Home & Garden

how much would a new bed be / where from ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2015 4:15 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
250 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

how much would a new bed be / where from ?

I'm moving soon and will be buying a new bed. In the last 2 places I've been in the bed was provided so I've never really had to buy one.

How much is this going to cost me? I'd really like to be under $400 all in. In fact I'd preferably like to just get the mattress first and then the non-essentials ie whatever goes under it, some months later.

I've looked it up online but that doesnt really help me. I'll always find *something* in any price range I choose, but that doesnt really say much about quality etc. Plus I dont even know if I'm looking in the right places. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!
Dan
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1637 posts
378 upvotes
Vancouver
Pick something up from IKEA. You can't go wrong.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5159 posts
692 upvotes
South of Ottawa
You can't buy a mattress online...you have to actually go into a store and lay down on it. Don't cheap out on it, you'll regret it in a couple years.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7593 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
+1 on Ikea.. will probably be cheaper in August with back to school sales though.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1505 posts
744 upvotes
ikea bed + Costco mattress.
Mar 16, 2008
225 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
You really have to go try out each bed as it depends on your comfort level. That being said, i've seen some ok ones at that price range at Sears Outlet and Costco.
[OP]
Sep 8, 2006
250 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
PS - I do have back pain, that might be relevant to mention.
PPS - do we get to try out the mattresses at Ikea?

It seems like Ikea was a clear winner here, and I've seen on their website they provide a 90 day warranty which is real good of them. I've seen a number of good choices there but its hard to decide which ones are better. I'm seeing my chiro today so I'll ask him but he's not a helpful guy so I dont anticipate much help.

It seems to two main categories (within my budget) are Foam Mattresses and Spring Mattresses.

Foam mattresses - "Foam moulds itself to your body and provides firm support while also being soft and resilient."

Spring mattresses - come in spring coil and active-spring coil.

It seems from this description that foam is the way to go but I wonder if that's just marketing speak.

Otherwise I'm seeing these options (and others similar). I dont expect someone to go to the trouble of making my mind up for me but I wonder if anyone's used any of these or something similar?

JÖMNA
Spring mattress, medium gray
$79.99
Comfort: Firm.

MOSHULT
Foam mattress, firm, white
$149.00
Roll packed mattress. Regains its shape in 3-4 days. To be completed with a slatted bed base, a box spring or foundation.

SULTAN HAVBERG
Spring mattress, light gray
$169.00
Comfort: Firm.

SULTAN HANSBO
Memory foam pillowtop mattress, white, light gray
$249.00
Recognized by the Canadian Physiotherapy Association as a mattress that is designed to support the spine in a neutral position while sleeping.

Thanks a lot!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)