• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 9:28 am
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto

How often do you fill up coolant?

On my MB GLK, I top up just a bit every 2 years. On my previous Mazda 3 and Hyundai Sonata I never filled it. On my 2019 CX-9, its basically down to the low mark now which i find a bit troubling. How much do you normally fill and how often?
40 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
Never on my 12 year old civic.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Jruuu wrote: Never on my 12 year old civic.
Well that doesnt inspire hope for my CX-9 lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
trixstar wrote: On my MB GLK, I top up just a bit every 2 years. On my previous Mazda 3 and Hyundai Sonata I never filled it. On my 2019 CX-9, its basically down to the low mark now which i find a bit troubling. How much do you normally fill and how often?
Never. If you're losing coolant, you have a leak. Hopefully not in the head gasket.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Never. If you're losing coolant, you have a leak. Hopefully not in the head gasket.
Christ.... its could be a crack in the block or a head gasket.. the new mazda turbo engines are getting replaced left right and center on the forums. I’ll document the level, fill and observe before taking it in.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Put a tester on it and pressure up the system with the car off. Should help find the culprit
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Apr 5, 2010
951 posts
227 upvotes
Never. You have a leak. Look for residue underneath and all over the engine. Fix it or you're going to run into larger problems that can get up to an engine replacement.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: Put a tester on it and pressure up the system with the car off. Should help find the culprit
i might not be able to find it since I presume this could be a slow leak
iHop wrote: Never. You have a leak. Look for residue underneath and all over the engine. Fix it or you're going to run into larger problems that can get up to an engine replacement.
I don’t see any pooling anywhere. Ill have a look underneath the engine tomorrow and will call Mazda to book a service appointment
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10332 posts
6699 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Should be never although I believe, could be wrong, that some new vehicles might need a top off in first year.

Possibly due to purging air out of system?? But no expert.

On new subaru we topped off in first year and not since.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
If its still under warranty bring it to the dealer and have them document it?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3476 posts
3998 upvotes
GTA
If it is a gasket leak the coolant is being lost out the tail pipe. You might see some white smoke but if it is a slow leak it may be hard to see.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
DaveTheDude wrote: If it is a gasket leak the coolant is being lost out the tail pipe. You might see some white smoke but if it is a slow leak it may be hard to see.
I was looking at block testers with the blue chemical to detect blown head gaskets. Anyone know whether its effective or worthwhile? Just worried Mazda might not do anything about this issue. I’ve had bad experiences with Mazda’s service department at some dealers.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3476 posts
3998 upvotes
GTA
trixstar wrote: I was looking at block testers with the blue chemical to detect blown head gaskets. Anyone know whether its effective or worthwhile? Just worried Mazda might not do anything about this issue. I’ve had bad experiences with Mazda’s service department at some dealers.
You can try one of the low priced kits or take it to an independent mechanic. Another indicator is if you see bubbles forming in the coolant overflow tank or when you pull the radiator cap with the engine running.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Did you check it when you first got it? Maybe that's where it started.
Is there any evidence of coolant in your oil? Or is there any evidence of oil in your coolant?
Anyhow it should still be under warranty if there is a leak.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Did you check it when you first got it? Maybe that's where it started.
Is there any evidence of coolant in your oil? Or is there any evidence of oil in your coolant?
Anyhow it should still be under warranty if there is a leak.
Yeah the coolant was close to the full mark. I haven’t checked since because i don’t normally fill coolant. I don’t notice anything odd about the oil when i change it out. The coolant reservoir is also clear and not murky
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Never. As others have said, you’re topping up there’s an issue…
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
trixstar wrote: Yeah the coolant was close to the full mark. I haven’t checked since because i don’t normally fill coolant. I don’t notice anything odd about the oil when i change it out. The coolant reservoir is also clear and not murky
Well, that's not a ton over 3 years. Probably a tiny leak from a hose clamp or water pump seal. It's less than your Benz.
Was both times you looked at it the same temperature? ie, cold engine?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Well, that's not a ton over 3 years. Probably a tiny leak from a hose clamp or water pump seal. It's less than your Benz.
Was both times you looked at it the same temperature? ie, cold engine?
I don't recall what temperature I checked it at the first time around. We've had this car for 2 years now. I checked it while it was piping hot today after the drive home from work. I'll check again tomorrow before I leave work. Can't check it at home since its on the driveway and the driveway is super steep. My guess is that it's going to show even less coolant on a cool engine.
Dec 3, 2004
793 posts
8 upvotes
I have a 335 with the N54 engine and I filled mine last year and prior it was a year.. I thought I had a leak somewhere so I brought it to my mechanic and did a pressure test and came back fine.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Code85 wrote: I have a 335 with the N54 engine and I filled mine last year and prior it was a year.. I thought I had a leak somewhere so I brought it to my mechanic and did a pressure test and came back fine.
Could be a leak in the cap, allowing steam to escape when it's hot, but the pressure test doesn't check the cap.