Travel

How to obtain a USD credit card, either in Canada or in the States (Niagara area NY)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2013 3:10 am
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
22 posts
Niagara falls

How to obtain a USD credit card, either in Canada or in the States (Niagara area NY)

Greetings,

I work for tips and get quite a bit in American, so when I plan trips to the USA (Florida a couple times a year) flights are paid for with credit cards. However, the exchange is in favor of the USD right now and the fact that credit card companies charge 2.5% in addition to the exchange... Well, it can add up quick.

Does anyone else here own a USD credit card? I cross border shop, so I don't mind getting one while I'm over in the states if need be, but I would prefer if it can be Canadian based (much less of a hassle for including billing addresses and such).

Based on my looking around on google, I noticed TD offers one, but I don't have a bank account with them nor do I wish to pay the $39 annual fee.

Thanks!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
345 upvotes
Brisbane
Might wanna do a search in the Personal Finance forum. First thing that comes to mind is the Amazon Visa with no exchange fees. Lots of activity about that one.
Dec 20, 2011
123 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
sears mastercard has no foriegn exchange fees
Jan 3, 2011
386 posts
144 upvotes
Toronto
BMO has a USD Mastercard. If I remember correctly, they waive the first annual fee ($35) and as long as you spend over $1000 on it yearly, they waive the fee every year.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20262 posts
13606 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Go all the way and get a USD bank account and a US VISA from a US bank. Look at either TD or Royal Bank for linked accounts with the US version of these banks. That way, you will actually have a credit card based in the US...
Jan 14, 2011
83 posts
11 upvotes
royroces wrote: BMO has a USD Mastercard. If I remember correctly, they waive the first annual fee ($35) and as long as you spend over $1000 on it yearly, they waive the fee every year.
I had one of these for a few years. You can go to BMO and pay in USD on the card. The fees mentioned are correct.

I just replaced this card with the Marriott Visa as there is no foreign exchange surcharge if I want to use the card outside of the US.
Mar 7, 2012
194 posts
68 upvotes
+1 on the Marriott Rewards Visa card. No currency exchange fee.
Great signup bonus as well; a fantastic card for travelling to the US.

More details on cards at Milesbuzz! Flyertalk forum
[OP]
Nov 28, 2008
22 posts
Niagara falls
Thanks everyone,

It seemed the BMO USD MasterCard is the best way for me to go. I have no need for foreign exchange surcharge being waved, since I have USDs in a bank account already.
Nov 20, 2010
149 posts
18 upvotes
There is also the Amazon Chase Visa Card that is super popular on this forum (that you can get in Canada). Basically a no conversion fee and no annual fee card that gives 1% on regular purchases and 2% on amazon purchases.