How much weight can a deck handle?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2021 8:10 pm
[OP]
Oct 16, 2019
63 posts
36 upvotes

How much weight can a deck handle?

We're thinking of getting patio furniture for our deck that already has planters, etc that're heavyish. How much added weigh would the deck be able to handle? The furniture is roughly ~100 kilos. The deck is ~200-300 sq ft or so.
17 replies
Nov 6, 2014
809 posts
1354 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
All depends on design/construction. 2x6 or 2x8 joist. Spacing of joist. Wood deck boards or composite. Deck span and footings. That said, 100Kg is not much and is the equal to roughly 2-3 people. IF the furniture is multiple pieces, you're spreading the load across multiple joists instead of 2. I'd say you're fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1126 posts
513 upvotes
York Region
If your deck was built to code, nothing to worry about.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8173 posts
2806 upvotes
Maple
The deck should be sturdy and carry over few thousands lbs, if built right. It also depends on materials and specs.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16501 posts
18056 upvotes
Oakville
Post a pic of your deck and the support underneath.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13262 posts
7988 upvotes
Markham
100kg which is the same weight as a bigger person [and the weight is more spread out] should be no problem for any deck as long as it's built reasonably well.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5965 posts
6184 upvotes
Toronto
fordmaple wrote: 100Kg is not much and is the equal to roughly 2-3 people.
You must only hang out with jockeys and gymnasts.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4951 posts
1837 upvotes
buckabeer wrote: We're thinking of getting patio furniture for our deck that already has planters, etc that're heavyish. How much added weigh would the deck be able to handle? The furniture is roughly ~100 kilos. The deck is ~200-300 sq ft or so.
Depends on how it was done ... what joists?? what is the distance between the joists? etc
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Feb 7, 2018
351 posts
462 upvotes
Decks built minimally to code on blocks and 2x6 joist should hold roughly 50 lbs/sf as a static load.

Patio furniture is rarely an issue. It’s too many people, huge gazebos, brick fire pits, and crazy planter box configurations that can cause problems if you just barely built it to code.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7392 posts
4664 upvotes
Victoria, BC
fordmaple wrote: That said, 100Kg is not much and is the equal to roughly 2-3 people.
2-3 people? 100Kg is one good sized man (or chunky woman). Maybe 2 very light women.

If OP's deck can't handle 100Kg of furniture then something is very wrong.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16550 posts
13874 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Chickinvic wrote: 2-3 people? 100Kg is one good sized man (or chunky woman). Maybe 2 very light women.

If OP's deck can't handle 100Kg of furniture then something is very wrong.
This

100 Kg = 220 Lbs

Average woman 125 to 150 Lbs
Average man 170 to 200 Lbs

But 220 is far from unheard of

It’s not we are talking a Pro Football Player
Like William Perry “the Fridge” who tipped the scales at 150+ Kgs (335 lbs )

A properly built deck to code, should be able to easily hold 1000+ Lbs

Where people run into deck issues is most often when they decide to add a hot tub on top
Not realizing that water is extremely heavy ... 8.33 Lbs per gallon
You add the hot tub itself, 1000+ Litres of water (500+ gallons )
PLUS the people in the tub
And things add up quickly
For support stress over a relatively small footprint (say 8 feet x 8 feet )
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10214 posts
5440 upvotes
Paris
There is also a BIG difference between live load (people) and dead load (furniture and snow). Those days in south western ontario when we get 14” of snow and then you dont get to shovel it before it rains then freezes again I bet your deck is carrying an additional 2000 pounds plus spread out perfectly. I remember one winter I had about 8” of ice I didnt get to in time when I was away and it stayed for a solid month

Personally i would take 100 kg of patio furniture over one dancing drunk friend at 65kg.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1037 posts
592 upvotes
London, On
Think of a comparable space in your house and how much furniture and stuff you have in a large room and how many people you may put in there on occasion. A properly built deck is going to be similar construction. So as the first reply says, it's about how the deck is built.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5834 posts
4124 upvotes
buckabeer wrote: We're thinking of getting patio furniture for our deck that already has planters, etc that're heavyish. How much added weigh would the deck be able to handle? The furniture is roughly ~100 kilos. The deck is ~200-300 sq ft or so.
Too many factors to take into consideration to answer this on a forum...
fordmaple wrote: All depends on design/construction. 2x6 or 2x8 joist. Spacing of joist. Wood deck boards or composite. Deck span and footings. That said, 100Kg is not much and is the equal to roughly 2-3 people. IF the furniture is multiple pieces, you're spreading the load across multiple joists instead of 2. I'd say you're fine.
I, by myself, weigh a little less than 90 Kg. 100 Kg for 3 people? must be young teens that do not eat junk ;)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16550 posts
13874 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hoob wrote: You must only hang out with jockeys and gymnasts.
Lol, just realized the OPs concerns over the weight of furniture + entertaining his friends on his patio
Might relate to his Username

Big Beer Bellies = Heavy Dudes
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5834 posts
4124 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Lol, just realized the OPs concerns over the weight of furniture + entertaining his friends on his patio
Might relate to his Username

Big Beer Bellies = Heavy Dudes
Heavyer than 100 Kg for 3 Beer bellies dude for sure 🤣
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6399 posts
2872 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I like looking at elevator ratings worldwide and calculate the average weight of a standard person (of course there is probably a safety margin that is not stated). A lot of these limits must be grandfathered in for older units as the weights don't reflect reality. Most of equipment is geared for the U.S. where the average self-reported weight of an adult is 181 lbs (~82 Kg).
hoob wrote: You must only hang out with jockeys and gymnasts.
They might be light in total weight but can be incredibly dense (as in weight/volume) due to muscle and bone. Beer-belly dudes may be heavy but are less dense in comparison.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20672 posts
8846 upvotes
Toronto
If a deck could not hold 100 kg, then it would not be able to hold its own weight without distortion.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii