• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2020 4:08 pm
[OP]
Nov 29, 2015
357 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON

How much would this backyard reno cost?

Hi folks. Just trying to see examples of backyard renovations and stumbled across this. We do have a set budget but trying to gauge how much would something like this cost?

Typically we are looking for an entertainment / BBQ area. From the photo it seems there is a bar right underneath the gazebo back.

I like the concrete and the usage of stones as for steps. Also there is a solid foundation fence on both sides.
DSC03233.jpg
23 replies
[OP]
Nov 29, 2015
357 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
smitty9999 wrote: Perfect for water drainage
Hi Smitty could you elaborate? Would there be any concerns with this layout
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12126 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
i think that was sarcasm
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
Feb 11, 2018
609 posts
556 upvotes
You didn't provide a pic of what YOUR backyard currently looks like. So it makes providing an estimate more challenging. I would guess between $30K and $60K???
"God is light and Satan is the necessary darkness or shadow to set it off, without which pure light would be invisible and incomprehensible" - E. Levi
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16281 posts
6422 upvotes
iceman2015 wrote: Hi Smitty could you elaborate? Would there be any concerns with this layout
There are issues with creating run-off versus having the water absorbed and put back into the groundwater, and that's likely what they are referring to. Additionally because you will not absorb water you would have to "funnel' it elsewhere, which could very well be dumping it on all your neighbours.

This is a read that covers it: https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/04/0 ... ain-flood/
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1006 posts
253 upvotes
Stone steps sound great but not so much when you got drunk people going up and down. Plus they add a lot to the cost. Get some quotes from companies in your area.

In the winter you'll have to put a lot of your patio stuff away. Make sure you have storage space or you might have to build a shed and that will take up space in your backyard.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
1464 posts
350 upvotes
Mississauga
How big is the area? Are u using concrete, stone or pavers? Are u using grass, trees , plants? U need to provide more info. A picture of your backyard would help. That backyard pic u provided is probably in the 45k to 60k range.
"With today's sheep mentality sometimes I feel like going to a wall and just bang my head"
[OP]
Nov 29, 2015
357 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks everyone. Right now, we are in the process of starting to look for a detached home with a large backyard as we are currently in a 2 bedroom condo. We always wanted an outdoor space to entertain our guests/family so trying to see some examples online and if it is even worth putting this much effort into the property once we find one to our liking.

In your opinion or experience, would something like this boost the value of the property if we were to put this much effort into the backyard? We understand to focus on the inside of the home for better re-sale value but how many of you would make this type of investment.

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1033 posts
506 upvotes
GTA
Buy something and renovate / landscape it because you like it. Don't worry about better resale value before you even look at a house.

Personally, I would never buy a house with no grass / lawn / trees / flowers in the yard.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3092 posts
922 upvotes
If you get a backyard like that, can I be your friend?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7187 posts
2112 upvotes
Maple
iceman2015 wrote: Thanks everyone. Right now, we are in the process of starting to look for a detached home with a large backyard as we are currently in a 2 bedroom condo. We always wanted an outdoor space to entertain our guests/family so trying to see some examples online and if it is even worth putting this much effort into the property once we find one to our liking.

In your opinion or experience, would something like this boost the value of the property if we were to put this much effort into the backyard? We understand to focus on the inside of the home for better re-sale value but how many of you would make this type of investment.

Thanks,
It may boost some but not much. It may turn off some potential buyers due to up-keep for short summer. Best attract boost are kitchen, master ensuite, finished basement (good layout). Backyard, garden are hit-miss.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
7577 posts
3645 upvotes
Paris
My friends dumped over $50k into their backyard and did way less than what this would take. The gazebo roof is over the fence on both sides and there is a zero chance you would be allowed to do that part at least.

I would say from the neighbour on the left to this centre picture is well over $100k

Edit: upon a closer look, I doubt this would even be possible after the fences go up without hitting 150-175k. Looks like a full backyard foundation.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2852 posts
1051 upvotes
I would ballpark it at between 100k and 200k, depending on where you live in Ontario.

Or you could simply visit the property at 392 Nairn Avenue and ask the owners how much, lol
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!