• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 7:41 am
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
134 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

How much would this renovation cost?

The renovation would be for a 620sqft condo.
I know it can really vary, but was wondering what I should expect including appliances, labour, flooring, cabinets etc.
Possibly also might need an interior designer.

Any ideas on how much covering the concrete ceiling with drywall would be for ~600sqft?

From this:

To this:
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
19373 posts
17841 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Personally would avoid touching the ceiling since it is a soft loft and I figure buyers interested in this condo like the concrete ceilings. You also lose some height. I've seen people paint the ceilings. Doesn't look bad.

As far as that reno... Wild guess $55K.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
134 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
JayLove06 wrote: Personally would avoid touching the ceiling since it is a soft loft and I figure buyers interested in this condo like the concrete ceilings. You also lose some height. I've seen people paint the ceilings. Doesn't look bad.
That makes sense. Depending on the design project might keep the ceiling as is. Drywall would just make it easier to have a nice lighting project.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1669 posts
417 upvotes
Vancouver
50k. Bathroom alone will cost 10k if not more depending on materials chosen.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6443 posts
6982 upvotes
Toronto
Demo for the buildings outside the kitchen windows is going to be a few mega millions.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2018
1126 posts
1924 upvotes
Are you just doing kitchen and bathroom?

Kitchen would be 30k, bathroom 15k. Add extra for taxes, incidentals, and overcharges that come with doing work in a condo I’d say most people are correct here with the 50k range.

Ps you’re comparing that unit on George St next to the shelter vs the new claridge build on Rideau - also note that you don’t want to overbuild your unit relative to the rest of the building because buyers won’t pay that difference at resale.
[OP]
Aug 13, 2015
134 posts
70 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
wiab89 wrote: Are you just doing kitchen and bathroom?

Kitchen would be 30k, bathroom 15k. Add extra for taxes, incidentals, and overcharges that come with doing work in a condo I’d say most people are correct here with the 50k range.

Ps you’re comparing that unit on George St next to the shelter vs the new claridge build on Rideau - also note that you don’t want to overbuild your unit relative to the rest of the building because buyers won’t pay that difference at resale.
Yes! That was the comparison, although they are both on George St right in front of each other, and the bathroom picture is not from that building.

It would be kitchen + bathroom + living room.

With a big difference in price, I was trying to decide if it is worth it buying resale, upgrading to personal taste and still staying below price of the new one (and below condo fees as well). But like you said, there's prons and cons.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12372 posts
11282 upvotes
saisoj wrote: Yes! That was the comparison, although they are both on George St right in front of each other, and the bathroom picture is not from that building.

It would be kitchen + bathroom + living room.

With a big difference in price, I was trying to decide if it is worth it buying resale, upgrading to personal taste and still staying below price of the new one (and below condo fees as well). But like you said, there's prons and cons.
if your only going to live there for a few years dont bother with the reno not worth it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37666 posts
5415 upvotes
Winnipeg
Why are you renovating it? It looks fine to me.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Jan 27, 2018
534 posts
523 upvotes
$55k would be bare minimum required and will possibly go into $60k to $65k more likely...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)