• Feb 18th, 2020 11:46 am
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
67 upvotes

How much weight can I tow?

I have Dodge ram with class 3 hitch rated at 5000 lbs.
I want to tow a mini excavator plus trailer weighing 7000 lbs. The drive is about an hour and is basically a one time thing. Is this safe?
57 replies
Jul 5, 2004
24372 posts
3836 upvotes
No. Also, depending on the trailer and how the mini-ex is loaded, you may also be over on the tongue weight too. It's not safe

I do admit; however, that stories of hitches being torn off a vehicle are rare. I spend time on RV forums and it's just not something I read about, despite all the people who overload their vehicles. With that said, the official answer has to be that it's not safe because it's not rated for that amount of weight. Will it likely tear off your truck? Probably not, but the possibility is there for sure, and if it does, it could be catastrophic to drivers around you
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3017 posts
3134 upvotes
GTA
Your question is impossible to answer because you gave no details about the truck. A Ram can tow anywhere between 5000 and 20,000 lbs.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3017 posts
3134 upvotes
GTA
Agreed. That's the limiting factor regardless of how much the truck is rated for.
Jul 27, 2006
919 posts
500 upvotes
Moncton
Seems odd to put a hitch rated for only 5000 lb on a Ram truck.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7659 posts
2260 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote: Seems odd to put a hitch rated for only 5000 lb on a Ram truck.
Ya.....

I recall in 2010 when I bought a ram brand new, the class IV hitch was a $500 option, or part of a larger "tow package"
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31009 posts
16760 upvotes
Ottawa
https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/learni ... ng-classes

Class III

Class III hitches are weight carrying (WC) and also are weight distributing (WD) depending on the vehicle and hitch specifications.
Not all Class III hitches are rated to be both. See the specific hitch for that information.
Class III hitches used as weight carrying are rated up to 6000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 600 lbs.
Class III hitches used for weight distributing are rated up to 10,000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 1000 lbs.
A Class III hitch usually has a 2" square receiver opening.
A higher class drawbar does not increase the towing capacity of the hitch. To use this class of hitch for weight distribution requires a weight distribution system.
Class III hitches attach to the vehicle frame only.
Jul 5, 2004
24372 posts
3836 upvotes
oIIIIIo wrote: Seems odd to put a hitch rated for only 5000 lb on a Ram truck.
Likely put on after it was purchased.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
136 posts
67 upvotes
The hitch is factory installed and owner manual says it is rated 5000 lbs. The truck can pull a trailer weighing 6500 to 7500 lbs depending on axle ratio. I don't know my axle ratio and trailer weight is not on door or glove box. 6500 is close enough for me.
There seems to be a brake controller. I never towed anything so want practical answer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7613 posts
3976 upvotes
Kootenays
Carcross wrote: The hitch is factory installed and owner manual says it is rated 5000 lbs. The truck can pull a trailer weighing 6500 to 7500 lbs depending on axle ratio. I don't know my axle ratio and trailer weight is not on door or glove box. 6500 is close enough for me.
There seems to be a brake controller. I never towed anything so want practical answer.
Sounds more like you want the answer you're looking for. Your manual and most of the posters above have told you that no, it's not safe.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14803 posts
4074 upvotes
London
Carcross wrote: The hitch is factory installed and owner manual says it is rated 5000 lbs. The truck can pull a trailer weighing 6500 to 7500 lbs depending on axle ratio. I don't know my axle ratio and trailer weight is not on door or glove box. 6500 is close enough for me.
Rent/ borrow a truck that is set up to tow the load or get the equipment delivered to your job site.

An inexperienced driver pulling an overweight trailer is an invitation for problems (jackknife and/or roll over).

I remember seeing a pickup pulling a bobcat on a trailer up the interstate . As he passed a fedex double tractor trailer truck, the shift in the wind caused the bobcat trailer to wildly oscillate all over the lane. He eventually lost control, bobcat trailer jackknifed and the pulled the pickup into the ditch where everything rolled over

bobcat

Last edited by l69norm on Feb 14th, 2020 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
31009 posts
16760 upvotes
Ottawa
l69norm wrote: Rent/ borrow a truck that is set up to tow the load or get the equipment delivered to your job site.

An inexperienced driver pulling an overweight trailer is an invitation for problems (jackknife and/or roll over).

I remember seeing a pickup pulling a bobcat on a trailer up the interstate . As he passed a fedex double tractor trailer truck, the shift in the wind caused the bobcat trailer to wildly oscillate all over the lane. He eventually lost control, bobcat trailer jackknifed and the pulled the pickup into the ditch where everything rolled rolled into the ditch
Modern trucks and SUVs have anti-sway assistance... works very well.