• Dec 1st, 2018 4:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 19, 2018
17 posts
4 upvotes
Canada

How much tint?

Ok, so I have never tinted my car before as I did not realize the benefits of UV protection, etc. I am now planning to tint my car, but I am torn because on one hand I want the tint to provide its benefits and justify the cost, yet on the other hand I am pondering safety issues. Isn't it unsafe to have your windows tinted and not be able to see if someone is inside of your car? How about if you need help while inside of your vehicle and no one would be able to see you needing help since the windows are tinted? I am thinking 35% tint, but some people say it doesn't protect well from the sun and heat, so would it be a waste?
P.s not sure why someone downvoted my question?!
Last edited by NinaA29765 on Nov 27th, 2018 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2615 posts
1871 upvotes
15% means only 15% of light is going inside of the vehicle. In other words, very dark.
I currently have 18% on my car and I find it too dark. I am constantly rolling down the windows to see. This is especially dangerous turning corners and seeing pedestrians, backing up, etc.

Personally I think the sweet spot is 23%
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2016
1160 posts
951 upvotes
I was thinking about tinting too but after doing more research, changed my mind. Isn't there basically no law here in Ontario regarding tinting? It's up to the cop's discretion to ticket you or not. That's my biggest concern. More tint = more chance of getting pulled over.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4087 posts
2688 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
If you just want UV protection for your face and arms, just do something like 50-70% front window tints and 30% back. That should be good enough for safety and looks.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Aug 13, 2011
566 posts
127 upvotes
Scarborough southwes…
If OP is in Ontario, isn't there a law now that says max is 70% (30% light blocked) on the front windows and no tint at all on windshield?
Too lazy to google it myself.
Oct 20, 2010
502 posts
116 upvotes
i got 25% on front windows, and 5% on back and read. IT is very, very dark in the back, at night, i only see the headlights and nothing else.
Being light sensitive, this tint became a blessing for me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9969 posts
2046 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you dont want it dark but want the benefits of tint then

#1 you want to buy a good brand ie: Formula 1 tint, 3M etc Dont go for some cheap stuff.
#2 You want Ceramic Tint NOT the regular stuff. Ceramic tint will block out the sun uv much better and keep your car cooler.
#3 Dont go any lower then 35% as it will likely be to dark for you, I got my parents 40% Ceramic Tint and no complaints or you could even do 50%.
#4 Go with a quality installer, if you go to one of these random tint places that has some special for $199 tint chances are you are getting crap. I went to this location which uses Formula 1 Tint which is one of the top brands & your looking at $400 for Ceramic tint. So if you are not paying around that price range for Ceramic then chances are your not getting a good quality product or somebody is lying to you.
http://www.pureauto.ca/mississauga-tint-shop/
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2615 posts
1871 upvotes
New laws prohibit the front windshield from being tinted after market and stipulate windows to the right and left of the driver must not block more than 30 per cent of light. There will be no new limit for rear windows. While the law technically goes into effect today, they only affect cars built after Jan. 1, 2017

Realistically, a police officer should be able to see your persons in the dark with the windows up. If not, prepare to possibly have a gun drawn on you for the officers protection.
Whenever i got pulled over I'd turn on the interior light and have my hands on the steering wheel. Officers greatly appreciate knowing they are safe.
Last edited by 6mthatch on Nov 27th, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Nov 19, 2018
17 posts
4 upvotes
Canada
Thank you! I meant I am considering 30% tint, not 15! I don't want it too dark, nor I would feel comfortable for the potential safety concerns I mentioned already. Yes, I want the sun protection for the main part and just a hint of privacy. @sickcars , the place I am going to offers a ceramic Suntek or Xpel Prime XR film. I don't like the look of the cars which have only back passenger and rear glass tinted, so I would want to tint everything but the windshield. Sounds like I should consider 50%.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2615 posts
1871 upvotes
NinaA29765 wrote: Thank you! I meant I am considering 30% tint, not 15! I don't want it too dark, nor I would feel comfortable for the potential safety concerns I mentioned already. Yes, I want the sun protection for the main part and just a hint of privacy. @sickcars , the place I am going to offers a ceramic Suntek or Xpel Prime XR film. I don't like the look of the cars which have only back passenger and rear glass tinted, so I would want to tint everything but the windshield. Sounds like I should consider 50%.
What company?
Smash that like button!
[OP]
Nov 19, 2018
17 posts
4 upvotes
Canada
@6mthatch Ceramic Pro Missisauga. I don't have any need for the tint on the windshield except for maybe clear coat to prevent from possible rock chips (had them before!) I think I will stick with 35-50% on the rest of the windows, I know many people like the rear window super dark but I don't like not seeing through my car for safety (agree with police officers here), as you never know!
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3735 posts
3100 upvotes
Oakville, ON
NinaA29765 wrote: Ok, so I have never tinted my car before as I did not realize the benefits of UV protection, etc. I am now planning to tint my car, but I am torn because on one hand I want the tint to provide its benefits and justify the cost, yet on the other hand I am pondering safety issues. Isn't it unsafe to have your windows tinted and not be able to see if someone is inside of your car? How about if you need help while inside of your vehicle and no one would be able to see you needing help since the windows are tinted? I am thinking 15% tint, but some people say it doesn't protect well from the sun and heat, so would it be a waste?
P.s not sure why someone downvoted my question?!
There are films available that reject the heat & UV without being dark - they’re clear or virtually clear.

Here’s one example from 3M:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/ ... 668&rt=rud

Most of the benefits of tinted film without the downsides of being dark, getting pulled over, night time visions, etc.
Jan 13, 2007
437 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
35% tint is the generally accepted "sweet spot" for tinted windows in most jurisdictions. Just a reminder that 35% tint means that it will allow 35% of the light to come through and block 65%.

This is a good visual:

Last edited by woofster on Nov 27th, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.