Computers & Electronics

How NOT To Build A PC, Courtesy Of The Verge

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2018 10:43 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5029 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal

How NOT To Build A PC, Courtesy Of The Verge

The Verge posted a video on how to build a PC. You will find it here:

EDIT: The Verge has now taken down the video.

This reaction to it, says it all:



There are several other reactions. But essentially The Verge did a horrible PC Build and the community is flocking to take it down. It is spreading a ton of misinformation. Some issues were too much thermal paste, calling zip ties tweezers, not know what the rubber pads are for the PSU saying they are to prevent shorting out (they are to prevent vibration), and so much more. In some of the shots of the build in the video, screws are even missing.

It is hilariously bad, but people watching it for the first time for a build might not know better.

What are your thoughts?
Do you think the video should be removed? The Verge so far has disabled comments.
Do you think it is OK for a large presence like The Verge to post something like this?

Annnnd Go!
Last edited by MrEmoji on Sep 17th, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5029 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal
Exp315 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:47 am
:rolleyes:

“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone"

Using a few wrong terms and leaving out a couple of screws seems pretty trivial. I'm as careful as I can be when I build a PC, but I wouldn't want people making a video and critiquing it in detail. I've blown up a few boards and power supplies in my time with careless mistakes. :)
If it were only a few wrong terms ...sure. But this is a how-to video by a large presence. Spreading misinformation that can do some harm, while other parts are laughable. That thermal paste was so cringe-worthy. He practically used the whole darn tube lol The guy actually ruined the cooler by screwing into it too far.

I really thought the video was made to troll or was a parody video due to how bad it was.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3033 posts
2053 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:58 am
... while other parts are laughable
The critique was funny, and I guess public video postings by outfits like The Verge are fair game, but still - I cringe to think of someone putting the harsh spotlight glare on one of my builds like that!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5029 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal
Exp315 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:13 am
The critique was funny, and I guess public video postings by outfits like The Verge are fair game, but still - I cringe to think of someone putting the harsh spotlight glare on one of my builds like that!
I think it is different though. Doing your own build, versus demonstrating how to do a build are different things. If you said, look, guys, here is how I built this computer. And you learn from it, it is all good. Versus, look guys, here is a lot of misinformation you should trust. Oh, by the way, I don't care if you say it is wrong, I will just turn off the comments and be ignorant to everything wrong with the video. you should just trust me, kk.

Big difference between the two. I do feel bad for the guy in the video though. He will go down forever as the guy who...well...insert any of the crazy things he said/did in the video lol. He mentioned on Twitter that the Verge would not let him do a reshoot or correct anything. You can kind of tell he messed a few lines up. I am guessing the whole thing was rushed.

I don't really fault the guy in the video. It is the producing team's fault for pushing it and not allowing correction. Everyone makes mistakes.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2012
1237 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
Reaction video is hilarious. I stopped when he said the video card is installed depending on the other components. "I will just install on the top one so I don't cover the SSD's, I just think it looks nice"

OMG

People watch this and will start installing their 1080 ti into the bottom PCIe slot running at x4 and is deactivated if you install a m.2 SSD 🤣
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
3352 posts
1216 upvotes
he forgot to screw in 1 of the 4 screws for the cpu heatsink, but I guess that doesn't really matter when he has about 3-4x more thermal paste than recommended, so it's going to get hot even with the heatsink tightened properly.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 1, 2010
1356 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
Haha, I seen this a few days back. They got burned so hard, first they disabled the comments because of all the negative feedback of how he was doing things wrong and it was a total amateur build, which could screw up a 1st timer following this video. Then they disabled the like/dislike ratio when the dislikes almost 3 to 1 were in the negative, it was hilarious. That POS video should be removed, but yea all the critiques its not even funny.

PCI-e x16 card on that slot "because it looks nice" lmao, the thermal paste was a good one. At least remove the one off the cooler you douche, you don't know what kind they are mixing. Two different kinds of thermal compound, mixing together and the fact that he put so much is definitely going to cause problems. Man just taking his quotes:
Pay close attention to the brace that goes on the back of the computer
Hey buddy ... That's called an I/O Shield. Also, is he really using a swiss army knife to install the motherboard screws?


The RAM running in single channel mode was so cringe. Very dumb. Read the manual, whats the point of a dual channel kit then? If installing the modules in DIMMS A_1 A_2, its usually A_1, B_1, A_2 and B_2 ... wow so cringe.
I chose Corsair's 16 gigabyte Vengance LED RAM for two main reasons; one it has LED's and we do like lights in our gaming desktops. Secondly it's pretty fast Ram, it's 2,666MHz I believe, so i'ts pretty fast and this motherboard supports that speed which is most important.
It obviously can't be a gaming PC without RGB all over it... And 2666 ram isn't very fast.
I chose this format of solid state drive so that I could put it into the motherboard without having to worry about extra wires
Yes, that's the benefit of an M.2 NVME SSD... No wires.
Now which lane you choose [PCIe slot for GPU] depends entirely on what other parts you are going to put in your system. I'm just gonna pick the top one because the SSD is on the bottom and I don't want to cover it
No, it depends on which slots are PCIe vs PCI, and which one has the most PCI lanes... Not whether or not it will cover your SSD. I watched it to the end, but after just catching these few mistakes, at this point, I had to stop from all the dumb.

Did they randomly point and choose cast some random guy from the street and just assume that he was a computer genius? I do feel bad for the dude. The Verge made him a living MEME of how not to make a custom computer in 2018.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2003
3423 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't understand what he was doing to the bottom of the CPU before installing it :S
MAIN:2600K-4.5Ghz|P8P67 PRO|16GB DDR31600|GTX1060 6GB OC|240GB SSD|1TB|2TB|Creative SB XFi|BD-RW|2x 24" LCD
HT:Athlon 5350|4GB DDR3
SERVER:i3 3240|8GB DDR3|320GB|3x2TB
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29089 posts
4206 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I stopped watching and lost all respect for The Verge

They lost me when they said you need a swiss army knife (as a screw driver). I feel bad, they can't even afford to use proper tools.

A rubber wrist band for grounding? Really? Where is it grounded to?
Last edited by Gee on Sep 17th, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 1, 2010
1356 posts
591 upvotes
GTA
In all seriousness that video should be flagged and removed, because truth be told as Lyle said, some amateur could come across that video and really screw things up. Voiding all his warranty's in the process. Damaged rad on the heatsync, overheating CPU running dual channel ram in single channel mode, no cable management, thinking 1 M.2 SSD is enough storage without even having a mechanical HDD, smh. It's total trash.

The lack of tools is disgusting too. I mean common the cheapest bare-bones computer tool screwdriver kit is what? $10? At least have that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 20, 2012
1290 posts
436 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Exp315 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:47 am
:rolleyes:

“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone"

Using a few wrong terms and leaving out a couple of screws seems pretty trivial. I'm as careful as I can be when I build a PC, but I wouldn't want people making a video and critiquing it in detail. I've blown up a few boards and power supplies in my time with careless mistakes. :)
I screwed my motherboard in with HDD bay screws and will never be able to get it out :|
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2005
2725 posts
242 upvotes
Pickering
Early morning laugh, thanks OP!
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5029 posts
1421 upvotes
Montreal
night blade wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 7:34 am
Early morning laugh, thanks OP!
you're welcome :)

Top