how much to tip movers?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2022 9:03 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7632 posts
3423 upvotes
While I consider myself a generous tipper, I really wish that people were just paid an appropriate wage and we do away with tipping entirely, in every industry.

People ought to be paid for the work that they do, not some arbitrary amount someone subjectively decides.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2454 posts
3228 upvotes
von Monster wrote: If you're willing to tip a server 15-20% you should tip your movers at least that - they likely make minimum wage or close to it.

4 years ago I tipped 3 movers (did a fantastic job) $300 on top of the bill which was under $1000. They seemed absolutely shocked that I tipped that much but they really did a great job.
I tip restaurants and personal-service people (like the barber) and no-one else. I refuse to be duped into the food-service industry 15-20% PR campaign. No one gets more than 15% unless the service is magical+.
Penalty Box
Apr 18, 2013
3871 posts
2151 upvotes
Canada
Last time I moved, the cost was around $300. I gave the head guy (owner??) a $20 tip and the crew celebrated because that meant they were going to 7-11 for Slurpees.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19412 posts
17891 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Toukolou wrote: While I consider myself a generous tipper, I really wish that people were just paid an appropriate wage and we do away with tipping entirely, in every industry.

People ought to be paid for the work that they do, not some arbitrary amount someone subjectively decides.
Completely agree and we wouldn't have people working harder for people who are known as generous tippers vs those who aren't. Build the bloody service into the price and lets keep it moving.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4258 posts
1025 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: ...
How crappy the weather (heat & humidity ... or cold)
Got a big honking piano ... juke box, or pinball machine(s)
Then a tip really is expected
Neezy99 wrote: $50-100 per guy and coffee / lunch. They work really hard and make about $20 per hour.
+1

And................ how many stairs you have. LOL.

My place is a townhouse and it's like 20 stairs to get to the "main" floor FROM the sidewalk (between with a foyer in between), letalone anything upstairs to the bedrooms.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19746 posts
23161 upvotes
GTA
poorwingman wrote: +1

And................ how many stairs you have. LOL.

My place is a townhouse and it's like 20 stairs to get to the "main" floor FROM the sidewalk (between with a foyer in between), letalone anything upstairs to the bedrooms.
Don't they include those steps and other difficulties when pricing the job?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1262 posts
445 upvotes
Oakville, ON
von Monster wrote: If you're willing to tip a server 15-20% you should tip your movers at least that - they likely make minimum wage or close to it.

4 years ago I tipped 3 movers (did a fantastic job) $300 on top of the bill which was under $1000. They seemed absolutely shocked that I tipped that much but they really did a great job.
The whole point is that servers get paid below minimum wage with the expectation that it will meet or exceed minimum wage with the addition of tips. Movers do not fall under this category.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4258 posts
1025 upvotes
engineered wrote: Don't they include those steps and other difficulties when pricing the job?
Nope. Prob depends on which company you go with.

I doubt the workers get paid more per hour for doing stairs. I don't think their employer cares whether they move pillow boxes for 5 hours or if they're moving furniture up 30 stairs for 5 hours.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot for tipping more. shrug.
Nov 28, 2020
182 posts
181 upvotes
I had a very large move that took all day. They worked hard so I gave them $100 each.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19746 posts
23161 upvotes
GTA
poorwingman wrote: Nope. Prob depends on which company you go with.

I doubt the workers get paid more per hour for doing stairs. I don't think their employer cares whether they move pillow boxes for 5 hours or if they're moving furniture up 30 stairs for 5 hours.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot for tipping more. shrug.
I would assume they would ask some questions like where it's moving to and from, like an apartment with or without elevators, bungalow vs, stacked townhome, heavy items, etc. Or maybe they just say $100/hr and it is what it is. In that case it makes sense to tip if they hustled and didn't pad the time.
I have no idea because I've always moved myself with family help.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3128 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor

I was a mover about 10 years ago with a mom-and-pop moving company. I was getting paid $25, and minimum wage was somewhere around $10 IIRC. Movers get paid pretty well. Our company was priced about the same as everyone else.

I got tips about half the time. $50 was awesome for a 5hr move, usually we got $20 pp regardless of how long it took us. We were a good crew, pretty rare for us to damage anything. Snacks and a selection of cold (or warm in the winter) beverages was also awesome; we got that maybe 25% of the time.

More than once the homeowner said "there's pop/snacks/coffee maker/etc in one of the boxes, but I can't remember which". So, don't pack that away if you're planning to offer it. We were good at sniffing out the box if we knew there were "good" snacks ;).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Feb 27, 2007
615 posts
465 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: I was a mover about 10 years ago with a mom-and-pop moving company. I was getting paid $25, and minimum wage was somewhere around $10 IIRC. Movers get paid pretty well. Our company was priced about the same as everyone else.

