• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2020 5:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6773 posts
2335 upvotes

How much ups do I need?

I have a 1500ups that I bought from the costco deal for around 150. I only run a 918+ NA’s on it. Is it overkill? Should I get something smaller and cheaper instead?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2006
5509 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: I have a 1500ups that I bought from the costco deal for around 150. I only run a 918+ NA’s on it. Is it overkill? Should I get something smaller and cheaper instead?
Way overkill. Why don't you connect your PC, Router, Modem on it as well.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6773 posts
2335 upvotes
killoverme wrote: Way overkill. Why don't you connect your PC, Router, Modem on it as well.
Because it's connected to the other room. The modem isn't mine and I haven't asked if it's ok to plug it in.

What would you recommend instead then?
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2006
5509 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
Well my CP1350PFCLCD (1350VA) UPS gives me about an 45min of runtime for 125Watt NAS/PC. My NAS/PC will shutdown a minute after it recieves the signal that it has no power.

Figure out the wattage of your devices and how much time you want it to run. I assume you won't be doing any file transferring or anything if there is a full blackout, so you will likely not need a lot of runtime.

UPS are great for brown outs and cleaning the power as well.

I wanted a pure sine ups so my UPS is a bit more expensive (you can research the difference).
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
12233 posts
3386 upvotes
a consumer grade UPS is more for brownouts and short outages

no really overkill, but more for convenience sake that you dont have to shutdown everything
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10307 posts
6710 upvotes
killoverme wrote: Way overkill. Why don't you connect your PC, Router, Modem on it as well.
Premature to say overkill when he/she didn't state how long the 918+ is expected to continue functioning for in a power outage situation, nor was there any information provided regarding any graceful shutdown requirement of the 918+.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2006
5509 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: Premature to say overkill when he/she didn't state how long the 918+ is expected to continue functioning for in a power outage situation, nor was there any information provided regarding any graceful shutdown requirement of the 918+.
It's overkill none the less. My second follow up asked about those things and provided some details of what to expect. A graceful shutdown of a 918+ will not take over an hour.

It is overkill for just that machine. But if you use it for a variety of other devices it is nice to have so there is no restarting during brown outs (e.g. a modem/router, as those take some time to boot up or a PC).

You can get something smaller for less than half the price (stepped sine however, which I believe the costco one is as well) if your just powering that one device.

Also to add. I would ask whoever 'modem' that is. that you have a UPS and can you use the UPS for the modem/router and leave your NAS in that room ( I assume your using it as a NAS... if your using it as a USB drive then nevermind...)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 15, 2016
6773 posts
2335 upvotes
Thanks all. Can you recommend a cheaper one that I can get that I can track and is a good deal? I don’t know ups technology and which one is good etc. Preferably good quality thanks.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10307 posts
6710 upvotes
killoverme wrote: It's overkill none the less. My second follow up asked about those things and provided some details of what to expect. A graceful shutdown of a 918+ will not take over an hour.

It is overkill for just that machine. But if you use it for a variety of other devices it is nice to have so there is no restarting during brown outs (e.g. a modem/router, as those take some time to boot up or a PC).

You can get something smaller for less than half the price (stepped sine however, which I believe the costco one is as well) if your just powering that one device.

Also to add. I would ask whoever 'modem' that is. that you have a UPS and can you use the UPS for the modem/router and leave your NAS in that room ( I assume your using it as a NAS... if your using it as a USB drive then nevermind...)
Not every deployment want to initiate a shutdown immediately when there's a power outage (e.g. Some may take a 'wait and see' approach where the shutdown is, say, 30 minutes after power outage).

Yes, you subsequently asked the right questions...but not when "overkill" was prematurely given.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 8, 2006
5509 posts
529 upvotes
Toronto
chatbox wrote: Not every deployment want to initiate a shutdown immediately when there's a power outage (e.g. Some may take a 'wait and see' approach where the shutdown is, say, 30 minutes after power outage).

Yes, you subsequently asked the right questions...but not when "overkill" was prematurely given.
Yes 30 mins is fine. But at 28w 1500VA will run for 3-4 hours. Which is overkill.


This would be fine for you https://www.costco.ca/apc-bn450m-ca-bac ... 44372.html I think it was on sale before though for an extra $10 off I think
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
12233 posts
3386 upvotes
it's 150 bucks not a 1000.... cheaper UPS is already 60+...

may as well just buy it and have a good system
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1762 posts
863 upvotes
Alberta
If you already bought it, why do you want to buy another, just use what you have. Configure your devices to shut down when UPS power drops to only like 10 min runtime left. This allows you to just leave the device running through a power outage without having to worry about it. I work in IT in a large company and we use massive UPSs to run the whole datacenter, and we don't bother shutting down at all unless we drop really low on the UPS, but most of the time the infrequent power outages are resolved before we run out of battery, and that would probably be the case for majority of power interruptions.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2895 posts
2631 upvotes
Montreal
killoverme wrote: Yes 30 mins is fine. But at 28w 1500VA will run for 3-4 hours. Which is overkill.
I would like my router, WiFi, and NAS to be able to continue streaming a movie to my phone during a power failure
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2218 posts
99 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: I have a 1500ups that I bought from the costco deal for around 150. I only run a 918+ NA’s on it. Is it overkill? Should I get something smaller and cheaper instead?
I don't think that's overkill. If you plug in all your computer stuff including router and modem.

Some routers are really expensive nowadays.

I was wondering what ups is worth getting, too.

Also, is it worth replacing a battery of an old ups or is better to just buy a new one?

Top