How often do you fill up coolant?

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 9:28 am
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19316 posts
3006 upvotes
Woodbridge
engineered wrote: Never. If you're losing coolant, you have a leak. Hopefully not in the head gasket.
My boy's had to top up theirs.

My CivicX over 4 years is normal and I tried doing a curb side at Honda. A lady called me back and basically said ^ this.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4395 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
trixstar wrote: i might not be able to find it since I presume this could be a slow leak
How do you think a shop identifies a leak??? Your already shooting down ideas you have no idea about.
You pressurize it to the max your system holds and if there is an external leak, it will be found guaranteed. Look at any dried off coolant around engine. Usually it's do hot it will dry off before a drop ever touches the ground
trixstar wrote: I was looking at block testers with the blue chemical to detect blown head gaskets. Anyone know whether its effective or worthwhile? Just worried Mazda might not do anything about this issue. I’ve had bad experiences with Mazda’s service department at some dealers.
Yes they actually work 100%. Even the tiniest of head gasket leaks will be found this way. Trust me. Get the original one, I can't speak for any other brands
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4395 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
engineered wrote: Could be a leak in the cap, allowing steam to escape when it's hot, but the pressure test doesn't check the cap.

Yes it does. There are cap adapters and every pressure test I do or even heard of includes a cap test (which takes a while lot of 15 seconds)
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1739 upvotes
Clarington, ON
There's a leak. A 19 should still have some warranty so I don't understand why this isn't going to the dealer to be documented and sorted out.

Side note: waiting for the EV fan club to show up and tell us they never add coolant.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28706 posts
9300 upvotes
Hamilton
We used to fill up a little on our 2006 4runner (just recent years)
hated on but respected.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13564 posts
2942 upvotes
Toronto
Mazda said its normal and not to fill the reservoir tank. Said to leave it at the L mark. This doesnt seem right
Images
  • 8DB0045B-33D2-420C-9E38-059AC8CC040E.jpeg
Last edited by trixstar on May 26th, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13383 posts
7646 upvotes
It's a pressurized, closed system, that can and will change its volume due to temperature changes. This is the reason for the reservoir tank, and why that tank has a low ( cold ) and a high ( hot ) marking. As long as the level stays between the 2, you are fine. That said, if it drops below the L mark, and stays there, it is leaking.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13564 posts
2942 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: It's a pressurized, closed system, that can and will change its volume due to temperature changes. This is the reason for the reservoir tank, and why that tank has a low ( cold ) and a high ( hot ) marking. As long as the level stays between the 2, you are fine. That said, if it drops below the L mark, and stays there, it is leaking.
Ahh gotcha
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3076 posts
901 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
I had to top off the coolant a couple times on my MK7 GTI. The thermostat housing is known as a weak spot on these cars. For whatever reason VW can't figure out how to make a thermostat housing that doesn't leak (I think they are on revision L or M at this point). I took my car to the dealer and they did a pressure test and found no issues.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2013
1256 posts
345 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
on my W204 C Class I used to fill up once per 1-2 years. I tried to buy a jug of antifreeze one time from the parts dept of MB Markham, but the parts guy sent me to the service dept of MB Markham, they filled it up free of charge no question asked.Free is good. Must also happen to a lot of owners too.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
143 upvotes
Brampton
I do. Either it is water pump issue or burning coolant due to high-pressure small displacement turbo engine.
Penalty Box
May 3, 2010
317 posts
143 upvotes
Brampton
bargain man wrote: I had to top off the coolant a couple times on my MK7 GTI. The thermostat housing is known as a weak spot on these cars. For whatever reason VW can't figure out how to make a thermostat housing that doesn't leak (I think they are on revision L or M at this point). I took my car to the dealer and they did a pressure test and found no issues.
Me too. Pressure test doesn’t guarantee whereas vw is known for water pump issues reported in Atlas lately.
Oct 4, 2010
873 posts
477 upvotes
Surrey
my coolant level changes depending on when it's checked. After driving, before driving, cold, overnight. will be different but always somewhere between L and F.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
619 upvotes
trixstar wrote: Mazda said its normal and not to fill the reservoir tank. Said to leave it at the L mark. This doesnt seem right
At low level, you might not get heat on idle.

Do you smell coolant while driving from time to time? Small external leaks are not a concern. The main concern is coolant in the engine oil. Check the engine oil for coolant if you can't smell the coolant leaks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13564 posts
2942 upvotes
Toronto
the2ndme wrote: At low level, you might not get heat on idle.

Do you smell coolant while driving from time to time? Small external leaks are not a concern. The main concern is coolant in the engine oil. Check the engine oil for coolant if you can't smell the coolant leaks.
I don’t smell anything from the vents. On the last oil change, the oil looked normal. Nothing frothy or milk like.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
619 upvotes
trixstar wrote: I don’t smell anything from the vents. On the last oil change, the oil looked normal. Nothing frothy or milk like.
Blackstone's USD$30 oil tests include ant-freeze %.

Price/test breakdowns
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Source: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... ck.305338/

"netParcel" can save you some money on shipping ( https://netparcel.com/home.action ).
Dec 3, 2004
793 posts
8 upvotes
engineered wrote: Could be a leak in the cap, allowing steam to escape when it's hot, but the pressure test doesn't check the cap.
Ohhhhhh I haven't thought about that. lol But I'll keep an eye on it
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4128 posts
4354 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have an MK7 golf, so I check it constantly and top it off a couple times a year (common issue).
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16768 posts
5363 upvotes
Toronto
I think I topped up my coolant on my 2012 Camry once in the last 10 years. When I got the vehicle new, the coolant was not at full but mid way. The dealer topped it up and then I didn't need to do anything until they replaced the coolant at 160K. If you are adding coolant often, you must have a leak somewhere as modern vehicles should not be sucking coolant where the overflow tank would go from full to add within the coolant change intervals.
Last edited by hightech on May 31st, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.