I got tips about half the time. $50 was awesome for a 5hr move, usually we got $20 pp regardless of how long it took us. We were a good crew, pretty rare for us to damage anything. Snacks and a selection of cold (or warm in the winter) beverages was also awesome; we got that maybe 25% of the time.

More than once the homeowner said "there's pop/snacks/coffee maker/etc in one of the boxes, but I can't remember which". So, don't pack that away if you're planning to offer it. We were good at sniffing out the box if we knew there were "good" snacks ;).
Fair enough - I just double checked my statement and I think people are reading it as I tipped each mover $300. I tipped each one a hundred bucks and the bill was just under a grand. I think the total move time was 6ish hours or so?

I'm not saying you have to tip, but I was happy enough to do so - if the guys hadn't have done such a great job I likely wouldn't have.
May 28, 2012
585 posts
567 upvotes
ONT
I moved recently and knowing there would be 3 movers, I had 3 $50- bills and 3 $20- bills in my wallet.

They did an excellent job and got the $50's.......
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4130 posts
4356 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Tipped anywhere from $0 to $100 per mover, depending.

The $0 one they did good but at the end when the work was almost done said they were going to get food and coming back. They never came back to finish so eff their tip.

The $100 one they stayed late to finish and had to carry a ton of heavy furniture in the rain and followed all instructions and did an overall amazing job.

Usually if its just a small/average move, $20 is more than enough. Most people don't tip anything so on all my moves they were not expecting a tip.
May 12, 2003
975 posts
369 upvotes
Incorrect, Movers make close to $30-35 an hour! Aint no mover working that hard for minimum wage, when you can just go and be a cashier at a grocery store for the same price.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7553 posts
2463 upvotes
0 downvotes
just remember, when you pay a moving company, your paying that money to the COMPANY not the individual people. That money you paid does NOT see the pockets of the employees, it goes to the accounting of the company. Most moving company employees make like $16-19 per hour. A lot of the money goes towards their expenses like vans, insurance, gas, labour, website, office, scheduling, etc,

The people who UNDERSTAND that logic are the ones nice enough to give a nice $50 dollar tip per employee, there are others who dont tip and they are usually like wow these guys are pocketing $1000 from me for this move but like I said before hardly any of that $1000 ends up in the moving company employees pockets.
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
May 12, 2003
975 posts
369 upvotes
AMEN to this. Tipping for work done as performed! lol, the restaurant industry has us all fooled!

Now a days we are seeing tipping on everything, uber/taxi, barbers, movers, even SUBWAY is asking for tips now.

What a ridiculous establishment of tipping. We should completely do away with tipping.

I tip exactly $0 for anything apart from restaurants (which i hate to do, but is frowned upon if I don't), and my barber
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19746 posts
23161 upvotes
GTA
ssj4_ootaku wrote: AMEN to this. Tipping for work done as performed! lol, the restaurant industry has us all fooled!

Now a days we are seeing tipping on everything, uber/taxi, barbers, movers, even SUBWAY is asking for tips now.

What a ridiculous establishment of tipping. We should completely do away with tipping.

I tip exactly $0 for anything apart from restaurants (which i hate to do, but is frowned upon if I don't), and my barber
hmmm, maybe we should start asking for tips for the advice given here on RFD? Time to start a Patreon account. lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
7553 posts
2463 upvotes
0 downvotes
ssj4_ootaku wrote: AMEN to this. Tipping for work done as performed! lol, the restaurant industry has us all fooled!

Thanks for agreeing with my post. As i said earlier, some people think the movers pocket all the money, a lot of them dont, they make a small cut., anyways to make a long story short, if someone does an absolutely GREAT job of service yeah why not tip someone, but if u dont want to tip someone, then you can always do the work yourself, like cook a meal yourself instead of a restaurant, or move furniture yourself instead of hiring a company, why are you hiring someone? cus you CANT do it yourself, do u want a bare bones job where they might bang up your stuff or do a professional job where they move everything carefully without breaking it, your money goes a long way, if someone does the later, tip them and tip em nicely
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19746 posts
23161 upvotes
GTA
GoodFellaz wrote: Thanks for agreeing with my post. As i said earlier, some people think the movers pocket all the money, a lot of them dont, they make a small cut., anyways to make a long story short, if someone does an absolutely GREAT job of service yeah why not tip someone, but if u dont want to tip someone, then you can always do the work yourself, like cook a meal yourself instead of a restaurant, or move furniture yourself instead of hiring a company, why are you hiring someone? cus you CANT do it yourself, do u want a bare bones job where they might bang up your stuff or do a professional job where they move everything carefully without breaking it, your money goes a long way, if someone does the later, tip them and tip em nicely
Others have said they make well above minimum wage. If SSJ4 doesn't want to tip, he doesn't have to. They'll just finish the job and leave. If you wanted better service you would tip before they started. Of course, that's just corrupt.