Home & Garden

How much time do you spend maintaining your house?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2020 7:29 pm
[OP]
Jul 31, 2017
104 posts
20 upvotes

How much time do you spend maintaining your house?

Out of curiosity, how much time do people spend per week maintaining their home per week? And how much would you say that you spend per year on maintaining your home? I've been reading that 3% of your house cost is what you should spend. Do you find this is the case?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11452 posts
6635 upvotes
Paris
None of this makes any sense. Presumably as your house value increases so does your hourly rate from work.

You send what needs to be spent. You shovel when it snows, and mow when it grows.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36794 posts
4966 upvotes
Winnipeg
Different components of the house have different life cycle, so there is work involved. You either do it yourself, pay someone to do it, to rent which becomes the landlord's problem. I do think home owner needs certain level of competence when it comes to maintenance.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1885 posts
1601 upvotes
GTA
A lot.

Also, this is a totally subjective question. You could mow your lawn twice a week and have a huge garden, or you could mow your lawn once every three weeks. If you like gardening does that count as "maintaining your home"?

Most of it comes down to personal preference, and what you have time to do or what you can afford to do or see value in doing.

I'm sure you could leave most things as are for most rooms for 30 years+, then just the normal windows, furnace, roofing intervals.

Three percent of your house cost a year seems pretty high. Lets say you own a million dollar house in the GTA, you house is probably worth $500k (on the high side Smiling Face With Open Mouth) and the land is worth the balance. I would say 1%, ie $5k a year would probably cover you.

HVAC = $5k, Windows = $20k, Roof = $8k, so thats 33k on maybe a 15 year horizon, which comes out to 2.2k a year for the "big ticket stuff", Idk if you count appliances as maintenance, I probably would, but basically after big ticket stuff, you still have $2.8k a year to cover basic maintenance and appliances, which seems legit. So 1% of the actual house cost, not the sale price probably seems more legitimate.

Again, a lot of this comes back into needs vs wants, and that whole can of worms. If your maintenance is renoing your old kitchen to the tune of $100k, then maybe the numbers don't apply to you.

All in all, you could spend very little and you could spend a ton, just like most things in life.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10637 posts
3306 upvotes
other then mowing the grass and shoveling snow, there is really no maintenance at our house. in the spring we do some yard sprucing up every year ourselves but that's about it.

I don't do annual maintencence on hot water tanks and furnaces, i only service them if something is wrong.
Aug 23, 2014
409 posts
193 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
buttertarts wrote: Out of curiosity, how much time do people spend per week maintaining their home per week? And how much would you say that you spend per year on maintaining your home? I've been reading that 3% of your house cost is what you should spend. Do you find this is the case?
I would say closer to 1% per year on average. That is just maintainance and does not include renovations (eg updating bathrooms etc).

Time wise I would say a an hour to a few hours a week. Again that’s just maintainance eg mowing the lawn, yard work. Obviously this will vary depending the size of your property and overall condition.
Dec 18, 2017
240 posts
135 upvotes
GVA
I spend a fair amount of time and money in the spring, but less spending this year due to COVID. I recently tore apart and replaced the bottoms of the two pillars at my outside entryway as they had rotted. I just bought a new cathode for my hot water tank and will replace that next weekend. On Friday, I spent three hours cleaning 20 metal min-blinds using a jig I made up with plywood and hooks. Yesterday, I shampooed some carpet that had kitty puke on them. I'd say on average I spend about 1-3 hours per week doing maintenance of some sort. I like to putter around though and fancy myself an ultimate DIY guy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)