The internet never forgets.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1435 posts
640 upvotes
GTA
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 12:10 pm

But nobody here filmed their first PC build and posted it. You put yourself out there, then you open yourself up to criticism. He was somebody that did know what he was doing and got exposed. The guy can blame the staff all he wants of them not letting him do reshoots or correct himself, but these mistake are so terrible, how do you even make them in the first place?

And no, he did mention thing that are far beyond trivial. He kept the thermal paste of the cooler and applied more thermal paste. That much thermal paste will reduce cooling efficiency. Also the copious amounts of thermal paste he put on, if that was conductive, he's got a very good chance of frying his parts. Installing the RAM in the wrong channels and stating the GPU can go in any PCIe slot will lead others to think the same. These are things that will lead first time builders to try out different slots over and over as they trouble shoot their system because it doesn't post or see components. Who's most likely to break the motherboard? Noobs because they think they put the component in the wrong slot and because they are unsure that the item is properly installed. Also wearing a rubber bracelet is not going to ground yourself. Sure the odds of actually frying your components are minimal, but it not trivial either.

If I was Capital One, I would be furious. Sponsoring a pc building video and getting that half assed video, I wouldn't sponsor Verge ever again. You'd think Verge would have taken the video down by now.
Totally agree with everything you said there, I mentioned that earlier on page 1 and a lot of people across the web felt the same way.
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:54 pm
It looks like they took down the video hahaha
Hahaha, I was reading in a sub reddit they were mass flagging the video to youtube. I wonder if youtube deleted the video or it was simply removed by the Verge after getting bashed so hard online from Lyle, Jay 2 Cents, and everyone else.
neverhaveiever wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:00 pm
I didn't notice, thanks!
I hope someone on the internets saved the video and uploads it to a bogus channel, because the internet never forgets. That would be great. I'm gonna miss that trash video, as long as Lyle keeps his up, then we can always come back for the LULZ.
:)
Last edited by heyyahblah on Sep 17th, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2120 posts
275 upvotes
In another world
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:56 pm
The internet never forgets.
And never forgives.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2907 posts
1934 upvotes
The NORTH
gontori wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:58 pm
And never forgives.
tell Chris Brown that.... LOL
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29839 posts
4626 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 2:54 pm
It looks like they took down the video hahaha
They can't take it down

Someone actually sponsored that video. Are they going to get a refund?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
2660 posts
485 upvotes
LOL maybe Capital one told them to take it down....
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3023 posts
1732 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I would have some sympathy, but after reading his personal twitter tweets, he admits no wrongdoing and blames the internet and the rushing out the video. Like the main mistakes aren't even due to being rushed, there are serious mistakes that shouldn't be made period.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3695 posts
1395 upvotes
but he seemed so well-spoken, and confident. Surely we misjudged him...
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1435 posts
640 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 9:42 pm
I would have some sympathy, but after reading his personal twitter tweets, he admits no wrongdoing and blames the internet and the rushing out the video. Like the main mistakes aren't even due to being rushed, there are serious mistakes that shouldn't be made period.
badOne wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 10:50 pm
but he seemed so well-spoken, and confident. Surely we misjudged him...
Agreed @bomber17 As Lyle said ... Steve Erkel, sorry I meant to say Stefan Etienne http://www.twitter.com/StefanEtienne

won't even come out on Twitter or apologize or vouch for his mistakes on Twitter, even though some people were rude to him and others asked him nicely/politely to come forward about his mistakes and admit the truth that he is an Amateur and not a real tech enthusiast, and had bare minimal knowledge of what he was doing after his boss (Producer) bashed real Tech Enthusiasts on Twitter back in August.

You can see that in this Youtube video here: I included the timestamp but if it doesn't work jump to 10:16 in the video and you see why the tech guys went after The Verge, for their stupid comment the Producer made about real Techies and youtube videos. Serves them right. It's pretty sad that both Verge and Stefan won't admit that this was the worst way to build a PC in 2018.

Also, I managed to download the video before Verge/Youtube deleted it
The Internet never forgets :)
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1435 posts
640 upvotes
GTA
There have been two very interesting developments recently. The video has been removed from all of The Verge's media. It's not on their YouTube, nor their website or any social media channel. Secondly, they've published an article on their website titled [v] "YouTubers Are Not Your Friends." Seems a little too convenient to be coincidence, doesn't it? Not only are they trying to cover up, but they're trying to discredit the people explaining what they got wrong.

Also some a-wipe nilay patel is trying to play the "R" card saying they were "attacked" with internet harassment and making only minor mistakes in their video? MINOR? Seriously?

Jayztwocents and Science Studio called them out and they got blocked.

And this douche is planning to make another video in the future. I hope it gets super negative feedback as well and gets pulled for this b/s they are trying to run on us here. This is just disgusting dude. Man up to your mistakes. R card, and harassment campaigns. Pathetic.

Also, please read the LULZ on this Twitter status. Just plain hilarious
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1488 upvotes
Montreal
heyyahblah wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 1:48 am
There have been two very interesting developments recently. The video has been removed from all of The Verge's media. It's not on their YouTube, nor their website or any social media channel. Secondly, they've published an article on their website titled [v] "YouTubers Are Not Your Friends." Seems a little too convenient to be coincidence, doesn't it? Not only are they trying to cover up, but they're trying to discredit the people explaining what they got wrong.

Also some a-wipe nilay patel is trying to play the "R" card saying they were "attacked" with internet harassment and making only minor mistakes in their video? MINOR? Seriously?

Jayztwocents and Science Studio called them out and they got blocked.

And this douche is planning to make another video in the future. I hope it gets super negative feedback as well and gets pulled for this b/s they are trying to run on us here. This is just disgusting dude. Man up to your mistakes. R card, and harassment campaigns. Pathetic.

Also, please read the LULZ on this Twitter status. Just plain hilarious
Wow! That is my only reaction. Wow.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2704 posts
1233 upvotes
Burlington
What racist attacks? I'm confused, can only white people build pcs or something? lol
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3695 posts
1395 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:17 am
What racist attacks? I'm confused, can only white people build pcs or something? lol
No, no. Only Asians can. They taught the Whites.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2907 posts
1934 upvotes
The NORTH
badOne wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:27 am
No, no. Only Asians can. They taught the Whites.
Thats Racist!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1435 posts
640 upvotes
GTA
Dpack22 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:17 am
I know right? This is why the Verge is so pathetic. I hope all of the internet gives them negative feedback. I sure as hell well. There were 0 racist attacks, that's the sad part that this douchebag patel is claiming on his Twitter. Instead of owning up to their mistakes, they blame the internet, blame everyone for being racist, and block real enthusiasts who were even trying to help them give them suggestions. Linus even offered to help, but after this "R" card B/S by this patel moron I hope Verge gets burned bad.

That's what got me when I read that. What does building a PC incorrectly and showing the world have anything to do with racism?