• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 8:04 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2118 posts
275 upvotes
In another world
LOL
A swiss army knife that hopefully comes with a screwdriver... ha!!!
I guess we'll find out during the rest of the video (ta ta ta taaaaaa *suspense background music*)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
gontori wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:19 am
LOL
A swiss army knife that hopefully comes with a screwdriver... ha!!!
I guess we'll find out during the rest of the video (ta ta ta taaaaaa *suspense background music*)
I'd like one swiss army knife to go please.

What for sir?

I am hoping it comes with a screwdriver so I may put together my PC build.

Here you go, a big pile of hope!
PS: Screwdrivers are in aisle 3, and cost less than an army knife.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1278 posts
505 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:36 am
[.............]
What are your thoughts?
Do you think the video should be removed? The Verge so far has disabled comments.
Do you think it is OK for a large presence like The Verge to post something like this?
Annnnd Go!
1. Freedom of speech:
they have all rights to post any good or bad PC-assemble instruction.
It is not a malicious item, just junk box.
You /they have all rights to post fun or serious or stupid rebuttal.
I have right to disregard stupid rebuttal
you have right to disregard my disregard....

2. Instead of laughing, we better remind our-self that internet
is just a reflection of world variety, with all its wise-ness and stupidity.
Good learning experience for these who believe everything google tells.
Fake news, fake PC-assemble instructions, etc...

So, while it would be right to laugh here, lets not overdo it --
next time you (my fellow reader) may [will] be the target.

Cheers!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2900 posts
1922 upvotes
The NORTH
Its the Verge, what did anyone expect?

Tomorrow the tagline will be "LOL, we trolled the internet and look what happened."
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2001
14928 posts
1748 upvotes
Oshawa
Exp315 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:13 am
The critique was funny, and I guess public video postings by outfits like The Verge are fair game, but still - I cringe to think of someone putting the harsh spotlight glare on one of my builds like that!
Well, don't post a how-to video on something you don't understand, then. Kind of like Linus reballing in the oven.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3563 posts
2419 upvotes
JAC wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 11:12 am
Well, don't post a how-to video on something you don't understand, then. Kind of like Linus reballing in the oven.
It's a bit like comparing an episode of how Mike Holmes does the job on renovating a room in your house vs. somebody filming your weekend amateur efforts, posting them online and then ridiculing them.

Yes, it's a valid point that this was posted by The Verge as professional advice, but have some sympathy! You're a professional at your day job, right? How would you feel if an efficiency expert followed you around filming you, then showed the video at a company meeting and explained all the little things you did wrong? What's that you say, you never do anything wrong? :)
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2658 posts
484 upvotes
They should just come out and say it was all a gag-video..... even if it's not.

Best line from the reaction video is " He's not fighting static, he's fighting cancer" with regards to his wristband. Although I am not sure why he did the whole video in an asian accent .....
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10813 posts
1419 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 9:47 am
:rolleyes:

“He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone"

Using a few wrong terms and leaving out a couple of screws seems pretty trivial. I'm as careful as I can be when I build a PC, but I wouldn't want people making a video and critiquing it in detail. I've blown up a few boards and power supplies in my time with careless mistakes. :)
But nobody here filmed their first PC build and posted it. You put yourself out there, then you open yourself up to criticism. He was somebody that did know what he was doing and got exposed. The guy can blame the staff all he wants of them not letting him do reshoots or correct himself, but these mistake are so terrible, how do you even make them in the first place?

And no, he did mention thing that are far beyond trivial. He kept the thermal paste of the cooler and applied more thermal paste. That much thermal paste will reduce cooling efficiency. Also the copious amounts of thermal paste he put on, if that was conductive, he's got a very good chance of frying his parts. Installing the RAM in the wrong channels and stating the GPU can go in any PCIe slot will lead others to think the same. These are things that will lead first time builders to try out different slots over and over as they trouble shoot their system because it doesn't post or see components. Who's most likely to break the motherboard? Noobs because they think they put the component in the wrong slot and because they are unsure that the item is properly installed. Also wearing a rubber bracelet is not going to ground yourself. Sure the odds of actually frying your components are minimal, but it not trivial either.

If I was Capital One, I would be furious. Sponsoring a pc building video and getting that half assed video, I wouldn't sponsor Verge ever again. You'd think Verge would have taken the video down by now.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10813 posts
1419 upvotes
coilz wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 11:51 am
They should just come out and say it was all a gag-video..... even if it's not.

Best line from the reaction video is " He's not fighting static, he's fighting cancer" with regards to his wristband. Although I am not sure why he did the whole video in an asian accent .....
"Lyle" is Kyle's alter ego. And although he doesn't look it, he's half Chinese.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 12:10 pm

If I was Capital One, I would be furious. Sponsoring a pc building video and getting that half assed video, I wouldn't sponsor Verge ever again. You'd think Verge would have taken the video down by now.
Maybe it is a smart move. Because people will have to use Capital One's warranty, or buy new parts after following the video Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3382 posts
930 upvotes
Parry Sound
Hilarious!

Do you guys think I could use a regular rubber band as an ESD wrist strap? Face With Tears Of Joy
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2900 posts
1922 upvotes
The NORTH
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:34 pm
Hilarious!

Do you guys think I could use a regular rubber band as an ESD wrist strap? Face With Tears Of Joy
Soak it in water first!!! In fact, just soak your hands in water and keep them moist throughout the build! Better safe than sorry.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
3382 posts
930 upvotes
Parry Sound
It looks like they took down the video hahaha
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:54 pm
It looks like they took down the video hahaha
I didn't notice, thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012