Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2010 posts
1267 upvotes
Newmarket, ON

How is my progress?

I just benched 200 pounds, after bench pressing for half a year. Is that good progress, or is it slow? What is a reasonable amount of time to achieve a 200 lbs bench? How long did it take you? Also what is a reasonable amount of time to do 300?
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2438 posts
221 upvotes
Brampton
What's your weight? Can't really give an answer with considering that.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2011
3515 posts
1866 upvotes
Ontario
...terrible progress if you started benching at 195lbs!

Context is everything...hebs
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1874 posts
461 upvotes
Not to be critical, but I think that's below average progress. I think most 200 lb men can bench at least 150 without training. If that's true, you would have increased your bench press by a maximum of 50 lbs over the course of 6 months. Anecdotally. I think most beginners can increase their bench press by more than 10 lbs per month on average over their first 6 months.

Getting to 300 is a different story, it could take you years if you ever reach it.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13570 posts
8530 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Ahhh it's ok. At least you're still in the gym.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2010 posts
1267 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
eiad77 wrote: Not to be critical, but I think that's below average progress. I think most 200 lb men can bench at least 150 without training. If that's true, you would have increased your bench press by a maximum of 50 lbs over the course of 6 months. Anecdotally. I think most beginners can increase their bench press by more than 10 lbs per month on average over their first 6 months.

Getting to 300 is a different story, it could take you years if you ever reach it.
Yeah that's what I'm worried about, I'm not progressing as fast as I should. I started at 135, got up to 175 very quickly but it took me the last few months to reach 200. I do think you're wrong about average 200 lbs guys benching 150 untrained, most probably can't, or at best they could manage 1 half-rep.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2010 posts
1267 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Ahhh it's ok. At least you're still in the gym.
I bench at home, gyms are too expensive. How much can you bench?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1874 posts
461 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote:
eiad77 wrote: Not to be critical, but I think that's below average progress. I think most 200 lb men can bench at least 150 without training. If that's true, you would have increased your bench press by a maximum of 50 lbs over the course of 6 months. Anecdotally. I think most beginners can increase their bench press by more than 10 lbs per month on average over their first 6 months.

Yeah that's what I'm worried about, I'm not progressing as fast as I should. I started at 135, got up to 175 very quickly but it took me the last few months to reach 200. I do think you're wrong about average 200 lbs guys benching 150 untrained, most probably can't, or at best they could manage 1 half-rep.
Actually, I think you are right, According to this link, an untrained male should bench 135. I think your progress is actually not bad then. It's pretty normal to have progress slow after the first first months.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13570 posts
8530 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
230lbs, I weight 170lbs.
BeapChastard wrote:
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Ahhh it's ok. At least you're still in the gym.
I bench at home, gyms are too expensive. How much can you bench?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6399 posts
1210 upvotes
eiad77 wrote:
BeapChastard wrote:

Actually, I think you are right, According to this link, an untrained male should bench 135. I think your progress is actually not bad then. It's pretty normal to have progress slow after the first first months.
Also, form is part of the context. From the link:

"In order for these standards to apply, the bar must make contact with the chest above the bottom of the sternum with a momentary pause and be pressed to full elbow extension."

I don't know what it is but so many people at my gym (every gym, I guess) just do half reps and then continue to load the bar even more. Why???
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8284 posts
2882 upvotes
Mississauga
OP, I recommend switching to dumbbell bench presses to work other muscles that don't get worked when you're doing a regular single bar bench press.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1358 posts
407 upvotes
Calgary
kenchau wrote: OP, I recommend switching to dumbbell bench presses to work other muscles that don't get worked when you're doing a regular single bar bench press.
Not needed depending ln how his program is built.

If you want a bigger bench, don't neglect your back (rows help), floor presses are a great one to help build a bigger bench.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2010 posts
1267 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
How is the back involved in the bench? I thought the bench just worked the chest and a little bit the triceps.