alone will make your car into a racecar.
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
Anikiri wrote: 1. T5 Battery @ Costco around $140+HST+Core, DIY 10min work

Performance Rotor: POWER STOP AR82141XPR Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted @ $48 each (needs 2) rockauto

3. Not sure front or back, but buy one from MOOG from rockauto for between $10 to $40, lump it into shipment with the brake stuff.

4. Not sure which O2 sensor, but between $45 and $140, lump it into shipment with brake stuff.

5. Could be a manufacturers' problem, but most likely shitty rotors/brake pads. #2 should fix this problem.

All in all, even if we take the most expensive analysis here, you're looking at around $550 for all the parts. Now all you gotta do is haggle out the amount of labour you wanna give your buddy. I'd say $60 an hour, perhaps 3-4 hours of work. If I were you, I'd just buy all the stuff, and pay your bud $200 straight and call it a night.

Why would it be a racecar lol? He also gets a discount at partsource because he has an account as a mechanic with them. Would getting the parts you listed still be worth it or better to use partsource discount?
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Trix77 wrote: Why would it be a racecar lol? He also gets a discount at partsource because he has an account as a mechanic with them. Would getting the parts you listed still be worth it or better to use partsource discount?
Yes. Partsource doesn't even carry those high quality items. Everything I listed are top of the top of the top stuff for your car. There is nothing that Partsource carries that even comes close to the quality of these listed from rockauto. And no chance Partsource beats these prices, even with a mechanics discount.
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
Anikiri wrote: Yes. Partsource doesn't even carry those high quality items. Everything I listed are top of the top of the top stuff for your car. There is nothing that Partsource carries that even comes close to the quality of these listed from rockauto. And no chance Partsource beats these prices, even with a mechanics discount.
Okay awesome.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18946 posts
10527 upvotes
Trix77 wrote: Thanks for the reply! I'll probably install the battery myself so that'll just be 150ish.

The control arm bushings I was quoted at 400 just because it is labor intensive apparently.

The steering column noise has been an ongoing issue for years. Last time I drove it though the wheel felt tense. It was off the road from July-Sept, then I drove it once to move. Wheel felt tight.
Via RockAuto you can buy control arms that come with bushings installed for $85 - $150 (and that's AC Delco and Moog branded ones) for each side. This also includes the ball joint. I would consider this if you are faced with high labour rates to replace the bushing itself. Obviously you can just replace the bushing but your friend may appreciate the simplicity of just bolting on a new part with everything in place.

In case you are unaware, Costco is a great place for batteries because of their no questions asked return policy. CT is also decent because they have a variety of price points, Costco just has one price point.
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
TrevorK wrote: Via RockAuto you can buy control arms that come with bushings installed for $85 - $150 (and that's AC Delco and Moog branded ones) for each side. This also includes the ball joint. I would consider this if you are faced with high labour rates to replace the bushing itself. Obviously you can just replace the bushing but your friend may appreciate the simplicity of just bolting on a new part with everything in place.

In case you are unaware, Costco is a great place for batteries because of their no questions asked return policy. CT is also decent because they have a variety of price points, Costco just has one price point.
Yeah Costco will be where I get my battery.

I was considering just the control arm too. Helps him out as IDK if he has the tools to pop the bushings out. I'll ask what he wants to do.

As long as I come in under 1000 I'm happy.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Anikiri wrote: 1. T5 Battery @ Costco around $140+HST+Core, DIY 10min work

Lol where you find $60 an hour labour?

I can’t find an indie for under $100 an hour. Dealer is $170.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Jun 18, 2005
495 posts
21 upvotes
Courtice
nasa25 wrote: Lol where you find $60 an hour labour?

It's a family friend.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Trix77 wrote: It's a family friend.
Oh well that’s understandable I guess. It’s tough to get a third party that does good work for even $80 an hour.

Edit - I think Ankiri quoted $60 an hour my post was in response to him actually.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote: Lol where you find $60 an hour labour?

Well I was thinking this dude was OPs mate, so he aint charging a gazillion bucks per hour. But as for your concern, I think it is really hard finding $60 mechanics. My personal dude does that ,but only for me I think. I do bring him food once in a while for no reason. But finding mechanics charging $80 an hour shouldn't be too hard, especially outside the city.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Trix77 wrote: I have a 2010 cobalt which has been off the road since Sept. It was off the road due to no need for the car. Now I am going to need it and it had a few repairs that need to be done. I know nothing about what these repairs cost so want to get an estimate of what I am looking at.

1. New Battery
4. O2 Sensor replacement

Thanks!
Check out I Power Auto Services ... give them a call at (647) 382-3422 ...

I Power Auto Services - Website
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
4598 posts
1658 upvotes
Brampton
The vibration under braking or during acceleration can be a symptom of the bad control arm bushings. When getting replacements the bushings for cavaliers will also fit and are actually stronger. They use a spherical joint rather than a soft rubber blob that tears in a short period of time.
Considering the number of parts you are looking for Rockauto would be a good option.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Trix77 wrote: 3. Lower control arm bushings to be replaced

Like Prod says, control arm bushings could be the vibration source. You know they need replacing, do that then road test.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)