How much time to clear device balance ?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2020 10:29 am
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes

How much time to clear device balance ?

Had a bell contract but moved to rogers.

Right now unable to pay the device balance.

What options do I have and how will they affect my credit report/score. (Trying to find way that gives to time to clear the balance but doesn't harm my credit profile)

Some options I can think of but may not be possible:-

Requesting to pay over months immediately instead of 1 single payment.

Pay the device balance after few months since I am unable to pay anything now as my financial situation wont permit it. ( this may have adverse report on credit score)

Finally after how many months of no payment does bell sends the accounts to debt collection ?
6 replies
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes
Talk to Bell about it. Try to work out a payment plan with them.

I don't know your whole situation.
Last edited by Redmask on Feb 13th, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed portion of quote related to off-topic discussion
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1919 posts
1027 upvotes
Calgary
Definitely talk to Bell and see what they can suggest. If you don't go with a payment plan, overdue payments will affect your credit score a bit. After several months they will send it to a collection agency and that will impact your credit score more.

Take this as a lesson to evaluate everything before switching to a new provider - a better monthly cost isn't always worth it if you're still paying a device balance off.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1073 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto, ON
start by selling off your phone used on kijiji
buy iPhone 5s also used so that at least you have a phone.
try to talk to your provider and see what they can do about the plan. try to lower it at least by something

its not worth getting your credit screwed over a cell phone...
its not that much of an amount to try to earn and pay off
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3115 posts
1531 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Sorry OP about your situation, but what you should have done is:

1)Look at how much you owe back to Bell
2)See if you can afford to pay that off first

I had a contract with Freedom and had Fido give me a better plan and a new phone. I was using iPhone 7 Plus, and my payout with Freedom was $495 (including taxes). So I sold my iPhone for $550 paid off the TAB balance and kept $50 in savings. Always plan everything ahead of time before actually getting it. Only way to pay off the balance now is to see what assets you can sell on hand to cash some money.

Good Luck.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
17617 posts
7493 upvotes
Oakville
Call Bell. Better to get on top of it now and try to set up a payment plan, than to let it accumulate interest and ultimately get sent to collections.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Feb 11, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Sorry OP about your situation, but what you should have done is:

1)Look at how much you owe back to Bell
2)See if you can afford to pay that off first

I had a contract with Freedom and had Fido give me a better plan and a new phone. I was using iPhone 7 Plus, and my payout with Freedom was $495 (including taxes). So I sold my iPhone for $550 paid off the TAB balance and kept $50 in savings. Always plan everything ahead of time before actually getting it. Only way to pay off the balance now is to see what assets you can sell on hand to cash some money.

Good Luck.
Yeah it was more of a quick & emotional decision. I got a brand new phone and contract with Bell. But for past few months I consistently got very low speeds. Had to go through the robots speaking from call centre - asking me to restart my phone, take my sim out, go to a service center that was far away and giving all kinds of excuses that like city centre good speed theory and some even saying thats good enough speed. I waited and escalated and finally just wanted to end this drama and ported out. I dont blame the call center guys as its just their work but after repeated escalations and no resolution, I had no option as I just didnt want them to have my business.