Automotive

How to negotiate after you've put a deposit down on a car?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2019 10:45 pm
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
213 posts
163 upvotes

How to negotiate after you've put a deposit down on a car?

I'm putting a deposit down on a car and I would like to negotiate (a bit) with the dealer prior to taking ownership. Can I do this? Has anyone who has done this before have any tips?

THANKS!
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7030 posts
3214 upvotes
Kootenays
With a deposit, you've agreed to buy a car at the price in the agreement, subject to losing your deposit if you don't complete the sale. You can't negotiate after you've paid your deposit.
Jan 1, 2017
133 posts
154 upvotes
Depends on if your deposit is refundable or not; if it is, you still have "some" negotiating power; if it's non-refundable ... I don't think you understand the concept of deposits lol
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4170 posts
1808 upvotes
Toronto
Go see another dealer and bring their quote, if cheaper, with you to the 1st dealer along with the deposit and see if they will drop price further.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2005 posts
1076 upvotes
Why would you put a deposit down on a car, unless the specific model legitimately is in shortage?

Having said that, lots of times the dealers will try to tack on extras like PDI that aren't properly disclosed up-front. PDI is basically a scam fee, as are plenty of other fees. So a negotiating strategy can simply be to exclude such fees from what you'll pay.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7569 posts
1974 upvotes
7865875 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 1:58 pm
I'm putting a deposit down on a car and I would like to negotiate (a bit) with the dealer prior to taking ownership. Can I do this? Has anyone who has done this before have any tips?

THANKS!
You negotiate prior to agreeing to a deal not after. Unless I'm missing something seems obvious
Last edited by blexann on Mar 17th, 2019 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
24051 posts
9008 upvotes
Toronto
you like to work backwards when buying car ?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1761 posts
1071 upvotes
burnt69 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2019 3:03 pm
Why would you put a deposit down on a car, unless the specific model legitimately is in shortage?

Having said that, lots of times the dealers will try to tack on extras like PDI that aren't properly disclosed up-front. PDI is basically a scam fee, as are plenty of other fees. So a negotiating strategy can simply be to exclude such fees from what you'll pay.
You can get out of most fees but in most cases a PDI and delivery fee is all together and can't be negotiated.
Sep 27, 2015
248 posts
76 upvotes
Pickering, ON
dont put a deposit if you still want to negotiate
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
2872 posts
1663 upvotes
GTA
You can negotiate after you pick the car up as well. I'm sure dealer will offer you great deal on buyback Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1761 posts
1071 upvotes
You aren't in a position to negotiate if you can't walk away from the deal.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4838 posts
2148 upvotes
Toronto
I like to skydive like the op buys cars.

I jump, then look for a parachute to put on, has worked out for me a few times.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1321 posts
1033 upvotes
Toronto
100% depends on the dealer... Every one is different.

Some will tell you tough bananas - take the deal or lose your deposit.

Some will negotiate further after some resistance rather than losing the deal and having to deal with your pursuit of your deposit.

Some will tell you they'll both a) not negotiate with you and b) they'll take you to court if you don't pick up your car .. deposit be damned.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!