Personal Finance

How often can my landlord show my place?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2010 1:53 am
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
176 posts
1 upvote

How often can my landlord show my place?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently renting a condo in downtown Toronto and was wondering how often is the landlord allowed to show my place?

Thanks in advance!
15 replies
[OP]
Dec 13, 2008
176 posts
1 upvote
James_TheVirus wrote: Once you give notice....as much as required.
What if it's the landlord's decision to sell the place?

And it seems unreasonable that there's an unlimited number of showing..... that's too disruptive.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3176 posts
806 upvotes
Alberta
iwantjasper wrote: What if it's the landlord's decision to sell the place?

And it seems unreasonable that there's an unlimited number of showing..... that's too disruptive.
That's part of the fun being a renter dude. He can show it 30 times a day if he wants.

That being said, you aren't obligated to leave or anything. When I lived in an apartment a buyer came to view the place. Him and the realtor walked around my room as I was sleeping (I was half awake). I didn't really care.
Nov 18, 2009
283 posts
180 upvotes

As long as they give you 24 hours notice and the showing is between 8a.m. and 8p.m. he can show it as many times a day as he wants.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
1043 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
scouzer wrote: That's part of the fun being a renter dude. He can show it 30 times a day if he wants.

That being said, you aren't obligated to leave or anything. When I lived in an apartment a buyer came to view the place. Him and the realtor walked around my room as I was sleeping (I was half awake). I didn't really care.
haha! that's awesome!!
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
scouzer wrote: That's part of the fun being a renter dude. He can show it 30 times a day if he wants.

Did they take their shoes off?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Feb 1, 2010
107 posts
29 upvotes
Mississauga/Brampton

Anytime between 8 and 8 with 24 hours written notice for potential buyers.

Also keep in mind that if the home sells, you may have to move if the new owners plan on living in the home.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2009
1548 posts
499 upvotes
Edmonton

Should of been naked & introduced your self. :D
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2695 upvotes
SummerGold wrote: Anytime between 8 and 8 with 24 hours written notice for potential buyers.
+1
SummerGold wrote: Also keep in mind that if the home sells, you may have to move if the new owners plan on living in the home.
I think the whole point of showing is with an assumption that the previous occupant is moving out. :D
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
29 upvotes
eldiablo wrote: I think the whole point of showing is with an assumption that the previous occupant is moving out. :D
Not necessarily. The purchaser may very well want to keep the unit as a rental property in which case he may wish to assume the OP's tenancy unless terminated.

OP, if you work 8-6 for example, the Landlord's agent can't just show the unit as many times as he likes in the evening or on the weekend when you are home. He needs to respect your right to reasonable enjoyment and use of your home. Your Landlord must also give you notice detailing each scheduled showing 24 hours in advance of a showing (see below). If either of these are not being carried out, complain in writing to the Landlord and keep a copy of that. If things don't change after that, complain to the Landlord and Tenant Board (see process below).

OP, read this to the extent it applies to you at this time:
http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/STEL02_111281.html

(2) A landlord or, with the written authorization of a landlord, a broker or salesperson registered under the Real Estate and Business Brokers Act, 2002, may enter a rental unit in accordance with written notice given to the tenant at least 24 hours before the time of entry to allow a potential purchaser to view the rental unit. 2006, c. 17, s. 27 (2).

Contents of notice

(3) The written notice under subsection (1) or (2) shall specify the reason for entry, the day of entry and a time of entry between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. 2006, c. 17, s. 27 (3).
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
402 upvotes
GT&A
^^^ I like your avatar.
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
29 upvotes
Beeg wrote: You are not the King or Queen of the unit.

They can show it as often as they like.

Oh, what an "inconvenience." :D
Me thinks you despise tenants. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
29 upvotes
longitude wrote: ^^^ I like your avatar.
Thank you. It took me many hours of going through avatars to find one I thought would suit me. :)
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3176 posts
806 upvotes
Alberta
XShadowX wrote: Should of been naked & introduced your self. :D
I was in my boxers. I didn't even roll over or look at them.