• Sep 14th, 2020 3:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
182 posts
211 upvotes
Ontario

How often can you port your number?

Sorry if there's an obvious place to look for the answer but I can't find it. How often can you port your number between carriers? A Public Forum post mentioned 30 days but idk if that was Public specific.

I'm not trying to do something shady, want to switch from Fido (13GB/$50) to Freedom (1.5GB/$20). It's a big jump in data and I know Freedom has a... reputation, so I want to make sure that I can switch back to Fido or switch to Lucky Mobile if need be. Thanks!
9 replies
Aug 7, 2010
257 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I feel like if there was a limit on how many times you can port a number...it would be listed here

(https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm)

But since it's not...you should be able to switch as many times as you like

Someone else may have to chime in on this one though...now I'm curious what the answer is and the situation doesn't even apply to me!
Nov 30, 2016
879 posts
1088 upvotes
Mississauga
How often? Should be unlimited. What are they going to do? Ban you from using that number? Those clowns can't agree on anything!

How soon or how quickly can you port out? Now this is a more relevant question, as there might be some small financial impact to porting out within a certain arbitrary window, but shouldn't be anything major, just the loss of a few days subscription fees plus sim cost and/or connection fees. I have done a Koodo to Wind to Mobilicity to Koodo round trip in less than a week. This was a few years ago, but nothing has changed since then. Koodo wouldn't let me have my old plan back so after a couple of months, I dumped them for Fongo (calls) plus Fido (data), then a year later, I went on to Freedom.

Worst case, if anyone tries to stop you, you can go whine to the CRTC about how their services are unusable in your basement apartment and you can't lose the number as it is tied to your job.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
MrBear2019 wrote: Sorry if there's an obvious place to look for the answer but I can't find it. How often can you port your number between carriers? A Public Forum post mentioned 30 days but idk if that was Public specific.

I'm not trying to do something shady, want to switch from Fido (13GB/$50) to Freedom (1.5GB/$20). It's a big jump in data and I know Freedom has a... reputation, so I want to make sure that I can switch back to Fido or switch to Lucky Mobile if need be. Thanks!
You can port as often as you want. Sometimes if you try to port out of a carrier and immediately back, your original carrier can have trouble porting you back in due to their system still having your number in there from your previous account (Koodo, for example, has this problem which is why people always say to port out to Koodo or PM prepaid and then port back in, if you want to move a number between Koodo accounts)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Sep 27, 2003
10206 posts
2752 upvotes
Newmarket
MrBear2019 wrote: Sorry if there's an obvious place to look for the answer but I can't find it. How often can you port your number between carriers? A Public Forum post mentioned 30 days but idk if that was Public specific.

You may need to wait for your Fido billing cycle to clear before you can port back in. Other than that, no issue.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32846 posts
6491 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I would just order new Freedom line and use it for a week to see how well it works. I wouldn’t bother porting right away

If you are satisfied with the service you can port shortly afterwards
[OP]
Jun 15, 2020
182 posts
211 upvotes
Ontario
Gee wrote: I would just order new Freedom line and use it for a week to see how well it works. I wouldn’t bother porting right away

If you are satisfied with the service you can port shortly afterwards
So get a new sim with a new number, try it out, and then if I like it port my old number to the new sim? Had no idea I could do that, wouldn't I have to reset my Freedom plan when I port my old number?

Plus, I don't really want to be without my old phone number for any extended period of time to test out a new sim (my phone doesn't have a Dual Sim and I only have one phone). I don't really intend on going back to Fido since my main goal is to save money, so if Freedom doesn't work out I'll probably switch to Lucky.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32846 posts
6491 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MrBear2019 wrote: So get a new sim with a new number, try it out, and then if I like it port my old number to the new sim? Had no idea I could do that, wouldn't I have to reset my Freedom plan when I port my old number?
You don’t need to reset your plan when you port. You don’t even need to change your SIM. It will be seamless

Did you verify that your current phone support Freedom’s 1700 AWS band?

If you plan to port out regardless. I guess it doesn’t really matter. Have you looked at Public Mobile?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18785 posts
8461 upvotes
Oakville
MrBear2019 wrote: So get a new sim with a new number, try it out, and then if I like it port my old number to the new sim? Had no idea I could do that, wouldn't I have to reset my Freedom plan when I port my old number?

Plus, I don't really want to be without my old phone number for any extended period of time to test out a new sim (my phone doesn't have a Dual Sim and I only have one phone). I don't really intend on going back to Fido since my main goal is to save money, so if Freedom doesn't work out I'll probably switch to Lucky.
If you're not planning on going back to Fido, then it really doesn't matter. Might as well port immediately to Freedom, and then if you don't like Freedom, port over to Lucky. There shouldn't be any limitations preventing you from doing that at all.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3194 posts
1585 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Just port to Freedom, and wait for a winback offer from Fido (usually 2 - 3 days after you port Fido will call you on the number). Although, the offer currently stands for BYOD is $50/15GB unlimited or $40/9GB unlimited I believe.

Check out Fido Winback in the deal section here on RFD!!!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!