Tags:
[OP]
Sep 27, 2009
65 posts
14 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL

how much to tip movers?

Hi Forum.

I will be moving next month and I will have 2 different movers (3-men crew each) to move our piano and our belongings and furniture.

Just wondering how much should I tip each of the team?

Thanks.
39 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14167 posts
9465 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Soda and Pizza.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Soda and Pizza.
+1
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jul 8, 2014
348 posts
194 upvotes
AB
I tipped my 2 man delivery crew $30 each a couple of years ago. These two guys essentially moved my entire home in 3 hours, albiet it was only 5 minutes away. These guys did not take a break, and worked like dogs for 3 hours straight in a day that was probably close to 30C. I found them on kijiji for $100/hr, so the total cost was $360 including the tip, and they earned every penny of that tip!
Nov 14, 2012
518 posts
349 upvotes
I don't think there is any expectation outside food serving or delivery for it to be based on the bill value.

For example when we had kitchen installed, which was billed as $1000 job, I gave them $20 each and these guys seemed very pleasantly surprised. Or when I go to a car mechanic with some concern and it ends up being just a consult because no repair is needed, I also leave $20 and they are super happy. Of course it goes to guy who was jacking it up and not the garage.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17194 posts
19092 upvotes
Oakville
pchang wrote: You guys want to help me move in this case? LOL
Sure, but I charge like I expect no tip. $100/hr per person.

Really though, If you feel like you got a great deal and they did a great job, then sure, tip them. If you paid a lot, and did just as expected, with no problems that helped you with, then should they expect a tip?
Do you tip your mechanic? Real-estate agent?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1132 posts
518 upvotes
York Region
If they did a good job with no damage give them a $50 each
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3023 posts
1366 upvotes
Woodbridge
I wish you all the best. Hopefully you have hired well vetted and well reviewed movers. Otherwise you may get stuck and not even want to pay what you owe them forget alone the tip. I learned it hard way that never use cheap movers as they will cost you twice as expensive than reasonably priced movers. Jia Jia has earned quite a bit of good reputation for a reason. Atleast, all there charges are upfront and they do not hold you prisoner at the end,
pchang wrote: Hi Forum.

I will be moving next month and I will have 2 different movers (3-men crew each) to move our piano and our belongings and furniture.

Thanks.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
May 10, 2006
108 posts
49 upvotes
Ouch pizza and soda.... people willing to tip food servers 15%ish for bringing you food regularly. 2-3 guys lifting 100s of pounds of furniture into their truck then into your new home breaking their back. They are in care for 10s of thousand of dollars of your personal belongings as well as the walls and floors of your new home.

Most of these guys are employees with a very low hourly wage.

Not a fan of tipping culture but wow a little more appreciation (if they take good care of your home/belongings) than Pizza and soda is warranted compared to some other industries society regularly tips.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5336 posts
1596 upvotes
Toronto
The last time I think gave $200 tips total for the 3 guys, plus ample of lunch and drinks. On the official moving company invoice, I only wrote down some minimal amount of tips. But I gave the guys cash separately, just in case the company took a cut from the tip.
These guys aren't making much, once taking away the expense and share from the company. As other said, moving all that stuffs efficiently in freaking heat of summer is a very tough job.

Certainly a service that I feel is worth tipping assuming the movers do good job. Tips for food take-outs, on the other hand, definitely not.
Jan 8, 2009
794 posts
451 upvotes
GTA
When we last moved, it was the morning of one day and the morning of the next, out and into the new place, and I made sure I would have the same 3 guys both days. They so impressed me on the 1st day that I got them each a $50 prepaid VISA gift card and handed those out when they finished at our new place. Normally I would provide drinks and food and do more for them and/or give them cash as well but this was right in the middle of COVID and the VISA cards seemed like the best way to go. They seemed both surprised and pleased, so hopefully I did the right thing.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11821 posts
3477 upvotes
Ontario
Does not hurt to give a money tip and food, you cna do the regular pizza thing or maybe do something a little different for food, ask them what they like.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5844 posts
259 upvotes
GTA
pchang wrote: Hi Forum.

Thanks.
16 years ago, I tipped, pizza, beer, water and pop plus i gave the 3 men crew $100 each as they were very professional and made the entire event turn key... I didn't have to do anything other than put my clothes back in the drawers.....
Looks like my RFD account was recently hacked. I do not sell anything on RFD especially GC's.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10090 posts
9941 upvotes
Markham
Whats with all the tipping? You're already paying for something, whats this whole concept of tipping? If I am paying for X and I got X, why am I tipping someone for X? This entire notion is stupid and employers need to pay an adequate wage or simply raises prices.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17848 posts
15296 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Couple of good RFD Past Threads on Movers

Tipping “Movers” ? = tipping-movers-1150152/
Moving Etiquette - Lunch ? = moving-etiquette-lunch-2301505/

Tipping / Food ... totally up to you
A lot depends on how much stuff you have (how big a job)
How crappy the weather (heat & humidity ... or cold)
As well as how much you treasure your stuff I suppose

Got a big honking piano ... juke box, or pinball machine(s)
Then a tip really is expected
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 28th, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aug 18, 2013
408 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Not a huge fan of tipping. I hired some movers and rounded up the agreed price as tips. They told me I should tip 10% 🤷. I gave them another bill
Feb 27, 2007
479 posts
284 upvotes
If you're willing to tip a server 15-20% you should tip your movers at least that - they likely make minimum wage or close to it.

4 years ago I tipped 3 movers (did a fantastic job) $300 on top of the bill which was under $1000. They seemed absolutely shocked that I tipped that much but they really did a great job.
Jan 21, 2021
90 posts
102 upvotes
$50-100 per guy and coffee / lunch. They work really hard and make about $20 per hour.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15146 posts
11634 upvotes
Tarrana
Based on the price of moving these days most I do is $20 if they do a good job.

I really do dislike this tipping culture though. I get it it’s restaurants and a few other things but people seem to want a tip for everything. Uber eats is the worst. Asking for 20% tip calculated on top of fees and taxes. Wtf is that about?