• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2019 2:00 pm
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
822 posts
782 upvotes
Toronto

How to navigate Telus with new plans and device balances

I'm with Telus, and would like to keep this conversation about how existing or new Telus customers can best navigate all the new changes.

I know this isn't a new topic, and all the big telecom companies have been changing it up too. If there's a topic that's already been to death, please let me know, and we can drop this one.

I ask because I'm looking for a new phone. And like I said, I'm with Telus. So now I need to relearn how to get the best bang for my buck.

After doing the online chat for a while, this is the best I understand it right now:
There's only a few different types of plans now. Peace of Mind, or Simple Share. Basically.
And the Device Balance (ie "early cancellation balance") has been substituted with Easy Payment. Essentially spreading the retail cost of the phone over 24 months.

So you have a plan amount, and a device amount on your bill now. Meant to bring you "lower plan costs". I don't know yet if this is any better.

The biggest change is that it comes across as paying for phones at retail rates even a year or two after release.

When it comes to phones themselves, the only real chance of saving money is when they show a specific "Smartphone Discount".
Example:
iPhone 7 (32gb)
Here's how it all breaks down (copied from their site)
Retail Price $650
Smartphone discount -$650
Total savings -$650
Device repayment amount $0
Due today $0
Due monthly $0

So if you want a Smart Share or Peace of Mind plan, you can get a free iPhone 7 (32gb).

But most other devices either don't give a "Smartphone Discount", or it's really small.
So the best way to get a new device is to find a good discount?

As for the plan, I guess it all depends on what you have now. I have a plan with 12GB shareable data. But for me, it's actually cheaper to change to the new plans for my wife and I, and get the Share 10 each. Two people get a $5 discount each, and that brings me just below my monthly bill now. The real deal breaker is whether I need to now account for a device cost every month.

Has this been your experience with the new pricing structure for devices and plans?