Home & Garden

How much are you saving with TOU rates?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2019 10:53 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2213 posts
1619 upvotes

How much are you saving with TOU rates?

Just got my July 31st bill and quite amazed how cheap it is as most of my use is off peak.

I do run the fan min 20mins per hour but other than that, A/C is set at 24.5 during day and 21.5 at night for a 2500 sqft detached

54 kwh @ peak 0.134 = $7.22 (7.2% time)
76 kwh @ midpeak 0.094 = $7.13 (10.1% of time)
618 kwh @ off peak =$40.21 (82.7% of time)

Delivery of $39

Anyone have higher % during off peak?
11 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
3376 posts
533 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Just got my July 31st bill and quite amazed how cheap it is as most of my use is off peak.

I do run the fan min 20mins per hour but other than that, A/C is set at 24.5 during day and 21.5 at night for a 2500 sqft detached

54 kwh @ peak 0.134 = $7.22 (7.2% time)
76 kwh @ midpeak 0.094 = $7.13 (10.1% of time)
618 kwh @ off peak =$40.21 (82.7% of time)

Delivery of $39

Anyone have higher % during off peak?
I stopped paying attention nowadays. It is what it is.
Bills or saving I don’t pay attention but the AC noise is just killing me. Some of old farts AC are also old and outside units makes loude noise.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2213 posts
1619 upvotes
callernamet wrote: I stopped paying attention nowadays. It is what it is.
Bills or saving I don’t pay attention but the AC noise is just killing me. Some of old farts AC are also old and outside units makes loude noise.
You mean the ac outside? Before my smart thermostat and. He j on my phone, I have to go-to closest window to check if the AC was running and not just fan. I'm paranoid about my ac breaking down lol
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2276 posts
794 upvotes
Mississauga
Hydro is cheaper than it was about 3 years ago. Current midpeak rate was not too far from 2016 offpeak. Enersouece rates were 8.7/13.2/18.0¢ compared to today's 6.5/9.4/13.4¢.

I run my fan non-stop from 3PM to 7AM. A/C is set at 23.5C during day and 21.5C at night which lowers even further to 21C at 2AM. House is a 1850 sqft detached.

52.015 kWh @ onpeak 0.134¢ = $6.97 (10% time)
84.788 kWh @ midpeak 0.094¢ = $7.97 (16% of time)
388.197 kWh @ offpeak 0.065¢ =$25.23 (74% of time)

Wife and I both work from home so need the house comfortable through most of the day without the A/C running. On mild days my A/C runs only 4hrs per day, on heat extreme days it bumps up to about 8hrs.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19296 posts
7413 upvotes
Toronto
I run my furnace fan 24/7. Plus there are plenty of electronics running all day. I won't conserve on this base load. Energy is an inelastic demand item in my home. It is consumed when needed. Anything else is like asking a smoker not to light up after meal. BTW, laundry is done on weekends only because it is when everyone has time to do it, otherwise weekday evenings.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2213 posts
1619 upvotes
will888 wrote: I run my furnace fan 24/7. Plus there are plenty of electronics running all day. I won't conserve on this base load. Energy is an inelastic demand item in my home. It is consumed when needed. Anything else is like asking a smoker not to light up after meal. BTW, laundry is done on weekends only because it is when everyone has time to do it, otherwise weekday evenings.
Is it because it's just too cheap regardless of time of use rates? Sure there's baseload and I don't think anybody is unplugging items to save on "phantom loads", but simple things like having a smart thermostat can reduce consumption during peak while not affecting comfort .
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2378 posts
311 upvotes
damn, ours is so much higher and we only use the air con on really hot/humid days for month of July, everything we have is high efficiency.

Summer on-peak 208.43kWh @ $0.134 $27.93
Summer Mid-Peak 188.58 kWh @ $0.094 $17.73
Summer Off-Peak 603.48 kWh @ $0.065 $39.23
Delivery $43.94
Regulatory $4.29

Total $133.12
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2007
4339 posts
701 upvotes
Waterloo
StatsGuy wrote: Just got my July 31st bill and quite amazed how cheap it is as most of my use is off peak.

I do run the fan min 20mins per hour but other than that, A/C is set at 24.5 during day and 21.5 at night for a 2500 sqft detached

54 kwh @ peak 0.134 = $7.22 (7.2% time)
76 kwh @ midpeak 0.094 = $7.13 (10.1% of time)
618 kwh @ off peak =$40.21 (82.7% of time)

Delivery of $39

Anyone have higher % during off peak?
You say you're saving money, but you didn't provide a comparative number?
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
8237 posts
1838 upvotes
Ontario
Doesn’t help me since I work from home most days and I like the house cooler. Tracking my usage online my usage curve is right in line with average daily temperatures.

It doesn’t really matter IMO. I have neighbours that are “elite” energy savers and the total bill difference is not that great, at least nominal enough to not warrant a change in behaviour. When you look at “compare with neighbours” online, I’m usually in the red and get those judgmental mailers of how much worse I am than people around me. Lol

I don’t waste for the joy of wasting, and I also don’t live in the dark or don’t run something to save money and compromise comfort. If I need it, I use it, turn it on, etc. I’ve never discarded an item to purchase a new energy efficient model, but I will consider energy efficiency if I have to replace it, etc.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19296 posts
7413 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: Is it because it's just too cheap regardless of time of use rates? Sure there's baseload and I don't think anybody is unplugging items to save on "phantom loads", but simple things like having a smart thermostat can reduce consumption during peak while not affecting comfort .
My two largest loads are AC and laundry. As mentioned, doing the laundry is guaranteed to be off peak because nobody is home during the day to be doing laundry. For AC, nobody is home during the day and so the temperature is set a couple of degrees higher. Interestingly, the need for AC is actually not during the peak hours anyway. There is a lag in the indoor temperature going up by about 4-5 hours. The big demand for AC starts around 5pm. Even if I did not turn down the temperature, I would only have large AC usage for about 2 hours of on peak time. That is the extent of my endeavor to move usage off the peak hours. Overall, I would characterize my electricity usage as "on a as needed basis".
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2276 posts
794 upvotes
Mississauga
onlineharvest wrote: Doesn’t help me since I work from home most days and I like the house cooler. Tracking my usage online my usage curve is right in line with average daily temperatures.

It doesn’t really matter IMO. I have neighbours that are “elite” energy savers and the total bill difference is not that great, at least nominal enough to not warrant a change in behaviour. When you look at “compare with neighbours” online, I’m usually in the red and get those judgmental mailers of how much worse I am than people around me. Lol

I don’t waste for the joy of wasting, and I also don’t live in the dark or don’t run something to save money and compromise comfort. If I need it, I use it, turn it on, etc. I’ve never discarded an item to purchase a new energy efficient model, but I will consider energy efficiency if I have to replace it, etc.
A change in behavior is not needed. Just replacement to better efficient appliances when they need replacing.

When I replaced my 20 yr old washer, 20 yr old dryer(changed to gas), windows, A/C and even TV (60" lcd to 65 led), it all helped to drive down the overall hydro consumption. The cost reduction was minimal on my bill but the savings did not spur the need to replace the failing appliances.

We really have not changed our consumption behavior in that we still use electricity when we need to. We both work from home in front of computers and do not sit in the dark or hot room. The A/C drops the house to 21C every night. Our dishwasher runs almost every evening but today without a second thought my wife started the dishwasher at 8:30AM(midpeak) because we forgot to after last night's dinner. My wife uses the treadmill during her lunch time (onpeak) and we also do laundry various times during the day which was the main reason we didn't put in another electric dryer. Our gas dryer takes care of all our drying need as we not not hang clothes to dry even on the hottest summer day. My 7 yr old who is on summer break chills in front of the 65" TV between 11:30AM to 1PM (onpeak) because that is when she gets her break from studying. My 3 yr old leaves the TV on Paw Patrol every day from 5:30PM to 7PM(mid-peak)

Basically we could do better cutting down our usage even more but is not necessary a stress to be a low energy consumer as we are in the top 10-15%. Our low daily consumption is now around 11kWh; highest at 24kWh; and unoccupied home is 6kWh even though we do not turn off appliances when away.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
3376 posts
533 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: You mean the ac outside? Before my smart thermostat and. He j on my phone, I have to go-to closest window to check if the AC was running and not just fan. I'm paranoid about my ac breaking down lol
sorry for confusion my bad. It is this unit outside makes so much noise. From both neighbors on side.

Image
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.

Top